Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 08:10 AM

98 posts, read 291,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
why do we have to bring politics into this. all you have to do is read the postings above, everyone mentioning multiple choices available, lower premiums than before and general satisfaction. I guess the mentality doesnt change

Let's see people talk about health insurance six months down the road, not right after birth.
The first post laid the blame on the insurance industry. I simply corrected that with the facts. If you feel it is political, so be it. But, the facts are the facts. Obama and the Dems who rammed this down our throats are to blame for insurance companies having to drop plans and increase costs to others just to meet the Obamacare law demands. Millions more Americans will lose their coverage and their doctors over the next year or two. Just the facts. If you view it as political, it is because of the first post in the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 08:43 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,629,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCSteel View Post
The first post laid the blame on the insurance industry. I simply corrected that with the facts. If you feel it is political, so be it. But, the facts are the facts. Obama and the Dems who rammed this down our throats are to blame for insurance companies having to drop plans and increase costs to others just to meet the Obamacare law demands. Millions more Americans will lose their coverage and their doctors over the next year or two. Just the facts. If you view it as political, it is because of the first post in the thread.
Your post couldn't be any more political if you tried, and as long as things remain political nothing will ever be accomplished.

Gary

Old 12-08-2013, 10:46 AM

15 posts, read 16,652 times
OKCSTEEL- The posters on here supporting this train wreck, as described by a Democratic US Senator, are nothing but mouthpieces for Obamacare. No bankruptcies, money savings, and better coverage as a result of Obamacare is just conjecture.

Well guess what. I am one of the statistics that has seen my insurance go up $250 dollars a month. That is fact. My gosh 700 MILLION to put up a website that DOESN"T work and wasn't tested. What a joke.

Don't tell me how great it is.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:40 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
Another interesting note is under the affordable care act the federal government increased the size of medicare. Medicare is a program that is payed for by the Federal government but administered by the states.

20 states are not implementing the expanded medicare Florida being one of them. the program is being paid for by additional payroll taxes so everyone who works in Florida pays for this expansion that Florida for political reasons will not take part in.. The net effect is that Florida residents will pay $5 billion dollars into a program that its government wont take part in, a program that costs the government of Florida nothing.

There is a multiplying effect to this $5 billion dollars the people who are not going to be covered by medicare will now be going to the emergency room without insurance and because they cant afford to pay it will increase medical costs for those who have insurance.

Bottom line $5 billion of taxes paid with no benefit to the tax payers and an additional $5 billion or more to cover the uninsured.:smac k:
You are confused between Medicare and Medicaid.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You are confused between Medicare and Medicaid.
My Bad but it doesn't change the numbers or the level of stupidity.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:13 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
My Bad but it doesn't change the numbers or the level of stupidity.
You said "the program is being paid for by additional payroll taxes so everyone who works in Florida pays for this expansion ".

However, only individuals making over $200k/year in earned income pay for this.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You said "the program is being paid for by additional payroll taxes so everyone who works in Florida pays for this expansion ".

However, only individuals making over $200k/year in earned income pay for this.
That may be true but its still 5 Billion dollars that the state of Florida has refused to accept from the federal government

Old 12-08-2013, 02:53 PM

180 posts, read 262,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCSteel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by viva puerto rico View Post
OKCSTEEL- The posters on here supporting this train wreck, as described by a Democratic US Senator, are nothing but mouthpieces for Obamacare. No bankruptcies, money savings, and better coverage as a result of Obamacare is just conjecture.

Well guess what. I am one of the statistics that has seen my insurance go up $250 dollars a month. That is fact. My gosh 700 MILLION to put up a website that DOESN"T work and wasn't tested. What a joke.

Don't tell me how great it is.
Again guys....

Give it time. At this point the only thing that was certain is that the old way wasn't working. Here are some facts.

1) People couldn't get health insurance because of pre-existing conditions
2) People would get kicked off after they got sick.
3) Health expenses is the number one reason people file for bankruptcy.
4) There were people who could afford health insurance but chose not to buy it. They were perfectly happy to file for bankruptcy and let you and me pay for it.
5) It makes people take personal responsibility (remember what that is?).
6) This was originally a conservative idea (because of number 5) that came out of the Heritage Foundation and Newt Gingrich in the 90's. But I guess conservatives don't believe in personal responsibility anymore.
7) The insurance companies would play God and decide whether or not they would pay for life saving treatment.

The bottom line is that what we had wasn't working and the ACA is 100% "free market based".

All the law is saying is that

a) If you can afford to buy it you will. If you can't it will be subsidized.
b) The insurance companies will no longer be able to deny you for pre-existing conditions or kick you off when you get sick.
c) Insurance companies will no longer be able to sell junk policies that cost a lot but pay very little.

Like with any major legislation there will be a lot of tweaking but it is now the law of the land and like SS and Medicare it is here to stay. You may not like it but it's here to stay.

Addendum.....

Just from the tone of your posts I would venture to guess that if it was Bush and the GOP that "rammed this down our throats" you would be simply peachy keen with it. And if you think the old way was working and nothing should have been done then you are in deep denial.

Nobody is denying it got off to a bad start (face it, it sucked) and yes, under the criteria, some people will see an increase. But never forget that people are and were dying without health insurance (including the 35 year old son of a close friend of mine about a month ago). Given the health insurance industry over the past twenty years or so things can only improve because it sure as heck couldn't get any worse.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:22 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,072 times
This is just another redistribution of money. He is screwing the middle class in am effort to destroy the country. This will take billions out of the economy and prolong a pathetic or should it be termed a nonexistent recovery. By involving the government in health care is a pure waste of money. Let's just pretend they operate efficiently, even then there is another level of management involved. Every hand in the pot takes a piece that never makes it to the doctor or patient. They have wasted nearly one billion dollars in the website rollout. One in four that signed up on the website does not even have insurance. Now we pay for ads to tell us a bad deal is a good one. You all need to give up the koolaid.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:43 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
Every hand in the pot takes a piece that never makes it to the doctor or patient.
Precisely. Can you say "insurance company". Their operating costs are much higher than Medicare. Obama didn't go far enough. There should have been a public option to provide competition to the insurance companies.

BTW, all of you who don't want Obamacare. What's your solution? The status quo was not working as stated before- insurance companies refusing coverage, kicking people out who got sick, etc...

What are the Republicans who have tried to repeal this some 40 odd times proposing as an alternative? I've tried looking at their sites and I see NOTHING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area