U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 12:08 PM

33,556 posts, read 53,417,933 times

Advertisements

My daughter just called and said the local church where her son is getting child care is closing for rest of week and maybe worn't reopen
they are having financial problems...
she tried two places she was considering for the next year (when he is older) and they (of course) are full...
she was pretty upset
her husband is working from home this week and can do damage control but it isn't the best choice cause he really does work and has to do conference calls and other computer stuff so he can't really give all his attention to child care...although he is a great dad....

any suggestions for maybe someone who is good and does home-based child care or a quality facility?

right now this place is just so close to her school--makes it very time efficient and easy plus they were really nice people--very caring--
I know that she would be upset if she has to choose someplace under duress that wouldn't make the cut if there were more time...and my husband and I could come out if needed---but the rest of the school year is long time for us to be in Florida...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 01:54 PM

3,979 posts, read 9,687,325 times
You can use this Child Care Provider Search - Child Care Provider Search - SansWrite Public Web Portal

Old 02-28-2014, 05:26 AM

She still hasn't been able to find a local day care with a place for a toddler---
and while the church is trying to set up shop in new location, what she has seen so far isn't reassuring as to the quality...it's in strip mall setting...

Does anyone know of an individual who does day care in the home?
She really doesn't want to drive into Sarasoto if she can find a suitable place closer...
thanks for any leads...
Difficult is compounded by fact that local day care was closed several weeks ago because it was not accredited or lost accreditation and those children took any open spots in local facilities...

Last edited by loves2read; 02-28-2014 at 05:37 AM..

Old 03-03-2014, 08:05 PM

I could not believe that my daughter spoke to the wife of the minister--she is head of the day care--and was told that after signing the lease for that new bldg and doing renovations for the past week to get it ready for the daycare and school they intended to move there---
they found at the inspection today that the building is not zoned for a day care...
since my grandson isn't school age whether it qualifies as school makes no difference...
but NOT to know ahead of time whether they were actually able to get a day care facility running again is just insane---
there may not be many parents who had their lives disrupted by this problem but it was real blow to my daughter since she was giving them her trust...

Old 03-04-2014, 07:31 AM

3,979 posts, read 9,687,325 times
Did you try the child care site I provided? That has the licensed day care individuals and facilities. You can check the newspaper, www.care.com, www.babysitter.com. Have your daughter ask neighbors, other people at church, people they work with, etc. Also, you could put an ad in the paper or on Craigslist. That is what my stepdaughter did. She interviewed several people before she found someone.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:18 AM

Yes--she called several of the ones listed right after the school was locked but the ones closest that she knew about either didn't take under 2 or were on wait list--
The original day care said they would have another location in short time and she would have preferred he went with people he knew--for continuity...
So after she couldn't find a place to take him right then, she waited hoping it would reopen this week--as she was told--
It's been almost 3 weeks since it was closed by now--in hindsight she should have just written off taking him back to the original people and looked harder...

once she realized that returning to the same church operated day care center was never going to be an option--yesterday after 4 when SHE had to call the school's director--
then she started looking in earnest for other possibilities---

One called WeekDay school with Presbyterian Church across from the Hobby Lobby on 41 has opening in his age group and it is not a torturous drive into Clark Rd off 75 where many others are located
she is going by after school today to check it out
it has been in operation for some time so seems unlikely to be in same situation as previous
just not lot of info on the Internet from people who have children there..

thanks for the website...
She has a place for him in June at the Methodist Church on the island--longer, more inconvenient drive, but it is good school and he can stay there until ready for public school...
just no openings in his age group immediately...

Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 PM

For what it's worth--and in case anyone searches in future for info on day care in this area--

my daughter found out that the people who moved her previous day care to another location were so full of untruth that she was disgusted...
They had been located at a church across from Pine View School and relocated to a store front on 41 toward Venice...
They don't a a license (which they lied about)
They failed their inspection because 1--they didn't have a license, 2--didn't have/pass a fire inspection, 3--AND they had at least 1 child staying there illegally since Monday this week...

She spoke to the woman who came to do the inspection for the state but couldn't since the place didn't even have a license and got some of that info--
and she also told the woman that they had been keeping at least one child there (and hid him when my daughter came Wed to pick up her son's personal info)...
So the inspector who lives close to this new location said she would likely go by to check on situation again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area