Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 08:41 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times

Advertisements

Let's see - we already have the Ritz, the Hyatt, the Indigo, and the one on Ringling that I cannot recall name of.
Now we have FIVE new hotels being built in downtown Sarasota. Crazy? Too many?
Can the Downtown infrastructure, and stores & restaurants, handle more than 1000 new hotel rooms? What about the residents there - too much?

During season you can't get into the restaurants now - what's going to happen with 2000 more people in the area?

The roads are congested, parking is at a premium, and we'll have more people, more cars, and the city has taken away parking spaces to widen the sidewalks.

And then there is the movement for live OUTDOOR music downtown. Is that something the people staying in these hotels is going to want? How about the residents?

Is it Too Much?

DOWNTOWN HOTEL UPDATE

Embassy Suites
Second Street and North Tamiami Trail
200 rooms; 18 stories.
Pre-application proposal submitted to the city July 24.

Floridays
North Palm Avenue and Cocoanut Avenue
200 rooms; nine stories.
On hold due to pending a city lawsuit.

Gulfstream Sarasota
North Gulfstream Avenue and North Tamiami Trail
275 rooms; 144 condominiums (in two separate towers).
Pre-application proposal submitted to the city Feb. 27.

Kimpton Hotels
Main Street and North Washington Boulevard
150 rooms
County began accepting proposals for land Aug. 1.

One Palm
South Palm Avenue and Ringling Boulevard
148 rooms; 147 residential units (in two separate towers).
No submission to the city; Sarasota Planning Board approved three adjustments June 12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 07:44 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Geezus you MUST be kidding. More downtown hotel rooms bring conventioneers in off season and do nothing but dump money into our local economy.

If it weren't for the tourists, Sarasota wouldn't have a fraction of the amenities it has.

Think tiny hospital, no theater, about a quarter of the restaurants, no shopping, and no infrastructure.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:41 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Geezus you MUST be kidding. More downtown hotel rooms bring conventioneers in off season and do nothing but dump money into our local economy.
My sentiments exactly. People who come and leave money create jobs. Who doesn't think jobs are a good thing?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:10 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
My sentiments exactly. People who come and leave money create jobs. Who doesn't think jobs are a good thing?
Tourism generally creates low-wage jobs. So your economy isn't being boosted enough to compensate for all of the downsides that come with increased crowding (traffic, cost of living, etc).

Old 08-22-2013, 08:44 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Tourism generally creates low-wage jobs. So your economy isn't being boosted enough to compensate for all of the downsides that come with increased crowding (traffic, cost of living, etc).
It's still money, and this area always has been and always will be "hospitality oriented." That is our main industry.

I say bring 'em on!

Old 08-22-2013, 08:55 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
Quote:
Tourism generally creates low-wage jobs.
So, no jobs and government assistance is better than entry-level wage jobs? Besides, entry level is exactly that. Many people work their way up, too. Please...try to keep your eye on the ball. ALL JOBS ARE GOOD JOBS compared to a permanent underclass.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:34 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
My nephew makes $60,000 a year as the front desk manager at one of those hotels. His lowest paid employee is at $15 an hour.

What low paying jobs will these hotels bring? Even the traditional lowest hotel jobs start at about $10-$12 an hour. Start.

Those big hotel chains? Fantastic benefits.

Oooh, don't bring more jobs for people who need them Mr. Marriott! I might have to deal with MORE TRAFFIC! The horror!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:42 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,387 times
i don't know about anybody else, but the reasons i was attracted to Sarasota were: the weather, the restaurants, the art attractions, the availability of nearby airport, the waterfront, the beaches. In other words, all the things that contribute to a tourist environment.
I'm guessing most of us that moved here did it for the same reason. So why complain that we live in a tourist environment.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:00 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
i don't know about anybody else, but the reasons i was attracted to Sarasota were: the weather, the restaurants, the art attractions, the availability of nearby airport, the waterfront, the beaches. In other words, all the things that contribute to a tourist environment.
I'm guessing most of us that moved here did it for the same reason. So why complain that we live in a tourist environment.
Exactly! All these things provide the excellent quality of life we have here. Besides, it's pretty quiet around here (relatively speaking) for almost half the year anyway.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:25 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,346,737 times
Where will we all eat? Probably at all the new restaurants that will open as a result of there being more people to serve food to! Growth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area