Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 01:15 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times

Advertisements

The weekend is almost here, so time for my weekly list of things to do in and around Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice:

First, this event is in Tampa but worth mentioning. Saturday is the childrens version of the Gasparilla pirate festival (no alcohol), the adults version is the following Saturday. There will be a parade and lots of events geared towards the little ones, lots of pirates handing out beads and candy, great fun for the family. Starts at 11 am on Bayshore Blvd. Adult version the following Saturday includes a full fledged pirate invasion from the bay on a "pirate ship," a huge parade of 70+ floats, lots of partying & beads.
Kind of a tamer version of Mardi Gras in New Orleans.

In our area:

Friday

The band Abba performs at the Van Wezel at 8 pm, Ticket info on the Van Wezel website.

Saturday

Ringling Bridge Run - starts at 7:30 am at the Van Wezel, 1 mile run starts at 8:30 am. Entry fees for participants. Very popular event.

Oscar Scherer State Park in Osprey hosts their All Trails Hike, 7:30 am - 9 am with grilled hot dogs 11 am - 2 pm. Hike the various trails thru the park. $10/adults, under 16 free.

Saturday & Sunday

Sarasota Winter Fine Arts Festival - on Gulfsteam Ave in downtown Sarasota. Sat 10 - 5, Sun 11 - 5. Free. More than 120 artists & craftsmen display/sell paintings, sculptures, photography, jewelry, glass works, etc.

Anna Maria Island Chalk Festival - new event, on Pine Ave. Children in grades 7 - 12 can have their own individual spots for chalk drawing, 6th grade & under participate in the childrens area. 10 am to sunset.

Also on AMI, the AMI Arts & Crafts Show - 10 to 4:30 each day at the Holmes Beach city hall field.

Venice - Nokomis Art Festival - Venice Airport Festival Grounds. Satu 9 - 5, Sun 10 - 5. Adults $2, kids free.

Sunday

Circus Ring of Fame ceremony at St. Armands Circle - 1:30 to 3:30 pm. Live concert of circus music before the event.

Jazz concert at Venice Centennial Park at the gazebo - starts 2 pm, free. Bring lawn chairs or blankets.

Sarasota Dollhouse Miniatures Festival - at the Ramada Marina Hotel 10 - 4 pm. Adults $7, under 12 $3.

Car Show & Drag Racing - Bradenton Motorsports Park, 11 am - 4:30 pm. $20/adults at gate.

Manatee County Fair

The Manatee county fair runs Jan 16 - 26th. Fairgrounds located in Palmetto. All the things you would expect to see at a county fair and some recognizable names on the entertainment schedule. Adults $7, Seniors $6, Children 6 - 12 $5 and under 6 free. Special ticket package days, check the fair's website.

It will be chilly this weekend, but my husband talked to a good friend in Traverse City, MI and they are getting, snow, snow & more snow and weekend highs of around 25, so we can't complain too much about the cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 04:09 PM

9 posts, read 14,001 times
Sunshine,
Thank you for this info! I live out of town and am planning on coming to Sarasota the weekend of Jan 25th and the 26th. I will be checking the area in hopes of finding a good place to rent short term until I find a good apt there… I had seen somewhere there was going to be an Art festival at St Armand's Circle on that weekend… do you have any idea?
Thanks!

Old 01-17-2014, 01:28 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
Hi Jaicee,

Yes, there is a large art festival at St. Armands Circle next weekend, Saturday & Sunday, 10-5 each day. St. Armands is a beautiful shopping center with a park in the center, lots of great restaurants too. Well worth seeing.

There's also an art festival both days in downtown Sarasota at the Five Points Park.

Running Sat & Sun is the Indian Festival at the Sarasota fairgrounds on Ringling. Native American culture, traditions and food are celebrated. Tickets $7/adults.

Huge car show on Sunday in Lakewood Ranch on Rangeland Parkway, over 1500 antique and collectable cars. Free admission.

Wings of Freedom Tour will be at the Venice Airport next weekend, tour WWII fighter planes. Adults $12, 12 & under $6.

There are a number of other, smaller events that I will be posting next week, before the weekend, so check for that thread.

One of the biggest events in our area and probably one of the most unique takes place in Tampa on Jan 25th. Gasparilla Fest. The pirate, Gasparilla, and his crew sail into Tampa Bay and take over the city for the day. His "pirate ship" is always accompanied by lots of other boats, it is quite a show. The parade starts at 2 pm on Bayshore Drive. Big parade with 75+ floats, lots of pirates and thrown beads. Beer & food vendors. Party takes place until 10 pm at Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park. It has been toned down from previous years, but still has a Mardi Gras flavor.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:42 PM

9 posts, read 14,001 times
Default Thank You!

So much going on in town! I will make a note for my visit!
Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area