Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 03:40 AM

35 posts, read 49,419 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me how living in Longboat Key is like? I recently saw some u tube videos citing the township and code enforcers corrupt and making residents miserable. That video was made 2010. Any problems since then? I'm interested in purchasing a condo. Are the HOA's in the condominiums ethical or have you heard problems? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 11:55 AM

252 posts, read 370,952 times
In reality, everyone lives in a small community. Even in downtown Toronto, you live day-to-day within a couple blocks of your house. And in that regard, you're living in a community not unlike the size of Longboat Key, wherever you may be. Replete with nosy, overbearing neighbors and local/municipal issues. Having said that, I'm not a resident of LBK, but would very much like to be one day. The island is spotless, with private uncrowded beaches, unlike anywhere else between Anna Maria and Venice. As far as I'm concerned (being a snowbird) I want beaches and sunsets first, and a small city at my disposal second. Lets not forget almost no violent crime to speak of, and enough restaurant, grocery and fuel so you don't have to leave on a daily basis. I don't think the HOA's on LBK would be much different than HOA's anywhere else, except that the owners are probably wealthier on average. To each his own, but to me LBK would be one helluva place to live, at least seasonally. And no jacked up Mustang parts cars and howling dogs either. See you there someday.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:55 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,833 times
I originally posted this message in the wrong thread. Opps.

Longboat Key residents have something like the 3rd highest net worth per household of any zip code in US.

I don't believe in discriminating against the wealthy, but they are accustomed to having a certain amount of power and influence that could filter into HOA politics. Hubby and I have been on the boards of 3 HOAs and IMHO, all HOAs have a certain level of drama and politics. The more sophisticated the people, the more sophisticated the fights, jockeying, and back stabbing. In that environment I would expect better reserve funding and stickler enforcement of rules. But that is just speculation. And I agree you won't have car parts in the yard.

Last time I was in Sarasota, a 79 year old guy who lives on LBK was sitting next to me at the lunch counter. Asked him how he liked it there. His answer was too many people have their nose up in the air for his tastes.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,125 times
LongNose Key
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area