Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 04:26 PM

807 posts, read 1,168,638 times

Advertisements

I was just reading the thread about electric costs and someone mentioned that their water bill is enormous, $200 a month in the summer because of watering their lawns. In a maintenance free development who pays for the watering of your lawn? That would be something to consider for my husband and myself since we are interested in maintenance free but friends tell us it's a waste of money...just hire someone to do your lawn. Thanks for your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 05:43 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,683,585 times
Your HOA or CDD fees will probably pay for lawn watering but it can vary from place to place. Lawn watering costs should be lower in summer because we receive so much rain. The beauty of maintenance free is that the whole neighborhood looks good. One or two lazy neighbors won't ruin the look of the street (and property values).

Old 07-08-2013, 06:10 PM

137 posts, read 329,530 times
I agree with bbronston, your water bill will be higher in the winter months, you wouldn't even need your irrigation system now during the rainy season. Whoever pays $200 per month means that they are using city/county water for irrigation instead of a well. We don't even have an irrigation system. Our lawn flourishes in the summer time and grows like crazy, in winter, it goes dormant. Our water bill is usually about $30 but we don't have city sewer. As for maintenance free, you pay for services one way or another way, either through your monthly association fees, or in a non maintenance free home, directly to vendors for lawncare, pest control, cable.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:42 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,015,410 times
Each condo/villa/HOA is different. If it's a villa community, there will probably be an irrigation system that is included in the HOA fees but you will have an individual water meter at your unit. $50-$60 a month.
If you're in a multistory condo, there will be an irrigation system but no water meter.
If you're in a single family home community with HOA fees, there may or may not be an irrigation system. If there is a system, it would usually be for common grounds, not your yard. Your would have a meter and be responsible for watering your lawn.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:25 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,501,606 times
Some HOA communities include the irrigation in their HOA fees. And some communities have water that comes from their lakes/ponds rather than city water. Each community is different, so you would have to check the rules and regulations and community features before deciding to purchase.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:39 AM

213 posts, read 573,591 times
All the crazy HOA CCD Maintenance fees and stringent rules scared us away from certain lake/wood/ranch developments that would have been otherwise desirable. lol We're buying a place that has a well - so the water is free. Many houses have this due to this being such a wet area at sea level.

There are so many rules in so many places, you'll need to find out specifics for your situation. You didn't say condo or house - so maybe a well is not an option.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:22 PM

807 posts, read 1,168,638 times
Thank you for responding. The places were are interested in all are in deed restricted developments, but the post of $200 a month for water really got me wondering about this. I will now have to make sure that when I find a place I am interested in to pose this question. Again, thanks for the responses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area