U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:43 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,488,245 times

Advertisements

Here is my experience, in the form of pros and cons-
Cons-
1-The schools as a whole are bad once you get past Elementary, save for Pine View. Manatee county schools are a wreck right now, and are going through some serious troubles.
2-It is extremely boring. There are like one or two theaters, and no decent entertainment outside of Sarasota, and even then there is very little. That said if you are over 55, you might enjoy it.
3-The people. From my experiences they are nasty. A decent amount of people around here have prejudices that I don't want to talk about in detail.
4-The people can't drive. Some people go 25 in a 70, and some go 110 in 70. People also cut over all 3 lanes on the highways.
5-People are always trying to lower taxes. Sounds like a good thing but it isn't. The reason Manatee schools have such problems is because of funding, which comes from taxes.
6-Crime is awful. Some will tell you otherwise, but it is the 100th most dangerous city in America-
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
7- Outside of main street there are very little amounts of good restaurants.
Pros-
1-There is absolutely no real traffic. There is very rarely any backups, and when they happen, it is because of an accident.
2-The beaches are beautiful.
3-Housing is relatively cheap.
4-It would be a good place to retire.

Last edited by Yac; 08-07-2013 at 07:34 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 08:30 PM

11,867 posts, read 11,285,319 times
t
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
Cons-
1-The schools as a whole are bad once you get past Elementary, save for Pine View. Manatee county schools are a wreck right now, and are going through some serious troubles.
2-It is extremely boring. There are like one or two theaters, and no decent entertainment outside of Sarasota, and even then there is very little. That said if you are over 55, you might enjoy it.
3-The people. From my experiences they are nasty. A decent amount of people around here have prejudices that I don't want to talk about in detail.
4-The people can't drive. Some people go 25 in a 70, and some go 110 in 70. People also cut over all 3 lanes on the highways.
5-People are always trying to lower taxes. Sounds like a good thing but it isn't. The reason Manatee schools have such problems is because of funding, which comes from taxes.
6-Crime is awful. Some will tell you otherwise, but it is the 100th most dangerous city in America-
Pros-
1-There is absolutely no real traffic. There is very rarely any backups, and when they happen, it is because of an accident.
Addressing a few of the cons:
#2 Two theaters? There are 40 independent theater companies in Sarasota. There is also a professional opera company not to mention hundreds of other cultural offerings.

#7 There are fantastic restaurants all over Sarasota! Longboat Key, St. Armands Circle, Siesta Key, Gulf Gate, Southside Village just to scratch the surface. Hundreds.

Pros
#Housing is cheap? Compared to what? The NYC metro area? Southern California? San Francisco? Sarasota is pretty expensive.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:38 PM

2,076 posts, read 2,852,859 times
Addressing a few of the cons

If you wish to meet nasty people, come to Los Angeles. Finding sincere friendly caring people is the number one reason I want to move. I consider myself to be a decent judge of people since I have a Ph.D. in psychology. I liked the people in Sarasota--a lot. Best of all I liked the way everyone was interested in interacting with us, the way people joke and laugh easily, and the way people went out of their way to be helpful. Your post has a hint about prejudice. That may be true. It may well be worse there just because of the age of the general population.

My husband and I were very pleasantly shocked at the high quality of the food we found in a variety of restaurants. I consider Sarasota to be a foodies paradise.

Every city and state is trying to find a way to raise money. Government coffers have been emptied by the prolonged poor economy. I personally like California's "high" taxes to no-income-tax Florida's ever climbing real estate taxes. Our taxes will be higher in Florida than California. The taxes on things geared to tourists like rental car taxes are truly shocking. The taxes there do a stealthy creep up. Maybe that is why people are always trying to lower them.

But opinions are like noses. Everyone has one and they are all different.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:48 PM

isles20 Question for you. Your information says for location "a day closer to South Florida". Have you moved to Sarasota and found it to be a disappointment?

And I think it is really great that you started this thread. It comprehensively addresses a lot of issues of interest to people thinking about moving.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
isles20 Question for you. Your information says for location "a day closer to South Florida". Have you moved to Sarasota and found it to be a disappointment?

And I think it is really great that you started this thread. It comprehensively addresses a lot of issues of interest to people thinking about moving.
We moved here in 2005, from NY, and have wanted to move for a few years, but were waiting for the economy to get better.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
t

Addressing a few of the cons:
#2 Two theaters? There are 40 independent theater companies in Sarasota. There is also a professional opera company not to mention hundreds of other cultural offerings.

#7 There are fantastic restaurants all over Sarasota! Longboat Key, St. Armands Circle, Siesta Key, Gulf Gate, Southside Village just to scratch the surface. Hundreds.

Pros
#Housing is cheap? Compared to what? The NYC metro area? Southern California? San Francisco? Sarasota is pretty expensive.
Cons
2-To each his own, I have just found little of personal interest.
7- Besides sea food and gulf gate, IMO there aren't that many good restaurants.
Pros
Find a nice area with semi-medium density for Sarasota prices.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:23 AM

213 posts, read 543,642 times
Quote:
Cons-
Pros-

1. I've heard laments about schools, but also some good things in some areas as well YMMV.
2. Depends on what floats your boat. Boating, golf and many other things to do. If you're into rave parties, maybe not so much.
3. Most of the people are really nice on the surface compared to an actual big city - and almost no one here is actually from FL so they all bring in their own prejudices and attitudes from elsewhere. I've seen a lot of prejudice spewed from within isolated segregated communities on both sides of the fence. That's not news, it happens everywhere.
4. I call them "Florida crack heads". There seem to be no highway patrol on the freeways at all.
5. Name one place that doesn't want lower taxes? FL is a haven for tax evasion FWIW.
6. Compared to Smalltown, USA or Canada maybe so.
7. That's just wrong. There is a glut of restaurants so likely you've just been to all the wrong ones.

You forgot one more negative - the weather sucks (IMHO). You see? Everything is relative. lol

Old 08-03-2013, 05:38 PM

3,642 posts, read 8,838,347 times
Sarasota County is a great place to live. Out school out here in North Port is rated very well - so is the high school.
People here are great! One member of my family is of a different race and he has already made friends and we have encountered acceptance wherever we have gone - from young and old alike.
There might be crime - but there is crime everywhere - I feel very safe where I live and I have a weapon to defend myself if need be.
This area is a great place to live - but that is my opinion - if you don't like where you live I suggest you do what I did - get out!

Old 08-03-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Sarasota County is a great place to live. Out school out here in North Port is rated very well - so is the high school.
People here are great! One member of my family is of a different race and he has already made friends and we have encountered acceptance wherever we have gone - from young and old alike.
There might be crime - but there is crime everywhere - I feel very safe where I live and I have a weapon to defend myself if need be.
This area is a great place to live - but that is my opinion - if you don't like where you live I suggest you do what I did - get out!
1- North Ports high schools isn't great, it gets a 6- North Port High School - North Port, Florida - FL - School overview
2- Maybe Manatee is different, IDK.
3-Yes but 100th worst in the country is awful.
4-I agree, but I'm not by any means a fan of North Port, seems too removed.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
We moved here in 2005, from NY, and have wanted to move for a few years, but were waiting for the economy to get better.
Where do you want to go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area