U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 09:11 AM

5,866 posts, read 5,337,296 times

Advertisements

I've heard Palmetto isn't that nice of a place to live. But it's right across the bridge and we're not finding the housing we would like (size, age) in St. Pete. What's your opinion on Palmetto? Also, is Ellenton and Parrish that much further to drive?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 10:14 AM

1,713 posts, read 2,140,587 times
Check out Google Maps, and focus on Palmetto. You'll notice Ellenton touches it to the East, and then Parrish touches Ellenton again to the east. From Palmetto to Parrish is about a 5 minute drive. You didnt mention what size house or what age house you wanted. Palmetto is a lot of older homes. And its a bit ghetto. Most exclusively ghetto and retirees. Ellenton is nicer and so is Parrish. Ellenton/Parrish have a lot of new construction, the outlet malls, restaurants, etc..... Living south of the bridge also gives you a toll every time you want to go to St Pete. If you could provide some more specifics on $, sqft, age, that would really help out a lot.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:20 PM

23,801 posts, read 11,643,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I've heard Palmetto isn't that nice of a place to live. But it's right across the bridge and we're not finding the housing we would like (size, age) in St. Pete. What's your opinion on Palmetto? Also, is Ellenton and Parrish that much further to drive?

Thanks
Palmetto is kind of a strange place and a bit of mixed bag. There is a part of the town that is poorer with some crime. But there is another part of town with neighborhoods that are closer to the water and sort of have an "old Florida" or southern feel to them, with a quaint but quiet Main Street. There is a nice marina area with restaurants by the river and there is a kind of charm and character to the older more expensive area. Ellenton has more new construction and subdivisions with some restaurants and the outlet mall, but not much in the way of character. I have only been there to go to the outlets. Parrish is mostly residential with lot of new housing construction built during the boom, but not much in the way of restaurants or things to do. Last time I picked up a friend out there, I did not even see a Publix in the area.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
Check out Google Maps, and focus on Palmetto. You'll notice Ellenton touches it to the East, and then Parrish touches Ellenton again to the east. From Palmetto to Parrish is about a 5 minute drive. You didnt mention what size house or what age house you wanted. Palmetto is a lot of older homes. And its a bit ghetto. Most exclusively ghetto and retirees. Ellenton is nicer and so is Parrish. Ellenton/Parrish have a lot of new construction, the outlet malls, restaurants, etc..... Living south of the bridge also gives you a toll every time you want to go to St Pete. If you could provide some more specifics on $, sqft, age, that would really help out a lot.
We're wanting newer construction - less than 10 years old - at least 1800 sqft.

I know there is a toll - does that bridge use a pass system? Factoring in that expense will also help with narrowing down our search.

Where we are at in our moving process: not until the summer when our child is out of school. We'll be putting our home on the market at the beginning of the year. The job hunt has started and this house hunt is trying to narrow down where we really want to concentrate our efforts.

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
We're wanting newer construction - less than 10 years old - at least 1800 sqft.

I know there is a toll - does that bridge use a pass system? Factoring in that expense will also help with narrowing down our search.
Skyway Bridge utilizes the SunPass system (which is good all over Florida).

Just wondering if you have check out Tierra Verde area?

Old 10-24-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Skyway Bridge utilizes the SunPass system (which is good all over Florida).

Just wondering if you have check out Tierra Verde area?
Out of our price range...

Old 11-05-2013, 06:31 AM

I'm still on the fence about commuting.

We are planning our second preliminary trip in the coming weeks and this is one of the issues we are thinking about.

Do we live in the Palmetto/Parrish/Ellenton area and commute to St. Pete? Living here would give us a larger, newer home in our price range.

Or

Do we look at older, smaller homes in St. Pete and eliminate the commute?

Does anyone here do that drive on a daily basis????

Old 11-07-2013, 12:22 PM

The commute to St. Pete is not really that bad unless the bridge is closed which rarely happens as it is only closed for big storms or extreme winds. In that case it sucks, because you would have to drive a long way around through Tampa. Also if there is an accident or suicide (it happens) on the bridge, it can hold up traffic for hours. I know you are focused on the old house vs. new house thing, but to me it would be more a question of do you want to live in a city and have closer access to all the city amenities in St. Pete and Tampa, or live in the quiet suburbs? I commuted for years from Bradenton to downtown Sarasota and I hated it. The commute went from 25 minutes to 45 minutes in season (which seems to be starting earlier every year). Personally, I find driving here very frustrating as you are dealing with a lot of distracted tourists who drive poorly and do not know where they are going. Slow drivers cling to the passing lane of the interstate -- either inconsiderate, oblivious or brain dead. If I had to do it over, I would pick no commute. I was already stressed by the time I got to work.

Other differences? The median age is much younger in St. Pete. You did not mention kids, but if you have them, you should check out school districts as they vary widely in Fla. If it were me, I would rent in St. Pete, and if I decided I did not like it, then look at areas south of the bridge. Once you buy a house, you are pretty much stuck for two years if you do not want to pay capital gains tax when you sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area