U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 05:14 PM

244 posts, read 352,892 times

Advertisements

Going to contract on new construction in LWR, relocating from NY, doing a construction to perm loan and need to sign the contract and scan and email to them by tomorrow at 5 pm, do i need a lawyer for this type of closing ???? Thanks for all your insight...

Steve
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 05:35 PM

16,376 posts, read 21,381,135 times
Probably not. They are not required in FL. Do you feel that you need one...to understand the contract better or because something needs to be tweaked in the contract? Otherwise, it's not necessary, IMO.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:41 PM

5,653 posts, read 10,099,002 times
Is there anything that you are concerned about?

Old 07-18-2013, 04:20 PM

No, no concerns but it is the norm here and i wasnt sure..

Old 07-18-2013, 06:28 PM

"Cod" is right. It's never a bad idea to have a contract reviewed by an attorney but it is not an automatic step here like it is in other places. Are you using an agent? Agents aren't lawyers but they can provide ideas, insights, and concerns that you might not see or think about.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:03 PM

We did have our agent look it over and i read it a few times as did a friend of mine who is a lawyer and nobody saw any red flags, hoping this was enough..

Old 07-26-2013, 08:35 AM

It is always up to you. I'm sure your agent has an attorney that he or she works with regularly. If there is anything in there that worries you or that you are reluctantly accepting as a requirement of the builder, it shouldn't cost much (in the overall scheme of things) to have the attorney read it and give you an opinion. FWIW, I'd bet that the vast majority of contracts never get reviewed by a buyer's attorney.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:16 PM

784 posts, read 1,076,888 times
Question for BBronson regarding this. There is a thread here from a member that is having a hard time with a LWR builder. They had a new home built and several issues are not being resolved. Does having an agent help? Would, say, you be able to assist this person if something like this occurs if they would have used an agent to buy the home? Just curious.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:24 PM

I also read that post and it is the same builder we are using !! atleast i will have some ammo when i go to close...

Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
Question for BBronson regarding this. There is a thread here from a member that is having a hard time with a LWR builder. They had a new home built and several issues are not being resolved. Does having an agent help? Would, say, you be able to assist this person if something like this occurs if they would have used an agent to buy the home? Just curious.
I think I put my two cents into that one.
It's my nature to try to make things work out so, to answer your question, yes I have been able to help during the purchase/construction process, and in the period after closing, but that is not to say that I (or any agent) have any sort of leverage or magical ability to get things resolved that otherwise have little chance. I've said many times that every builder at some time will have issues. It's how they handle those issues that makes the difference and, with no disrespect intended to anyone, I think the success or failure of having those things fixed depends a lot on the willingness and demeanor of the two people on either side of the telephone line. Sometimes, though, you just can't get a willing partner at the normal level so you have to move up the chain--nicely and respectfully--until you get the right person. I think most people really do want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. It's just a matter of finding the right person and giving them that opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area