Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 06:28 AM

19 posts, read 34,062 times

Advertisements

The title says it all, I'm coming to north port to do some work on my new house, I don't really need much TV, if I can get a few channels I'll be good until winter when I'd get cable.
Thanks,
Dick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 02:57 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,545,164 times
Yes, you can get a few channels with a TV antenna. We have a TV in almost every room of our house except the bathrooms. We use Dish Network and didn't want to pay for a box in each room, so we have a TV antenna and it gets quite a few channels. Not sure with rabbit ears how many channels you would pick up, but I think it would work. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2014, 03:13 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,346,973 times
Or.............

Free Watch USA TV Channels Online | USA TV Online

Old 02-24-2014, 06:53 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
Yes, you can get a few channels with a TV antenna. We have a TV in almost every room of our house except the bathrooms. We use Dish Network and didn't want to pay for a box in each room, so we have a TV antenna and it gets quite a few channels. Not sure with rabbit ears how many channels you would pick up, but I think it would work. Good luck!
you actually don't need a box in every room. just one. Then the other tv
s can be hooked up to the regular cable wire. I have 2 boxes and three other tv's hooked up to the cable alone and they get most dish channels i subscribe to but on different channel numbers.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:57 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,163 times
I tried some " rabbit ears" I bought from radio shack on one of our recent trips to North Port. In our part of NP (northern part) they did not work-signal was very weak, and being digital now it would just break up. One cannot watch "snow" any more-the signal is either there or not.

It seems NP is in between the Tampa and FT Myers stations just enough to be in a dead zone.This was a couple of years ago. The guy at radio Shack let me return the rabbit ears, and recommended an outside pole/antennae arrangement. The antennae would have to be 10 feet above the roof line.

Good luck

Old 02-25-2014, 06:13 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,545,164 times
We have the antenna on our roof, but previous to that we used the rabbit ears, but that was in Port Charlotte, not North Port. I guess all you can do is try it out. Good luck!

Old 02-26-2014, 10:51 AM

697 posts, read 1,169,590 times
https://tvfool.com

Will tell you what you can expect to receive. You can use multiple antennas through a combiner to get more stations!

Old 02-26-2014, 06:35 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
NP is sort of in the middle of the Tampa and Ft Myers transmission towers. Rabbit ears will not work with digital. With analog signal you would get 'noise' on the screen. With digital, you either get a signal or you don't. But the good news is that you don't need the big old fashion 6 foot antenna. Places like Radio Shack and Home depot sell an antenna that is about 20"x20" and flat.
Go to antennaweb.org insert your address, a map will appear showing channels available and the exact compass direction to aim the antenna. Tampa station transmission tower is in Riverview. [might be too far] Ft Myers transmission tower is in N. Ft Myers Besides getting the normal channels, you will also get the -2, -3,-4 channels that includes ME, Movies, THIS, weather. Set TV to scan to get available channels. Main -1 channels will be 720 or 1080 wide screen 16/9 HD, -2, -3, -4 channels will be 480 old view 4/3 [bars left and right]
If you're in a new house with multiple connectors in the garage attic, do some re-connections with the wires. One wire to living room cable/Dish. Other wires to the antenna rooms.

Last edited by d4g4m; 02-26-2014 at 06:55 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 06:59 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
NP is sort of in the middle of the Tampa and Ft Myers transmission towers. Rabbit ears will not work with digital. With analog signal you would get 'noise' on the screen. With digital, you either get a signal or you don't. But the good news is that you don't need the big old fashion 6 foot antenna. Places like Radio Shack and Home depot sell an antenna that is about 20"x20" and flat.
Go to antennaweb.org insert your address, a map will appear showing channels available and the exact compass direction to aim the antenna. Tampa station transmission tower is in Riverview. [might be too far] Ft Myers transmission tower is in N. Ft Myers Besides getting the normal channels, you will also get the -2, -3,-4 channels that includes ME, Movies, THIS, weather. Set TV to scan to get available channels.
If you're in a new house with multiple connectors in the garage attic, do some re-connections with the wires. One wire to living room cable/Dish. Other wires to the antenna rooms.
Like I said I tried one of those Radio Shack flat digital antennas-it did not work for me at our place in NP-maybe the tech has improved.Or aiming it properly with the proper compass settings.

"Rabbit Ears" was just a term I used. But like I said doesn't hurt to try!

Old 02-28-2014, 05:11 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
I think house construction has something to do with reception as well--
frame house technically has "open" spaces between the 2x4's which makes receiving a signal easier--
CB homes are more solid except for the window spaces...if you are using antenna inside the room...
there are more powerful antennas that can be located in the attic space but sometimes there is not enough room with the lower roofs around here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area