Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:03 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times

Advertisements

A few years ago when was an active diver, we met some friends at Crescent Beach and I decided to bring my mask, fins, and snorkel just for grins. I had heard of Point of Rocks from my charts but had no familiarity with it. I was very surprised to find sponges and tropical fish similar to what I've seen in the keys--not as many or as diverse--but still there. I have to think that bigger fish hang there too but in the deeper water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 10:10 AM

128 posts, read 264,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
There are plenty of places that you can park and put in a kayak for either the beach or the bay but, if you really want to fish the beach, you'll probably find snook swimming very close to the water's edge up and down the beach. They actually swim in the first trough along the beach. The best time to go out is just before dawn for about an hour or so. If you go with live bait, I'd use circle hooks.
Total agreement with our good friend BBRONSTON - Circle hooks 100% of the time - so much better for catching fish and for releasing them alive. No gut hooks, no gill hooks, almost no foul hooks.

MathGuy - You'll see sight-fishermen with fly rods hustling up and down the beach from April to August looking for snook. They'll be in so close and so shallow that you won't believe it. Sight-fishing for them is almost more than my heart can take - so unbelievably exciting.

You'll have to hoof it up and down the beach to spot them, but it's worth it.

Last edited by zmgriffith; 01-27-2014 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: Clarify intended recipients

Old 01-28-2014, 06:56 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmgriffith View Post
Total agreement with our good friend BBRONSTON - Circle hooks 100% of the time - so much better for catching fish and for releasing them alive. No gut hooks, no gill hooks, almost no foul hooks.

MathGuy - You'll see sight-fishermen with fly rods hustling up and down the beach from April to August looking for snook. They'll be in so close and so shallow that you won't believe it. Sight-fishing for them is almost more than my heart can take - so unbelievably exciting.

You'll have to hoof it up and down the beach to spot them, but it's worth it.
I've actually seen them sight fishing for snook. I've fished down there before, just trying to improve my chances.

I'm a big fan of the circle hooks as well.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:59 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
What is the best way to get to point of rocks and fish?

Park at the main beach parking lot and walk? Or is there a better option.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:48 AM

128 posts, read 264,054 times
Default Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
What is the best way to get to point of rocks and fish?

Park at the main beach parking lot and walk? Or is there a better option.
Parking down that way is extremely rough. If you're not staying at a hotel or resort, I wouldn't risk trying to park in their lot - not even for an hour. They'll tow a car without any hesitation, whatsoever. There are signs everywhere and the resorts ask for make, model, and plate numbers for guests to prohibit beachgoers from using their lots.

The public beach parking isn't a terrible walk from there, and your car would be safe. If you see a bait ball getting busted up on your way down the beach, you can stop and try some casts.

BBRONSTON may know of a different parking lot - I'm new to town, so I'm still learning.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:11 AM

What I remember is that you head west on Stickney Point, cross Midnight Pass Rd. and there is a deep, narrow parking lot right there. Now, while I am a by-the-book-goody-two-shoes-type who won't park where I am not allowed, my wife has a....ummm....more 'adaptable' point of view on parking regulations. She drove there the times I've been there and it could be that the place I recall is not a public parking area. I'm not really sure but I think it was legit.

Anyway, you walk out to the beach and follow the beach to the south (or left if you prefer) until it abruptly stops at the rocks.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:07 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,339 times
I have hated fishing since childhood imprisonment on family fishing trips (yawn--die of boredom as only an adolescent can) but you guys are making kayak fishing sound really fun. I can't believe I am following with great interest a thread about fishing.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:28 PM

It's only boring if you actually expect to catch something but don't. So, you should go fishing and either expect to catch nothing (in which case you will have a fulfilled time on the water and in the sun) or you should go and actually catch fish (in which case you will be excited and be eager to go again.) See? It's all about managing your attitude.

But, mostly you are right...it's boring. Unless you are catching fish.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:36 PM

Oh my gosh, I just had a revelation! Since nothing is real anymore (ie. non-alcoholic beer, electric cigarettes, Coke Zero, etc.) we can invent a robotic fish that you attach to a line, throw in the water, and (at some arbitrary point in the next 15 minutes) it swims and pulls like the strongest jack or king until you land it. All the excitement of fishing, all the certainty that one might attribute to seeing the world at Epcot, and none of the mess! So, who wants to get in on the ground floor? Anyone? Anyone?

Old 01-28-2014, 01:29 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Oh my gosh, I just had a revelation! Since nothing is real anymore (ie. non-alcoholic beer, electric cigarettes, Coke Zero, etc.) we can invent a robotic fish that you attach to a line, throw in the water, and (at some arbitrary point in the next 15 minutes) it swims and pulls like the strongest jack or king until you land it. All the excitement of fishing, all the certainty that one might attribute to seeing the world at Epcot, and none of the mess! So, who wants to get in on the ground floor? Anyone? Anyone?
Wasn't that what Vladimir Putin's pike was?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area