Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 06:32 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,902,471 times

Advertisements

I just knew this was going to be a homeless guy before I even read the details. This library is basically unusable with the homeless in there hanging around. I haven't been in for ages but did about a month ago and there seems to be more homeless than ever in there and as a bonus the whole place stunk. The librarian from our school told me a long time ago she still goes in there but won't sit in a chair, use the bathroom or the computers and makes sure she leaves and enters when other patrons are around. What a shame for such a beautiful building.

UPDATE: Person stabbed after argument inside Selby Library - Sarasota News | Mysuncoast.com and ABC 7: Local News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 06:40 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,084,424 times
"Arriving officers approached Timshan, who was still sitting at the computer and found a bloody knife in his pocket."

I guess for him, stabbing people is just a normal way of dealing with a computer hog.

The homeless problem is so sad and scary

Old 02-14-2014, 08:21 PM

17,452 posts, read 38,829,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
"Arriving officers approached Timshan, who was still sitting at the computer and found a bloody knife in his pocket."

I guess for him, stabbing people is just a normal way of dealing with a computer hog.

The homeless problem is so sad and scary
It's frustrating and disgusting is what it is. Unfortunately, Sarasota has always been a MAGNET for a large segment of bums. I moved here first time in 1980, and you couldn't go to Island Park and find a bench that was not covered by a sleeping drunken bum. I'm sorry, but about now I am about out of sympathy.

Yeah, it's a crying shame we can't even use our beautiful library or parks downtown because of this crap.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:16 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,353,618 times
Downtown Sarasota's homeless population increases during the winter. It's mostly white males between 25 and 50 years of age, IMO. They hang out near the library and at 5 Points Park, just across from the library.

I feel sorry for people that move to the downtown area, expecting a trendy café scene. Instead, they find a bunch of homeless/hobos hanging out around there. There are fewer homeless during the summer in Sarasota. I think many of them head back up north when the weather up north gets better.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:47 PM

597 posts, read 1,435,055 times
Do you remember when every street corner suddenly was filled with homeless people with signs? There was a young couple that used to actually have their dog laying on the center island and the girl would pet it and the guy would hold the sign. The majority of them were all young and obviously able to work. I called to complain and was told by the city that they were bussed in from other states to protest at the Republican convention in Tampa and when they were finished they stayed. That was why there suddenly were tons of them. They worked as a team.

So they finally passed a law and got them off the streets and in stepped the ACLU that sued for voilations of"freedom of speech" and then they were back.

I remember once going to St. Armands and I was at the light on Tamiami Trail every single corner had one. There were 12 of them out working the cars. They worked shifts. They would work 4 hrs and then another would take over their spot. They were there from dusk to dawn. The one would play the wounded vet role and would limp past the cars and as soon as the light changed, he would run down to the starting location and get ready for the next group of cars. Then he would limp past again. Over and over he did this until his shift was over.

It cost the city hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees to finally get the wording right so the ACLU couldn't sue again and to get rid of them.

Now it is against the law for them to stand and hold signs and it is illegal for anyone in a car to pass anything to someone standing on a curb. But it is up to the cops to decide if they want to do something.

BTW for the people reading this and thinking people are being mean, actually in Sarasota there are over 100 places everyday that a homeless can get a hot cooked meal. So there is no reason for them to be begging cars for money.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:00 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,084,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
Do you remember when every street corner suddenly was filled with homeless people with signs? I called to complain and was told by the city that they were bussed in from other states to protest at the Republican convention in Tampa and when they were finished they stayed. That was why there suddenly were tons of them. They worked as a team.
So with any luck they will work the next Republican Convention. Cities expressing interest in hosting the 2016 Republican National Convention include Las Vegas, Charlotte, Kansas City, Phoenix, St. Louis and Salt Lake City. Not many homeless in Vegas, so there would definitely be a need for their services.

Or maybe the Republicans will say "turn about is fair play". Cities expressing interest in hosting the 2016 Democratic National Convention include Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas, Indianapolis,Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Nashville, Newark, and Salt Lake City. If I were homeless, I would say no thanks a ticket to Minneapolis or Newark (unless it were round-trip).

Old 02-15-2014, 07:07 PM

180 posts, read 260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
Do you remember when every street corner suddenly was filled with homeless people with signs? There was a young couple that used to actually have their dog laying on the center island and the girl would pet it and the guy would hold the sign. The majority of them were all young and obviously able to work. I called to complain and was told by the city that they were bussed in from other states to protest at the Republican convention in Tampa and when they were finished they stayed. That was why there suddenly were tons of them. They worked as a team.

So they finally passed a law and got them off the streets and in stepped the ACLU that sued for voilations of"freedom of speech" and then they were back.

I remember once going to St. Armands and I was at the light on Tamiami Trail every single corner had one. There were 12 of them out working the cars. They worked shifts. They would work 4 hrs and then another would take over their spot. They were there from dusk to dawn. The one would play the wounded vet role and would limp past the cars and as soon as the light changed, he would run down to the starting location and get ready for the next group of cars. Then he would limp past again. Over and over he did this until his shift was over.

It cost the city hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees to finally get the wording right so the ACLU couldn't sue again and to get rid of them.

Now it is against the law for them to stand and hold signs and it is illegal for anyone in a car to pass anything to someone standing on a curb. But it is up to the cops to decide if they want to do something.

BTW for the people reading this and thinking people are being mean, actually in Sarasota there are over 100 places everyday that a homeless can get a hot cooked meal. So there is no reason for them to be begging cars for money.
Uh-Huh

Old 02-15-2014, 07:10 PM

180 posts, read 260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
So with any luck they will work the next Republican Convention. Cities expressing interest in hosting the 2016 Republican National Convention include Las Vegas, Charlotte, Kansas City, Phoenix, St. Louis and Salt Lake City. Not many homeless in Vegas, so there would definitely be a need for their services.

Or maybe the Republicans will say "turn about is fair play". Cities expressing interest in hosting the 2016 Democratic National Convention include Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas, Indianapolis,Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Nashville, Newark, and Salt Lake City. If I were homeless, I would say no thanks a ticket to Minneapolis or Newark (unless it were round-trip).
I'm sure the Republicans would love to send their RINO Tea Party friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area