Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,184 times

Advertisements

At some point prior to my purchase, our driveway had been redone using a sort of textured, decorative covering. It is cracking and in need of re-re-doing.

So, I understand that there are a good number of options and contractors to consider. Yes, money is an object.

Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 11:10 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
Is it an overlay on concrete? Can it easily be removed? You might consider pavers or the stuff they can apply and texture or pattern. I imagine the lease expensive thing is to have a truck come in and cover it with asphalt.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Is it an overlay on concrete? Can it easily be removed? You might consider pavers or the stuff they can apply and texture or pattern. I imagine the lease expensive thing is to have a truck come in and cover it with asphalt.
It is some sort of overlay on concrete, yes. It could easily be broken up and removed.

Pavers seems pretty expensive, and I don't know anything about the texture/pattern stuff.

There is no asphalt in the community (only concrete), so I doubt that would go over very well.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:35 PM

213 posts, read 575,841 times
Are you going to stay for many many years - or move/sell? It might make a big difference in what path you choose.

Here's a couple DIY ideas I found -
Resurfacing a cracked concrete driveway is a great DIY task - chicagotribune.com

How to Resurface Concrete - YouTube

There's a ton of different ones on You Tube...

Old 07-15-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californianz View Post
Are you going to stay for many many years - or move/sell? It might make a big difference in what path you choose.

Here's a couple DIY ideas I found -
Resurfacing a cracked concrete driveway is a great DIY task - chicagotribune.com

How to Resurface Concrete - YouTube

There's a ton of different ones on You Tube...
Very helpful, thanks.

I will not be doing it myself, though, as I am

a. Too busy
b. Too tired, and
c. Too stupid.

Anyone who can recommend someone feel free.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:59 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
It is some sort of overlay on concrete, yes. It could easily be broken up and removed.

Pavers seems pretty expensive, and I don't know anything about the texture/pattern stuff.

There is no asphalt in the community (only concrete), so I doubt that would go over very well.
The resurface stuff like a cement overlay that can be textured, colored, made to look like slate or brick, etc. I don't have any recommendations for service providers but you could google some websites to see examples of what they do. For example, "Sarasota driveway resurface" brought up some possibilities.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:30 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Don't use an acrylic over lay like some people might have on their pool lanai

if you get a concrete aggregate/smooth overlay it is only as good as the surface it is under--
if the subsurface drops more due to subsidence/poor foundation then the new surface wil crack...

we had our original concrete (cracking) driveway taken out and replaced with pavers...
would not recommend the company even though I think they did an OK job with the driveway--they did a sucky job with the lanai---
you can have pavers laid over a concrete surface by using 1 inch pavers---you really aren't supposed to drive over those....so your driveway would need to be taken out and have new pavers laid and maybe new gravel/crushed shell base for base support and better drainage...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area