U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 12:15 PM

57 posts, read 62,096 times

Advertisements

We are replacing real bamboo floors in the bedrooms our new home. We hate bamboo if you're wondering why....

We have been told laminate is a better choice in Florida, because of the heat and humidity, than wood, as we will not be living in the house full time---- and it will be subject to some temperature fluctuations even though we keep the air on...........and we have to admit, some of the oak laminate is hard to tell from the real wood planks.

At home laminate would devalue a $500,000 house----what about in Sarasota??? Any real experience and thoughts based on that experience? Also, if we go with the Home Depot installation route---how do you get a GOOD INSTALLER from Home Depot? Supposedly it's an idiot proof installation....be we don't want the idiot installing the floors---we toured plenty of houses where the floor moved up and down. They don't do that where we currently live.......have to think it's the quality of the installation......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 12:36 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,771,400 times
I personally love a high quality laminate, but in my opinion it would devalue a $500k house. At that price point, people expect wood. There is not enough love yet for laminate. However, it is your house. If you're not planning to sell for 20 years, it really shouldn't matter that much.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:38 PM

57 posts, read 62,096 times
Wouldn't expect it to last that long....figuring 10 years would be right...on the outside. We may not like Florida either....you never know........

Old 06-16-2013, 12:43 PM

4,948 posts, read 17,667,171 times
All I know is the floor needs to be real level and then they do a moisture test.
Also it can be a glue down or a floating floor why not contact some flooring place near you for an installer.

Real wood will add to the resale value and since it is in a bedroom won't get lots of traffic.

HD deals with 3rd party vendors so I am not sure how you do get a good one.

Being also in Florida many people go the tile route with a nice area rug over it.

If your neighbors have wood I would do wood to save the value but get what you enjoy.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:44 PM

16,300 posts, read 34,993,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandcreek View Post
We are replacing real bamboo floors in the bedrooms our new home. We hate bamboo if you're wondering why....

We have been told laminate is a better choice in Florida, because of the heat and humidity, than wood, as we will not be living in the house full time---- and it will be subject to some temperature fluctuations even though we keep the air on...........and we have to admit, some of the oak laminate is hard to tell from the real wood planks.

At home laminate would devalue a $500,000 house----what about in Sarasota??? Any real experience and thoughts based on that experience? Also, if we go with the Home Depot installation route---how do you get a GOOD INSTALLER from Home Depot? Supposedly it's an idiot proof installation....be we don't want the idiot installing the floors---we toured plenty of houses where the floor moved up and down. They don't do that where we currently live.......have to think it's the quality of the installation......
Whatever you put, DON'T GO WITH HOME DEPOT! There are good flooring places with excellent installers, where you will get better service and just as good prices. I just put a nice laminate in my kitchen to float over some very ugly (and damaged) floor tiles. I used Carpet Depot just north of the airport - they are a family owned business, great customer service, all kinds of flooring to choose from.

You actually can go laminate (no wood) engineered wood or all hardwood. If you want wood, go with engineered, the top is hardwood and it is more durable for Florida. While today's laminates look beautiful and you can barely tell them from the real thing, laminate will most definitely devalue a higher end home.

Good luck!

Old 06-16-2013, 01:54 PM

398 posts, read 768,617 times
We went engineered wood over a cement floor. We had the proper moisture testing done. Our neighbors went laminate & you can tell the difference in looks & sound ( tap tap click click)

I'm pretty sure they used something like this under the Wood:"Boston Ultra-Set SingleStep
Bostik Ultra-Set® SingleStep™ is a one-part, trowel applied, tacking, moisture-cure urethane adhesive, moisture vapor and sound reduction membrane. This scientifically formulated adhesive and membrane is very tenacious, has extremely low moisture permeability, and is formulated with Bostik’s patent pending Thickness-Control™ Spacer Technology to ensure proper membrane thickness between hardwood flooring and the substrate. Bostik’s Ultra-Set SingleStep does NOT contain any water, and has zero VOC's as per SCAQMD 1168."

Agree there are great local places. Private message me if you want to know who we used.

Good luck.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:57 PM

913 posts, read 2,209,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandcreek View Post

I have lamninate in Ohio and would never install in Florida. Laminate flooring hates water. I made the mistake of installing in the kitchen and have had to replace sections twice. Water supply line into the fridge broke and the dishwasher leaked. Laminate is pretty hard, but will be scratched by sand. If I had to do over again, I would use engineered wood.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:11 PM

767 posts, read 1,010,938 times
12 years ago I put laminate in my kitchen and have never had a problem. We installed engineered floors all throughout rest of house about 5 years ago. Yes, you can tell the difference with the wood vs laminate, but the laminate has held up beautifully and looks as if we just installed it.

I have no desire to have laminate in my FL home. Wood, engineered or real would be fine. I prefer tile though.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:50 PM

3,979 posts, read 9,591,158 times
We have engineered hardwood in our home and it is holding up very well. Laminate does not last as long as ceramic tile floors. I have shown many homes with laminate flooring and it just does not hold up to wear and tear.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:04 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,403,874 times
Yeah laminate feels cheap - not appropriate for a 500k+ house IMHO. It was in parts of our house when we bought it and it came right out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area