U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 01:05 PM

33,633 posts, read 53,548,861 times

Advertisements

what company would anyone recommend to run the service?

does anyone have a security system in their home now?
We had someone selling ADT walking around our neighborhood today and my husband let him in house and was about to sign contract but I thought it was rushing it...especially since we are leaving pretty soon...

frankly I wouldn't have even talked to him--hate door to door anything...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 01:46 PM

4,594 posts, read 9,477,930 times
We have ADT in our two joints. They are OK.
Pros: big company, easy and very inexpensive typical install of door/entry protection and window breaking/motion sensors. Their phone techs are knowledgeable and helpful.

Cons: not cheap, once the 'intro offer period' is over. We pay ~$56 a month, both in the FL house and the western NC house. It creeps up every year...

We have 'local' and regional companies in both locations, but was never convinced of the monitoring 'level' and decision making process behind an alert, power out, false alarm, etc., of the local joints. Not saying the 'local services' are not good; just felt more comfortable with the big name, fwiw.

I will probably let the FL house service lapse, as we are in a gated community where the burglar would have to pick us out of the block of houses, and then get through the hurricane shutters, off season. I am beginning to feel they are a bit redundant if one is in a guard/gated community...I will keep our western NC mtn house ADT service.

May be worth shopping around, but most of the services have intro deals; after that time period it comes down to fool proof sensors, good monitoring, etc, imo. Many companies, ADT included, are all pitching 'net communication', blah blah blah...I don't see the necessity, and it's a more costly, higher gross margin add on, in my view.

When I am home, we sometimes turn it on, but Mr Mossberg and Mr Glock are at hand. When we are absent, yes they are on, and a trusted house watcher helps too.
My 50Cts.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 08-13-2013 at 02:56 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 03:43 PM

192 posts, read 337,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
what company would anyone recommend to run the service?

does anyone have a security system in their home now?
We had someone selling ADT walking around our neighborhood today and my husband let him in house and was about to sign contract but I thought it was rushing it...especially since we are leaving pretty soon...

frankly I wouldn't have even talked to him--hate door to door anything...
Build your own. Much CHEAPER!!!!! I have my own home security system and works great!

Here's what you need.

1) Internet connection at your home
2) Wireless access point that connects to your home network (You most likely already have this)
3) Wireless Security Video cameras (Size of house, or desired result will determine how many Cameras you will need to purchase). Range between $50-$70. My Wansviews were $54 and my Foscam was $69
4) A computer. Could use current computer if desired.
5) External Hard Drive for video and image storage
6) BlueIris software installed on computer to run, manage, and configure your own cameras. Price $50 for unlimited cameras
7) Optional, but good to have depending on what type of smartphone you have. You can buy the add-on for BlueIris. You can purchase from the Google Play Store or Apple app store.

Your end result will be. Once your cameras are installed and functioning on your home network. You can access them from anywhere in the world. As long as you have Internet access from computer or phone.

Configure BlueIris to email you Motion Detection Alerts and record video when you're not home and motion is detected. You can also see your home from your smartphone.

By the way the Cameras have night vision and you can pan and tilt.

WHAT IS THE DOWN FALL IF YOU CONSIDER IT A DOWN FALL? You need a techie to do the work for you if you're technology challenged.

What do you give up with this type of home security system. Sensors that detect if a door or window are open or closed.

I have this same exact setup at home with 6 cameras.

(5) Wansview NCB541W and (1) Foscam 98xx

You can manage your own cameras and MOST important of all you're not paying anyone a monthly fee of $50+ for a service you can do yourself at no charge. Well, you will need to buy the equipment and software obviously.

What I recommend you to do is to Blue Iris - Home Do some research on the software and cameras I mentioned. You can download a 15 day demo of BlueIris for one camera. Buy a cheap camera, download the demo and play around with it. This solution may work for you.

If this is for your vacation home\seasonal home, this solution may not work for you. But if it's for your primary house, this will work for you.

Good Luck!

Last edited by ld75; 08-13-2013 at 03:54 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 04:20 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,461,177 times
This has been asked before & I know you will find good info if you do a search. I will say, we've had Leader Security our past 2 houses & I would never use anyone else. (Coming from a former ADT customer)

For example, they called us when they got a low battery alert on our slider doors, just to make sure we were aware of it. Plus they remembered that we would normally leave certain dates out of the year & would call to check up. We had a few false alarms when we were selling one of our houses (realtor not securing doors after showings , etc..) & they were always very understanding. Just really good people with personal service.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:39 PM

697 posts, read 1,077,700 times
I did a bunch of research on this..and believe it or not..this was the best bang-for-buck system and price I could come up with.

Much of the setup is automatic...so..not a large learning curve. Swann has there own Internet service, so no external charges are needed...and their Andriod/iOS app is free. I also like that they are 4 of their hier end cameras, they are wired (more secure than wireless cameras), and the base unit has HDMI out!..(very important for picture quality) and lastly can accommodate 5 more cameras for future upgrades.

Swann ProSeries 9Channel, 4Camera IndoorOutdoor Surveillance System SWDVK-942004-US - Best Buy

Old 08-14-2013, 12:17 AM

33,633 posts, read 53,548,861 times
I did run a search and had hits but only for threads with the word "security" in it--
nothing about a specific company...
maybe I ran it incorrectly....

We had gotten a recommendation for Leader security when we first bought the house from the guy who painted for us I think or maybe the electrician who did work for us...
but felt pretty safe being next door to our daughter and SIL (who works from home several days a week)...

don't know that my husband would feel comfortable installing a system we would monitor and be responsible for--
we aren't that techno inclined...
but can see the point if you are...
think our TX neighbor did much the same thing....

thanks for the feedback...

Old 08-14-2013, 04:56 AM

219 posts, read 644,935 times
Leader security they are the best and most reasonable excellent service

Old 08-14-2013, 03:05 PM

398 posts, read 775,064 times
EMG has been good for us.

Tampa Alarm Systems | Sarasota Alarm Systems | EMG Alarm Home

Old 08-14-2013, 11:32 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,648,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ld75 View Post
Build your own. Much CHEAPER!!!!! I have my own home security system and works great!

Here's what you need.

1) Internet connection at your home
2) Wireless access point that connects to your home network (You most likely already have this)
3) Wireless Security Video cameras (Size of house, or desired result will determine how many Cameras you will need to purchase). Range between $50-$70. My Wansviews were $54 and my Foscam was $69
4) A computer. Could use current computer if desired.
5) External Hard Drive for video and image storage
6) BlueIris software installed on computer to run, manage, and configure your own cameras. Price $50 for unlimited cameras
7) Optional, but good to have depending on what type of smartphone you have. You can buy the add-on for BlueIris. You can purchase from the Google Play Store or Apple app store.

Your end result will be. Once your cameras are installed and functioning on your home network. You can access them from anywhere in the world. As long as you have Internet access from computer or phone.

Configure BlueIris to email you Motion Detection Alerts and record video when you're not home and motion is detected. You can also see your home from your smartphone.

By the way the Cameras have night vision and you can pan and tilt.

WHAT IS THE DOWN FALL IF YOU CONSIDER IT A DOWN FALL? You need a techie to do the work for you if you're technology challenged.

What do you give up with this type of home security system. Sensors that detect if a door or window are open or closed.

I have this same exact setup at home with 6 cameras.

(5) Wansview NCB541W and (1) Foscam 98xx

You can manage your own cameras and MOST important of all you're not paying anyone a monthly fee of $50+ for a service you can do yourself at no charge. Well, you will need to buy the equipment and software obviously.

What I recommend you to do is to Blue Iris - Home Do some research on the software and cameras I mentioned. You can download a 15 day demo of BlueIris for one camera. Buy a cheap camera, download the demo and play around with it. This solution may work for you.

If this is for your vacation home\seasonal home, this solution may not work for you. But if it's for your primary house, this will work for you.

Good Luck!
Thanks for your post and recommendations. Going to try this. I think my husband can do the camera installs and my son can do the techie parts and teach us how to use it.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:04 AM

192 posts, read 337,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Thanks for your post and recommendations. Going to try this. I think my husband can do the camera installs and my son can do the techie parts and teach us how to use it.
Just and FYI if you decide to do for your own primary home.

Your son will need to do port forwarding on your home Internet router or firewall. This will allow you to reach your cameras from the outside of your house. In other words, if you're at the mall and decide to check your house, the port forwarding will allow you to do this.

Also, make sure your son changes the default port on the cameras from http 80 to http 5xxxx -65xxx.

This sounds like a lot to do, but it's not. PM if you run into issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area