Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 03:59 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,883,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess.ess.ess.esq. View Post
EXACTLY SO! Snowbirds have the best of both----the wealthy reside in Sarasota 3 or 4 months per year, then get out to leave the heat and humidity. Thanks for your honest post--at least 4 months in Sarasota are DREADFUL. That is a TRUTH that people seeking Paradise deserve to know about----the only two months in Ohio that approach "dreadful" are January and February which have the potential for snowstorms....but even then, 50 degree sunny days are not uncommon....let's just be honest here and admit every climate has its shortcomings....let's not lie to outsiders that they will find "perfection" here!
Everything is relative to each person. When we visited OH a week ago we were chatting with a fellow in the lobby of the hotel. We were telling him how beautiful the area was. He said that's because you're here now. Be glad we didn't visit in November and onward. He said it's 5 months of grey, dreary, cold days and that everyone is grouchy. Everyone just wants to stay inside. He's planning on moving down to FL.

Some people love the rain. Some are sun lovers. Some love cold, some love hot. Some love a mix of it all. Is anyone wrong?

I want to clarify that there were a LOT more large flying insects in OH than in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 04:24 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,086,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post

Ohio.
I got a feeling of imminent doom in November knowing what was coming. The snow starts in December. The sun does not come out from early January through early March, and the whole town has a shared episode of seasonal affective disorder. A lot of days the high is 10 degrees. There is usually a period of sub zero weather in which going to the grocery store makes you feel you are taking your life in your hands. The snow builds up and gets gray and dirty. It melts in March. There there is the heavy wet snow in late March or early April--- 14 inches of wet heavy snow the first week in April my last year there. Then spring, summer, and fall are great. I really liked Cleveland, but the winter is not as benign as Ess makes it sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
When we visited OH a week ago we were chatting with a fellow in the lobby of the hotel. We were telling him how beautiful the area was. He said that's because you're here now. Be glad we didn't visit in November and onward. He said it's 5 months of grey, dreary, cold days and that everyone is grouchy. Everyone just wants to stay inside. He's planning on moving down to FL.
See--My description was not an exaggeration.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:57 PM

164 posts, read 354,538 times
Quote:
EXACTLY SO! Snowbirds have the best of both----the wealthy reside in Sarasota 3 or 4 months per year, then get out to leave the heat and humidity. Thanks for your honest post--at least 4 months in Sarasota are DREADFUL. That is a TRUTH that people seeking Paradise deserve to know about----the only two months in Ohio that approach "dreadful" are January and February which have the potential for snowstorms....but even then, 50 degree sunny days are not uncommon....let's just be honest here and admit every climate has its shortcomings....let's not lie to outsiders that they will find "perfection" here!
Huh? It is obvious you have never lived in Ohio. Having grown up in Michigan and living 30 years in Ohio after college, the weather deteriorates in November (if not before) and doesn't improve until April with the potential for snowstorms during all six of those months. And, sure, there may be an occasional sunny, 50 degree day in Jan/Feb but it is certainly not common!

We moved down here eighteen months ago and love the year round warmth and sun. I guess I must have missed those "4 months" of "dreadful" weather here. I do miss the beautiful fall foliage up north but we can always make a road trip!

Old 10-13-2013, 02:10 PM

398 posts, read 819,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Ohio View Post
Huh? It is obvious you have never lived in Ohio. Having grown up in Michigan and living 30 years in Ohio after college, the weather deteriorates in November (if not before) and doesn't improve until April with the potential for snowstorms during all six of those months. And, sure, there may be an occasional sunny, 50 degree day in Jan/Feb but it is certainly not common!

We moved down here eighteen months ago and love the year round warmth and sun. I guess I must have missed those "4 months" of "dreadful" weather here. I do miss the beautiful fall foliage up north but we can always make a road trip!
Agree, Poster ess....can't be from or ever have lived in Ohio based on what she posts about the weather there. I know Willard Scott & esssss... Is no Willard Scott.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSnowbirds View Post
Agree, Poster ess....can't be from or ever have lived in Ohio based on what she posts about the weather there. I know Willard Scott & esssss... Is no Willard Scott.

So you picture Ess as female? I picture Ess as male. This forum is funny in that you don't know peoples gender. From another thread, it is clear someone imagines me as male when I am not. What about you FLSnowbirds--I picture you as a couple--one of each.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:36 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,913,385 times
Well I just dropped in to this thread, interesting about the rain is it warm rain? I live in Tasmania, here we are in Oct. spring and there is snow on the mountain. On the mainland it is so hot in New South Wales they have bush fires. Your climate sounds great to me.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:50 PM

182 posts, read 271,394 times
The notion of 6 months of snowstorms in Ohio is so funny! It is NOT Iceland. You real estate folks will resort to any thing at all to fool Yankees into believing FLA is "paradise"----among the best comments at this site: "my windows are open all year around in Sarasota" and "there is no high humidity on the Gulf Coast. The gulf breeze acts as an air conditioner." Funny, I have yet to notice that a/c effect......okay, you may now commence your name calling. BUT----we have a moral duty to people considering moving here to tell the truth about FLA.....both the good, and the bad....there is NO paradise on this planet, here or elsewhere. To say otherwise is to lie.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
The notion of 6 months of snowstorms in Ohio is so funny!

Ess Why are you so adamant about keeping the Ohio is paradise scam going? Those of us who have lived in OHio know better than what you are saying.

I suppose you are going to say that the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper is in on the plot to make Ohio sound bad so people will want to move to Florida. The historical date of the first snow AVERAGES to be Nov 9. In 1974 and in 2003, the first snow fell on October 2.

First snowfall dates for Cleveland over last 50 years range from October 2 to December 12 | cleveland.com

And check this: The average amount of snow in April in Cleveland is 3 inches. And it snows in frigging MAY.

Snow in April very common in Cleveland

Are you still laughing? Say what you want about Sarasota, but stop the lies about Ohio.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:01 PM

182 posts, read 271,394 times
your Ohio weather comments are about obvious statistical rarities, as the time a few snowflakes fell in May

there are exceptions to every rule

the reality of Ohio is that two months are around 32 degree highs, there are two less chilly months, and then 8 months of fine temperate weather. I never said that is "paradise," it is certain Floridians who use that term to describe FLORIDA, and mislead outsiders into believing that we have 12 months of 75 degree dry non-humid glory here. And it is unfair and deceitful to let outsiders be misled when they come to this board for facts. the distortion of Ohio weather here matches perfectly the distortion of FLORIDA weather found here. Both are false. It is common knowledge that anyone who dares to tell the truth about Florida on these boards will be subjected to ridicule and personal attacks, by persons who have a financial interest in getting outsiders to move or visit here, or be attacked by people who moved here and want their family and ex-friends back-home to believe that they are now in that fabled "paradise." So call all the names you like! Your abuse is welcome, as it proves who wrong you are!

Old 10-23-2013, 05:15 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,679,402 times
oh, man...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area