Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 02:53 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,104,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ld75 View Post
LOL...
I really doubt a thief is going to come to your house and do that. Rig your security system to loop video while they clean you out.
I don't think they have to come to your home to hack a wireless system. And while an average thief as we know him might not, his 15 year old hacker slacker son would just for the challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 05:13 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
Are you aware of the hacker who hacked into Miss Teen Americas computer and turned on her webcam and watched her in her bedroom? Then he blackmailed her that he would publish the pictures. The FBI was not amused. Maybe you are saying I am no Miss Teen America so my chances of being watched or blackmailed are low. Tape editing can make it look like you said or did something you didn't.

Then here is another scenario.

I must have watched too many crime shows but here is what tv taught me. People defeat security cameras by hacking into them and feeding them a closed loop of pre recorded footage of the scene in which nothing is going on. The person monitoring the cameras doesn't realize what they see is pre-recorded. The criminals can clean out your place at their leisure and you are seeing feed from your camera that looks like nothing is going on.

Hahahaha. Yeah, I'm not Miss Teen America. I'm not even looking to install cameras inside my home. We only want them for outside. That's why I asked why anyone would want to hack them when you can just stand outside and see the same thing the camera is recording. We have a specific need and it's for outside only.

Even if I was doing an inside install, I wouldn't be worried about the above. I think most thieves would rather rob all the other homes that don't have security. That very rare case of tape editing would be for a very determined thief for a very specific home and purpose. We don't fit that scenario in the slightest. I don't even have an HD TV.

A funny story: A couple of months ago we kept hearing a noise in my son's room - now a guest bedroom. We tore the room apart trying to find the source. We finally found a one inch diameter round black thing that looked like a speaker/bug device. My dh and I were really confused because we're extremely boring people in our 50's. We asked our son who hasn't lived at home in years now if any of his friends would've wanted to "bug" him. He thought his mom and his dad were suffering from early senility. It turns out, my other son, the programmer, got a few of these: ThinkGeek :: The ThinkGeek EvilTron and placed one on the bed frame to bug his sister (who couldn't care less about what the noise was btw) and had forgotten about it. He doesn't live at home either so we didn't think he had anything to do with it.

We literally searched for hours. It turned out to be a good thing because we found an area of mold under the bed and spent the weekend cleaning the entire room! Kids!!!

Old 08-17-2013, 07:37 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,104,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
It turns out, my other son, the programmer, got a few of these: ThinkGeek :: The ThinkGeek EvilTron and placed one on the bed frame to bug his sister (who couldn't care less about what the noise was btw) and had
I love it. Hmm. Who can I freak out with one of those? Elevator to our building.. Has possibilities.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:55 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
I love it. Hmm. Who can I freak out with one of those? Elevator to our building.. Has possibilities.
He said it worked great in his office too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area