Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 05:47 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,095,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
More than that. Our house is much smaller, (1400 w single garage) 5 years ago the roof cost $8,500 for dimensional shingles. You could probably do it a bit cheaper with the single tab type.
You are always so generous with specifics. Thank you.

BTW--what is a dimensional shingle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 05:51 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,427,722 times
Roof decking is the large square plywood pieces of the roof. They are attached to the roof trusses. Think of the roof trusses as the skeleton and the roof decking as the skin. Then the sheathing and the shingles are placed over the roof decking.. Think of the sheathing and shingles as layered clothing on top of the skin.

You dont need to have shingles(asphallt)...you can go with a metal roof or tile or slate. They are somewhat cheaper to insure and don't need to be replaced as often but are more costly. A metal roof can last 50 years. Shingle (aka asphalt) roofs don't last that long in Florida due to the sun/heat.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Roof decking is the large square plywood pieces of the roof. They are attached to the roof trusses. Think of the roof trusses as the skeleton and the roof decking as the skin. Then the sheathing and the shingles are placed over the roof decking.. Think of the sheathing and shingles as layered clothing on top of the skin.

You dont need to have shingles(asphallt)...you can go with a metal roof or tile or slate. They are somewhat cheaper to insure and don't need to be replaced as often but are more costly. A metal roof can last 50 years. Shingle (aka asphalt) roofs don't last that long in Florida due to the sun/heat.
The analogy makes it sooo clear.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:00 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,992,288 times
On a home built in 1940, there is probably tongue and groove dimensional lumber, not plywood, as the roof deck. If so, this is the best (they dont make them like they used to, lol). But probably no roof to wall connectors....

But those older homes are built solid.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:04 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,992,288 times
Roof prices have gone up in the last 5 years because they are now required to re-nail the roof deck to current code. This is a recent change. My roof last year on a 1400 SF house with large lanai and 2 car garage was $10k- asphalt shingles, but they had to replace about 10 sheets of plywood.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
But probably no roof to wall connectors.....

Is there something that can be done about this? You may have already explained this to me, but I didn't get it.

Here in California, the issue is the fastners from the house to the foundation. Old houses are not attached to the foundation in a way that will withstand an earthquake. Houses can be retrofitted with earthquake tie downs. Having your house jump off the foundation can ruin your whole day.

I am thinking about how small the space is in the attic around the perimeter. It seems like it would be very difficult to retrofit with fasteners from the inside.

I guess every area of the country has its issues. One good thing about hurricanes is you get more warning than with tornadoes or earthquakes.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post

This was a very interesting link that I missed in my first read of your post. It mentions the possibility of an area being changed from high risk to moderate risk. Wouldn't that be awesome? I had secretly hoped for that, but assumed I was engaging in unrealistic thinking. And if it is in a government publication, is that a sign that it is realistic or unrealistic?

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of travelers. Neptune is the god of the seas. I want to know who is the deity in charge of "elevation". Who do I make offering to in exchange for a zone B designation?

Old 06-13-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
For other flood information visit - www.floodsmart.gov
This has been an amazingly helpful link. Sometimes it is the ONLY way I can figure out if something is in a flood zone. Thank you for posting it.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:58 AM

4,893 posts, read 14,112,659 times
In regards to being more concerned about flooding than hurricanes, now that Florida has entered the infamous hurricane season, if you do a bit of investigating regarding flooding, IMO, you'll find more flooding with damage inland than coastal. The barrier islands do get street flooding and beach erosion but not retain water like inland lowlands. It's pretty much a crapshoot; case in point, "Andrea", first storm of the season, blazed tornado trails instate but gave northern coastal areas a run for their money as well. It never ceases to amaze me how people continue to freak out about our hurricane season in Florida when the rest of the U.S. has seen crazy weather disasters in the past twelve months.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
In regards to being more concerned about flooding than hurricanes, now that Florida has entered the infamous hurricane season, if you do a bit of investigating regarding flooding, IMO, you'll find more flooding with damage inland than coastal. The barrier islands do get street flooding and beach erosion but not retain water like inland lowlands. It's pretty much a crapshoot; case in point, "Andrea", first storm of the season, blazed tornado trails instate but gave northern coastal areas a run for their money as well. It never ceases to amaze me how people continue to freak out about our hurricane season in Florida when the rest of the U.S. has seen crazy weather disasters in the past twelve months.
How far inland are the lowlands in Sarasota?

The unfamiliar is always scary. Earthquakes freak some people out about California but most people I know are a little excited when they get to feel one ,or else, they are totally indifferent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area