Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 10:14 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I use artificials and I catch and release so I don't have to worry about what to do with them. When will you be here? Check out Paddle-Fishing.com | Keep Your Paddle In the Water for all sorts of info including launch points.
I will be there early June, I will have a kayak rental for the week I'm there (2 seater) which I did during my last visit.

However, I will not be able to tow it to different launch points so I'm limited to launching off the beach about 3/4 miles north of the main beach on Siesta Key.

So, to get in the bay I'd have to paddle up through the pass north of there which would be a bit of a workout and again I'm not sure where I'd even begin to stash gear etc. and I'm used to stashing fish on a stringer but would be a little worried about attacting a bull shark etc if I did that.

I have a cast net and actually enjoy catching bait fish with it so I might just stick to fishing off the beach more at dawn and dusk with those and shrimp etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 01:50 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
So, a few questions. Will you have a car? Do you need a two seater? A 13' or so single will be easy to cartop with a couple of straps and a couple of pool foam noodles. Most people use a milk carton for their gear but (trust me) the less stuff you take, the better. I have seen people use those cold bags from Publix (with some ice or cold packs) and use those to hold their catch in the kayak. IMHO, it's not a good idea to keep your catch on a stringer over the side.

There are plenty of places that you can park and put in a kayak for either the beach or the bay but, if you really want to fish the beach, you'll probably find snook swimming very close to the water's edge up and down the beach. They actually swim in the first trough along the beach. The best time to go out is just before dawn for about an hour or so. You don't need to go out in the kayak for that but you can. You may also see tarpon out there in the morning but I would not try to get them unless you have someone with you who is experienced. People do it (and I have tried a few times) but it can be dangerous if you are not accompanied or properly prepared. Besides you need a lot heavier equipment for a tarpon than you do for snook or a trout. If you go with live bait, I'd use circle hooks.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
So, a few questions. Will you have a car? Do you need a two seater? A 13' or so single will be easy to cartop with a couple of straps and a couple of pool foam noodles. Most people use a milk carton for their gear but (trust me) the less stuff you take, the better. I have seen people use those cold bags from Publix (with some ice or cold packs) and use those to hold their catch in the kayak. IMHO, it's not a good idea to keep your catch on a stringer over the side.

There are plenty of places that you can park and put in a kayak for either the beach or the bay but, if you really want to fish the beach, you'll probably find snook swimming very close to the water's edge up and down the beach. They actually swim in the first trough along the beach. The best time to go out is just before dawn for about an hour or so. You don't need to go out in the kayak for that but you can. You may also see tarpon out there in the morning but I would not try to get them unless you have someone with you who is experienced. People do it (and I have tried a few times) but it can be dangerous if you are not accompanied or properly prepared. Besides you need a lot heavier equipment for a tarpon than you do for snook or a trout. If you go with live bait, I'd use circle hooks.
Yeah, I don't have the gear for Tarpon. I've seen them swim right down the beach in front of me though.

I'd be happy just fishing for snook off the beach and I definitely have used circle hooks in the past. I've caught trout once or twice before along the beach as well as sheepshead and little bit of this and that.

I will have a rental car, I think I just don't want to hassle with the Kayak fishing considering I'm a novice Kayaker to begin with anyway.

Last time I went down I spent more time up later drinking wine and did more fishing at poor times to catch stuff.

I figure I will do MY fishing in the wee hours then help the kids fish during the day and towards dusk and during the day I can just stock up on bait fish etc. since I have a portable aerator that fits on a bucket.

If I catch some smaller fish and they die, any recommendation as to when\what\how to use those as bait?

I would think if I put a sinker on them and let them float about a foot off the bottom near dusk I'd get some bites....during the day without a weight they float up and then I catch sea gulls lol.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:49 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
I've never tried using dead bait on the beach but I think you have the right idea. Most of the beach guys use pretty long poles so they can cast it out a long way but, again, I don't think that is all that important. If you are going to be near Point of Rocks and you can get there before all the swimmers get in the water, I imagine (but don't know) that would be a good spot since structure is what ambush predators like.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I've never tried using dead bait on the beach but I think you have the right idea. Most of the beach guys use pretty long poles so they can cast it out a long way but, again, I don't think that is all that important. If you are going to be near Point of Rocks and you can get there before all the swimmers get in the water, I imagine (but don't know) that would be a good spot since structure is what ambush predators like.
Ok, I will have to go down and fish there a little bit to change things up.

I'm staying at the FAR north end of the beach. A couple blocks north and east of the downtown shops.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:25 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,992 times
if you fish on a kayak you probably could set up an open net bag of some sort and keep it in the water alongside the kayak to keep the fish alive and fresh

Old 01-24-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, I will have to go down and fish there a little bit to change things up.

I'm staying at the FAR north end of the beach. A couple blocks north and east of the downtown shops.
That should read northwest.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
if you fish on a kayak you probably could set up an open net bag of some sort and keep it in the water alongside the kayak to keep the fish alive and fresh
Call me a big fraidy cat but I've seen waaaaay too many videos on youtube of Bull sharks, hammer heads etc. going after peoples fish.

Not to mention the kayaker that died a few weeks back or so in Hawaii after getting his leg torn off.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:11 AM

128 posts, read 264,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I will be there early June, I will have a kayak rental for the week I'm there (2 seater) which I did during my last visit.
I would contact Steve Gibson - google "Kayak Fishing Sarasota" and you'll find him quite easily.

He's a wealth of information, extremely reasonably priced, and knows the sandbars and channels and potholes of the bay like the back of his hand.

I've used his guide service many times and always catch more fish in 6-hours than I do in a week of trying to do it on my own.

Fishing on vacations is a "must" for me, but I would much rather hire a guide, focus completely on fishing for a half-day, and then enjoy the rest of my vacation without lugging rods and tackle all over the place in an effort to rationalize my having undertaken the inconvenience of bringing them with me.

Deep sea fishing will literally cost you a house payment and you'll catch a few barracuda and maybe a kingfish.

I've never fished in the bay from a kayak and caught less than 30 fish - and the variety of species is amazing. There are days when I've caught over 100 - and I'm barely an intermediate angler. I have a ton of enthusiasm, but not a ton of skill. The connection with nature is also amazing. Dolphins playing within 20 yards, stingrays and small sharks gliding under your boat, birds of all types so close you can hear the wind rushing through their feathers. It is an amazing experience BEFORE you add in the thrill of catching redfish, sea trout, snook, and ladyfish.

You absolutely will not be disappointed going out with Steve. You'll be smiling about it for the rest of your trip.

Keep us posted!

Old 01-27-2014, 09:15 AM

128 posts, read 264,054 times
Default Point of Rocks

Quote:
I've never fished there, but Point of Rocks has been recommended as a hot-spot by many people to whom I've spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area