Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 05:57 PM

398 posts, read 822,109 times

Advertisements

I need a WiFi Enabled Camera or Baby Monitor ,to keep an eye on 1 room in our house ,while I am gone. I want to be able to check it from my iPad. Can anyone recommend a decent quality one ,that wont break the bank? I'd like to buy it locally in the Sarasota area. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 12:09 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
I believe our daycare uses a 6-camera Logitech system and parents can hop on anytime to check on things. Whatever you decide, think about one that can pan around or at least zoom.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:35 AM

122 posts, read 323,585 times
I have several of these and they work great

Wanscam Wireless Wifi IP Camera IR LED Night Vision Dual Audio Webcam White US | eBay

Old 08-21-2013, 10:09 AM

192 posts, read 375,553 times
My personal opinion is to stay away from Wanscam. I owned them and they were junk!!!! Died after a few months. Constant reboots lost of Wifi signal. Complete junk! Don't even bother with support. They are worthless! They are based in China. Warranty replacement you ask? They don't believe in such thing. I ended up tossing them.

I have 5 of these at my house and 1 Foscam. They work Great!

Wansview Multi Function IP Security Camera NCB541W Nite Vision PAN Tilt | eBay

Old 08-21-2013, 11:32 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ld75 View Post
They are based in China.
What isn't made in China?? 99% of all electronics devices come from China, and one manufacturer's product can be labeled by hundreds of brands.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:45 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
I think much of the difficulty with WiFi cameras is due to interference from various other WiFi systems...
our daughter has a WiFi camera and monitor for her son and brought it over to our house for us when we babysit...
the camera was giving us fits one night even though we were less than 25 ft from where the baby was...
but it was on same shelf as my husband's printer which has WiFi connection...
next time we unplugged the printer (obviously not going to be printing with 1 yr old sleeping in the room) and had no issues with the camera/monitor...

buy from source where you can hook it up and use it while you are there for few days to make sure there is no interference from neighbors' systems and you can return it if there are issues...

check CNET for reviews of what you need maybe...

Old 08-21-2013, 07:17 PM

192 posts, read 375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
What isn't made in China?? 99% of all electronics devices come from China, and one manufacturer's product can be labeled by hundreds of brands.
What I am saying is...if you require support good luck! No number 1-800 number to call. You email support and they don't reply for many, many days. Good luck trying to read and understand it when you get it. They barely speak English, so try to read their reply, and you end up with more questions than answers.

After a while of going back and forth, they pretty much say to you, "Sorry...we can't help you."

Now your're stuck with a bad camera. Now what??? They are horrible! Stay away!

Old 08-22-2013, 09:13 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Keeping an Eye Out: We Review Three Video Surveillance Systems | PCWorld

iCam is the cheap, easy way to get remote video surveillance | How To - CNET

There is a man who lives in my neighborhood who works for a media installation company in Sarasota area
he has come to my home and neighbors when we have had trouble with our flatscreens and DVD players and stuff but I imagine he might know a reliable brand of camera to use for situation like yours and give some help with setting it up

I would give your his phone number (can't remember his company name) if you direct message me and you could call him
the work he did for me was pretty easy to solve but he was very nice--didn't make me feel stupid for asking for help...and he asked for very low fee--I gave him more because I appreciated his help and his attitude...
don't know how much he would charge you or if he could help with your problem...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area