Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 01:20 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,089,133 times

Advertisements

When looking for a short term rental to stay in during our next trip back, I found 2 totally adorable cottages for weekly rentals which were in Gillespie Park.

Thought to myself, wouldn't it be great if there was something like that in Southside Village. Besides wanting to stay in that area next trip, thought it would be cool to own something like that. Hey if I want to stay there, wouldn't other people? Thought owning something like that would satisfy my long term desire to own a bed and breakfast. Hubby laughed cause it would be one unit and no breakfast. But it works for me.

I should have known there was a good reason I didn't find anything like that advertised. Just read that there are deed restrictions in 34239

but not in Arlington Park which I think is 34239. As usual, I am confused.

I assume that all deed restrictions are not the same. Maybe some don't allow you to park RVs in yard but do allow short term rentals? Please educate me. Is Gillespie Park the only choice close to downtown that doesn't cost a zillion $$$.

Are there any close in areas (to downtown) that would allow short term rentals? Interested in a house, not a condo with the possible exception of The Frances Carlton. Do they allow short term rentals?

In the other thread in which I came across the deed restriction problem, someone pointed out people moving to town need a place to stay while finding a permanent home. What a cool idea. Thanks to Sunshine Rules and Gypsychic for their thoughts on other thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 05:37 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,383,529 times
I don't have the answer regarding your zip code or deed restrictions by community. But I have general short term rental comments:

Rentals of 6 months or less require a 10% tax. This is why you often see rentals starting at 7 months lease or longer. Though 6 month plus 1 day meets the rules where the 10% is not required.

A monthly short term rental (aka seasonal rental if it's rented out monthly 6 month or less) usually is rented out during the winter "season" and is often vacant outside of season. When you are the landlord for a short term rental, you usually offer the home furnished (pots/pans and sheets/blankets) and you pay for all utilities as well as weekly cleaning plus lawn service/pools service, etc.

Monthly seasonal is the most common BY FAR seasonal rental but I guess there are weekly rentals in some places. The reason seasonal rentals (monthly) are usually vacant from May-Nov is because of the simply laws of supply and demand. The snowbirds leave during the summer and there is not enough demand of renters for seasonal/10% tax for rentals under 6 months.

Sometimes people reserve the place and cancel at the last minute. Ecpect to have it rented Jan-Mar for sure and questionable if other months are vacant.

A rental of 7 months or longer is usually called an Annual Rental. even if less than 12 months. These are unfurnished and renter puts utilities in their name. Annual around here usually means it's over 6 months and 1 day and it isn't 'seasonal'

Most rentals classifieds are split into two categories: Seasonal or Annual. the main difference is the 10% and whether landlord furnishes and provides all utilities/cleaning.

Last edited by sware2cod; 07-06-2013 at 05:46 AM..

Old 07-06-2013, 07:07 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,089,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Ecpect to have it rented Jan-Mar for sure and questionable if other months are vacant.

A rental of 7 months or longer is usually called an Annual Rental. even if less than 12 months. These are unfurnished and renter puts utilities in their name. Annual around here usually means it's over 6 months and 1 day and it isn't 'seasonal'

Most rentals classifieds are split into two categories: Seasonal or Annual. the main difference is the 10% and whether landlord furnishes and provides all utilities/cleaning.
Good to know. Thanks for taking time to post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area