Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 03:07 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,464 times

Advertisements

Is it unbelievably hot and humid? We can tolerate some heat if we can get in the water and there is some wind, but not sure whether there will be wind and whether the humidity will be overwhelming. We live up in New Jersey and can easily tolerate the heat/humidity of the southern NJ shore. Thanks for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 03:52 PM

913 posts, read 2,361,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Species 8472 View Post
Is it unbelievably hot and humid? We can tolerate some heat if we can get in the water and there is some wind, but not sure whether there will be wind and whether the humidity will be overwhelming. We live up in New Jersey and can easily tolerate the heat/humidity of the southern NJ shore. Thanks for your thoughts!
It will be hot, but if you are on the key there will always be a breeze. The water temp will be getting close to 90 by then. All this being said, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:40 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Species 8472 View Post
No it will be great. We did a month in Aug on Siesta before we moved here (from NJ) to see if we could stand it. It's about the same as NJ's hottest days.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:19 PM

490 posts, read 623,657 times
Usually in August I'm surprised to find its hotter in every other place I've lived than it is here. I love to call or message friends and relatives to rub it in. I think it's more fun than teasing them in the winter about how cold they are

Old 06-15-2013, 05:38 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
While it is not as hot as some would have you believe, it is assuredly hotter than these last couple of well-intended posters would have you believe. I grew up and lived in some miserably hot places (Jersey, DC), and it's hotter here in August, obviously.

That said, there is a gulf breeze, and it is gorgeous. Stay hydrated and remember the sun is actually even hotter than it feels, so put the sunscreen on for real.

Enjoy!

Old 06-15-2013, 08:21 PM

110 posts, read 173,838 times
Are we crazy for taking a trip to Siesta Key mid-August?

Why would you even ask such a silly question? Either you know it is crazy or you want some people to assure you it is not..

Old 06-15-2013, 08:40 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunka View Post
Are we crazy for taking a trip to Siesta Key mid-August?

Why would you even ask such a silly question? Either you know it is crazy or you want some people to assure you it is not..

Why would you post such a silly reply? Either one knows something about the climate of an area in mid-August, which would obviate the need for the question, or one does not and seeks to understand that climate.

Duh

All other responses, thus far, have been helpful.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:50 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,198,652 times
The difference is the sun (which is so hot), and the water. The water is so warm you cannot get cool. I lived my life in the NE and loved the cold waters on a hot day. Florida is the opposite. Hot days, hot water. You sweat in the gulf!

Old 06-15-2013, 11:12 PM

490 posts, read 623,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
While it is not as hot as some would have you believe, it is assuredly hotter than these last couple of well-intended posters would have you believe. I grew up and lived in some miserably hot places (Jersey, DC), and it's hotter here in August, obviously.

That said, there is a gulf breeze, and it is gorgeous. Stay hydrated and remember the sun is actually even hotter than it feels, so put the sunscreen on for real.

Enjoy!
He's right. My glasses have always had a slight rose tint to them

Old 06-16-2013, 01:57 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
The difference is the sun (which is so hot), and the water. The water is so warm you cannot get cool. I lived my life in the NE and loved the cold waters on a hot day. Florida is the opposite. Hot days, hot water. You sweat in the gulf!
Yes, I agree -- you will not be able to cool off in the Gulf. When my Mom moved down there, it was early September. We went to the beach and the sun was unbearably hot. I went in the Gulf to cool off but it was like bath water. It is NOT like the ocean off the Jersey shore. I don't remember that there was much of a breeze that day either.

Believe me, I am as "pro" Bradenton/Sarasota as they get, but I'm just being honest, as someone who's lived at both the Jersey shore and Bradenton. You may still enjoy the beauty of the island and Gulf waters, but just know what to expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area