Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 08:13 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,506,760 times

Advertisements

Really - I am not kidding - we are new to Florida and my husband's coworkers were telling him that giant mosquitos are on their way and that they are not repelled by bug spray. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 PM

122 posts, read 323,808 times
Yes. RUN!!!

Old 06-12-2013, 09:03 PM

83 posts, read 179,036 times
Crazy Ants are here.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:40 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,107,268 times
Oh my dear, I thought that was an urban legend if there ever was one. Went to Snopes to debunk.

Learned the government is spying on us with high tech mosquitoes that are remotely controlled, have a camera and microphone, and that can sample your DNA if it lands on you. Check the picture below. Just kidding. That is an urban legend but not so unbelievable given all the recent news.

However the truth is sad. Time Magazine claims the University of Florida is predicting a summer invasion of mosquitoes that are 20x normal size. Wish I was kidding. I was just sure it was a case of play with the newcomers head, but no....

‘Giant’ Mosquitoes Set to Invade Florida This Summer | TIME.com

Somehow the name gallinipper sounds appropriate. Wish I had thought of that for a screen name.
Attached Thumbnails
Are there really giant mosquitos coming our way?-drone.jpg  

Old 06-13-2013, 07:41 PM

4,792 posts, read 10,617,090 times
They aren't 'coming' to FL; already there, and in many other states, including northern states.

'Gallinipper' is really a general term that has been used to describe family of flying insects including this specific mosquito, crane flies,(don't bite), et al. But, this specific species, Psorophora ciliate, has been tagged as 'gallinipper'.

Females need blood to be fertile, lay eggs on nearly any surface, and when damp/wet, even years later, they can hatch.

The abnormal rains in many parts of that map have produced hatchings and lots of Galinippers. Some reading says that they can pierce/bite through thicker clothing due to their size, and some sources suggest that they can carry West Nile and other bugs, though other sources say not. Most sources say they are very aggressive...

It's a mosquito...normal defense and good DEET loaded personal spray should work.
It is not an alien invasion from space... ;>)
GL, mD

Old 06-13-2013, 08:23 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,107,268 times
Great map.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:07 PM

180 posts, read 262,770 times
Doesn't sound that bad.....

Quote:
But insect experts say they're flabbergasted at how a seldom-seen mosquito that's always been here is drawing so much buzz. Gallinippers are thought to make up less than 2 percent of the mosquito population and they don't spread any of the dreaded mosquito-borne illnesses such as West Nile virus. Many who work in the mosquito-control trenches feel its bite is actually milder than its smaller, more pestiferous peers - certainly no match for the dreaded salt marsh mosquito.
Gallinippers: 'Giant' mosquito invasion? Nope, just another Florida critter | wtsp.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area