Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 02:00 PM

35 posts, read 76,005 times

Advertisements

Thank you soooo much! Really! I've pretty much decided on Sarasota. Our teen girls will both be in High School when we move...any suggestions for an area with a great high school? Also, recommendations of good neighborhoods in the $300K - $400K range? Would LOVE new construction (hubby is a contractor/carpenter). We are not golfers (yet), don't care if it's gated or not (or should I??). Would like to be 20-30 minutes from the beaches. Going down in July to have a look around. Very excited to be near Siesta Key...I can imagine it gets crowed, but being at the Jersey shore during any weekend in summer is people on top of people on top of people, so crowds, noise & traffic don't bother me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 02:51 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,987 times
With 2 kids in High School, I would suggest looking for something in the Riverview HS district. It's the best ranked public HS here in town. They just rebuilt & expanded the school & it looks very nice. There are also many private/charter options as well.

Palmer Ranch area is nice & centrally located to everything. Not too far from Siesta either. I'd recommend checking it out.

If you come in July, it will be very quiet. Don't get a false impression though- the rest of the year is much more busy. However, coming in July will give you an idea of the summer heat & humidity at pretty much it's worst. We jumped in feet first & moved here in July (7 years ago) but we were glad we did it that way

Old 03-05-2014, 02:54 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,915,473 times
Mish,

You have three high schools in Sarasota. Booker with a "D" rating by the state. Sarasota with a "B/C" rating and Riverview with an "A/B" rating. My personal choice would be Riverview. They also have a very good IB Program and a very unique marching band, if your kids are into that.

Gated is a personal choice and there are many different variations of gated. Some have a card that you swipe for entrance, some have an actual guarded gate, some record your license plate.

Here are some communities that are in the Riverview School district. I would double check before purchasing though to make sure since school boundaries occasionally change.

Amberlea-There's one home in there currently for $375K. 4 bedrooms and 3 baths, 2872 under air, built in 1989 and the community is gated. Amberlea is located off Proctor Rd, just past McIntosh Rd.

Ashton Pointe- is a new DR Horton community located off of Clark Rd. The homes in here would be at the top end of your budget, coming in at $400K+. They are, however, brand new. Most have 4/5 bedrooms and 3500+ sq ft. It's a gated community and maintenance free with a playground.

Three Oaks-Many of the homes are lakefront and it is deed restricted.

Palmer Ranch communities

Palmer Ranch one of Sarasota's most popular and largest master planned communities with over 10,000 acres. Palmer Ranch actually consists of many neighborhoods, all individually operated under their own HOA. The common areas of Palmer Ranch are maintained by a master association. The overall look and feel of PR is "green" - the roads are grass and treelined, the sidewalks wind throughout the entire community, and they have recently been able to add the Legacy Trail to the many great aspects. The Legacy Trail is a paved walking/biking trail that runs through the woods along the path of the old railroad track.

Palmer Ranch is districted for great schools, is only 20 minutes to the beach, and is next door to the mall, new 12-screen movie theater and a fantastic YMCA complex, including a huge waterpark. Palmer Ranch is very popular with families.

Reymore St is the southern boundary for Palmer Ranch. The eastern boundary runs out to I-75, the western boundary goes to Beneva and the northern boundary runs nearly to Clark Rd. This tells a little more about Palmer Ranch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmer_Ranch Within Palmer Ranch is CJ Lofino YMCA Complex. It has a full aquatic center, gym/fitness, basketball, swimming, tennis, and water park for the kids.

Deer Creek- There is only one available in the Palmer Ranch community of Deer Creek. It's priced just over $400K. It has a 24 hour guarded gate and is located right by The Legacy trail for jogging, walking or biking.

The Hamptons- Priced at $329K. It has a community pool.

Isles of Sarasota-Priced at $345K-$400K. The Isles of Sarasota is a DiVosta Homes built neighborhood in Palmer Ranch. Located only 10 Minutes to I-75, 10 Minutes to Westfield Sarasota Square Mall, 20 Minutes to coveted Siesta Key, 25 Minutes to Lido Key & St. Armands Circle. The clubhouse of Isles features Village Center with World-Class Amenities and has Full-Time, On-Site Activities Director and amenities include; State-of-the-Art Fitness Center, Heated Lagoon Pool, 4 Lighted Tennis Courts, Sports Pavilion, 2 Bocce Ball Courts, Basketball Court, Lakeside Gazebo, Activity & Social Rooms for Classes and Events, Catering Kitchen, Neighborhood Post Office, Tot Lot Playground.

Stonebridge- One home priced at $365K. Single family homes with preserves and lakes.

Turtle Rock- Is a great option with homes starting in the $350K range. Turtle Rock offers a maintenance free section and is a 24 hour gated and secure community. Is also has heated community pool, 2 tennis courts, clubhouse, basketball courts, playground,miles of scenic and beautiful trails along with splendid water views.

Villagewalk- Villagewalk is a wonderfully designed resort styled 24 hour gated community with 6 Har-Tru tennis courts, community pools, state of the art fitness center, clubhouse with meeting/card/party rooms, Social Director, and miles of walking/bike paths set among 500 acres of lake filled paradise.

Wellington Chase-Single family homes priced at $325K & $345K.

I hope this helps with your home search and good luck with it

Old 03-05-2014, 07:45 PM

597 posts, read 1,442,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish1103 View Post
ILOVELIDOBEACH or ANYONE...if you were in your 40's and had two teens...what area would you choose? We are thinking Sarasota, Naples, Bonita Springs. Budget for a home is between $350,000-$450,000 max. Like nice, clean areas...want to be less than 1/2 hour from the beaches, low crime. Would like to be close to an area to see sporting events & concerts...willing to drive an hour for such events. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

I'm in my early 40's and I can tell you I prefer Naples over Sarasota. I don't have kids but my nieces are 14&17 and they couldn't wait to get out of Sarasota. Now when we go back to SRQ, they don't even want to go.

It's really something you have to check out and see for yourself. Naples is the hot spot for building, new shopping, nice beaches. It is super clean and safe.

It's totally upscale compared to Sarasota. So that is why you would have to come and see what you think. TONS of people from NJ and NY down here.

Investment wise? Naples would be my bet, hands down.

I have places in both cities and I can tell you Sarasota is tired, and old. When I go back and forth it really looks old and dirty in Sarasota compared to Naples/Bonita.

The beaches down here are close and they look like Lido.

I was looking at a house on on canal in Bonita Beach that was 1 block from the beach for $389,000. It as really nice. Now tell me where you can find a house that close to the beach for that price, on a canal???

You can DM me if you have more questions but that is my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area