Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 04:54 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco_camila View Post
Thank you for taking your time to respond with your opinion. I actually was looking for advice.
From my loving family of 2 mommies and 6 children. God bless you!
Holy cow!

Make sure your job is locked down. As the other poster said, there is nothing in North Port.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 01:43 PM

93 posts, read 192,257 times
Why was my comment cut by a moderator for "Rude comments unacceptable" but the person claiming the OP needed birth control due to the amount of children then have acceptable? I was simply trying to say that their comments were rude, yet it was my comment that was cut? That's messed up!

Old 01-29-2014, 06:19 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,999,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittletyguy View Post
Why was my comment cut by a moderator for "Rude comments unacceptable" but the person claiming the OP needed birth control due to the amount of children then have acceptable? I was simply trying to say that their comments were rude, yet it was my comment that was cut? That's messed up!
They removed his entire comment, thankfully, and probably didnt want anything referring to it.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:23 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
You shouldn't have a problem finding a 4 bedroom home to purchase in North Port. I have a home in North Port for rent (my personal house). I have lived in North Port for about 14 years now.

I too have a Labrabull (Pit/Lab). Like others have mentioned, there might be an issue renting with dogs that have Pit in them, you'd have to take it on a case by case basis.

My daughter went to Toledo Blade Elementary in North Port and we liked it. I have friends with kids in Cranberry Elementary and they speak highly of that school as well. In my opinion, it has a lot to do with the specific teacher your child gets.

North Port is the second largest city in land area in the state of Florida, so there are a lot of areas to choose from. It really depends if you would like a more remote area with not many homes on the street or an area that has more people and kids to play with. You might also want to check out Lakeside Plantation as an option.

Good luck with your search!

Old 02-03-2014, 12:58 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
It would be easier for people to respond if we had more information, such as:

What town/city specifically is your employer transfering you to? That's important info as commute times should be factored in to location if you cannot work from home.

As someone else already mentioned, how secure do you feel about your employment after your job transfer? You didn't say where you would be moving from, but most jobs up north pay more (sometimes significantly more) than similar jobs here in FL. If you had to find a replacement job here, you have to decide whether you could sustain your family on that alternate income.

Another factor about job security is location. Should you need to find a replacement job once you moved here, where are the majority of similar jobs to your current one to be found? North Port has affordable homes, but not much in the way of employment that pays well. Many that live in North Port and work have to commute to Sarasota, which is about 30 miles from Sarasota.

As to schools, Sarasota county in general has higher rated schools than Manatee county, most of the Sarasota county elementary schools have good ratings, there are some lesser graded middle & high schools.

Regarding North Port, I do know one school, Lamarque Elementary, is having on-going problems with teachers & students complaining about allergy-like symptoms. The school building has been tested multiple times for contaminants but they cannot as yet pinpoint what is creating the symptoms. They have also spent $250,000 on air-quality testing and treatments so far. If you do decide to look at North Port homes, you may wish to look for alternative school districts.

If you do not know the area at all, I usually suggest renting here for at least 6-12 months until you learn the area and neighborhoods better, so that when you do purchase a home you will be more informed and therefore purchase one in a neighborhood you know you like, not just one that "looks good on paper."

However, since you have 2 large dogs and 1 is considered an agressive breed by insurance companies here, it would be very difficult to find a rental that will allow your pets. Even if you purchase here, you will find it difficult to get insurance coverage for liability regarding your pitbull.

Before making a major move such as this, it makes sense to go back to your employer with your concerns and see what kind of guarantees you can get regarding your job before you take that transfer.

It would also make sense to have a significant cash emergency fund to cover costs associated with such a move as well as a cushion should one of you need to seek other employment once you move here. I know people that have had to look more than 6 months before they found suitable employment and, as I said previously wages are not usually comparable to "up north." Neither are benefits, by the way. Many employers here are small so are not required to offer health insurance, do not offer benefits packages like those you find in other places.

Please understand that I am not trying to discourage you from making a move, only trying to give you a broader perspective of the pros and cons of moving to our area.
North Port is great, don't let Sunshine Rules scare you off (she does not have listings in NP and thus tries to steer folks away from North Port)). Let other more credible Real Estate Professionals like TAMRE or FLSOGal help you out.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:06 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
North Port is great, don't let Sunshine Rules scare you off (she does not have listings in NP and thus tries to steer folks away from North Port)). Let other more credible Real Estate Professionals like TAMRE or FLSOGal help you out.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion but you do not have a right on this board to make personal attacks according to the c-d rules.

You do not know me, so how can you comment about my credibility? I was not directing anyone to OR from a particular city, I was making a point that if the OP is moving here with a large family on a job transfer for one of them, they might wish to rent before making a large financial commitment to buy -- no matter what city in FL they are considering. And, to play devil's advocate - isn't it interesting that agents in North Port with listings in North Port almost always recommend North Port, but you don't take issue with that ......

Last edited by Sunshine Rules; 02-03-2014 at 03:26 PM..

Old 02-03-2014, 03:49 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,654,771 times
Quote:
Everyone has a right to their own opinion but you do not have a right on this board to make personal attacks according to the c-d rules.

You do not know me, so how can you comment about my credibility? I was not directing anyone to OR from a particular city, I was making a point that if the OP is moving here with a large family on a job transfer for one of them, they might wish to rent before making a large financial commitment to buy -- no matter what city in FL they are considering. And, to play devil's advocate - isn't it interesting that agents in North Port with listings in North Port almost always recommend North Port, but you don't take issue with that ......
Spot on! You are probably the most credible re, on here; you give both sides!

Old 02-04-2014, 06:35 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:

For the record, I service and have listings in Manatee, Sarasota and Charlotte counties...not only North Port. I've lived in all three counties and think all of the counties have their good and bad points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area