U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:00 AM

15 posts, read 18,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSumGain View Post
The last thing Sarasota and Manatee County need is more "construction workers". The unemployment rate for these trades is off the chart. Many have moved on. I will say some areas are on the upswing, and the trendline seems decent, but even the fields of paralegals is top heavy - layoffs have occurred for title companies as well because of slowing foreclosures/sales, REOs, shorts, etc.

I would not encourage you to leave stable jobs, "just to move to Florida". Too many northerners have already made that mistake.

I'm NOT a real estate agent, so I don't have a dog in this fight. My fields are in the financial, legal, enforcement, regulatory, investment and planning sectors.

My advice is to stay put, and be thankful you have jobs. Florida can wait. You're in your "mid-thirties". You'll have more options in your future.

This may not be what you want to hear, but perhaps someone should tell you. Rolling stones gather no moss. Invest in yourselves where you are. Build some security, along with your very young family. Look around again, say in 5 more years. You have plenty of time to consider that you "love the Beach and the Weather". Tell me.....who DOESN'T ?

Contribute to your continued success where you ARE at this time. Stop dreaming about loving the beach and the weather, at THIS young point, your children are far more important.

Stay put, and for now, do come visit.
I hear what you are saying for sure. I wouldn't call our jobs stable tho, I have only had my job a year and the title industry is not doing to well here either. Several other title companies in the area have closed in the last 2 years. If mine would lay off I might be let go, and if so this will be my 3rd layoff in 5 years. The weather here in winter is so bad my husband has been partially laid off since late November since no one really wants work done on their house in the middle of an ice storm. The area I live in is much worse off than pretty much anywhere. It I was to be laid off I would have a hard time finding a job for even $10 an hour. I said I live outside of Pittsburgh but I live to far away to actually work in the city.

We both felt like now is the time to look at leaving while we have the money to do it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 10:15 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,697,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeaemixter View Post
I hear what you are saying for sure. I wouldn't call our jobs stable tho, I have only had my job a year and the title industry is not doing to well here either. Several other title companies in the area have closed in the last 2 years. If mine would lay off I might be let go, and if so this will be my 3rd layoff in 5 years. The weather here in winter is so bad my husband has been partially laid off since late November since no one really wants work done on their house in the middle of an ice storm. The area I live in is much worse off than pretty much anywhere. It I was to be laid off I would have a hard time finding a job for even $10 an hour. I said I live outside of Pittsburgh but I live to far away to actually work in the city.

We both felt like now is the time to look at leaving while we have the money to do it.
That was my thoughts exactly. I've only seen snow twice in my life and that's plenty enough for me. I just couldn't imagine living day after day in frigid conditions. I usually suggest renting if you don't have an exact plan and no I don't have a rental company that would benefit from that advice

Old 02-23-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
That was my thoughts exactly. I've only seen snow twice in my life and that's plenty enough for me. I just couldn't imagine living day after day in frigid conditions. I usually suggest renting if you don't have an exact plan and no I don't have a rental company that would benefit from that advice

Yes I do think we would look at renting first, just to be sure on the area we want to buy in. Right now we actually own 2 houses. 1 is free and clear. We are looking at the options of selling both and or selling one and keeping the other as a rental for income or maybe even renting out both.

We do not plan to jump into this lightly. We have thought about it for several years and are still researching.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:38 AM

2,076 posts, read 2,879,162 times
You asked if there was anything that would surprise you cost wise.

Hubby and I were surprised at the cost of property taxes compared to California. In CA we have prop 13 which limits the increases in property tax so old people wouldn't be force out of their homes as the value of their house increases. Florida has a home owner exemption, but I think it only reduces the taxable value $25,000 per person.

Since Florida doesn't have income tax, they find other ways to get their pound of flesh. Besides property taxes, there are other taxes that are aimed at tourists, like the taxes on rental cars. Mostly you would be able to bypass those, but they are shocking when you come down for a visit to check it out..

The other thing we find high in Florida is insurance. It is house specific, but it is much much higher than in CA. And in some cases, you house must be inspected before they will give you insurance.

Hubby says beer costs are high at the stores.

Gasoline seems cheap to us as does the food cost at happy hours and early bird specials. And best of all there are no parking meters.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:45 AM

4,058 posts, read 6,207,643 times
aeaemixter is offering you some sound advice. Keep in mind that in most employment fields here the pay will be lower than what many make "up north" and you'll find benefits are not always offered or are less than expected. Many companies no longer offer health insurance for employee's family members. Because so many people do move to FL looking for warmer weather and beaches, employers take advantage of the "sunshine factor." A lot of title companies closed shop or laid off people during the real estate bust here that lasted for several years. While this field is recovering as the real estate market rebounds, many of the current title companies are not adding new employees and I know people that are still out of work in that field.

Yes we have beautiful beaches here, both in Manatee and Sarasota counties. Lots of things to do as well in respect to cultural offerings, shopping, outdoor activities, etc. But please do much more research into jobs before moving here, perhaps even find employment here first for one or both of you before uprooting your family. If you do move before finding employment, have a healthy emergency fund of at least 6 months worth of living expenses just in case. And I always suggest renting first if you are not familiar with the area or do not already have employment lined up.

Hope things work out for you, whether you make the move or opt to stay at your current location.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Research areas in the sunbelt that are doing quite well.

Greenville/Spartanburg
Nashville
Austin TX, really booming
Charlotte
Birmingham
north Georgia

At your ages, there are lots of viable, even better cheaper options than Sarasota County, FL
The reason we want to move to Florida is because we love the ocean. Particularly the gulf coast. I'm way more concerned about being by the ocean than I am about making money. I want to be able to make enough to pay all my bills and save but beyond that money doesn't mean that much to me to be honest. We have had a lot of money and we have been poor, neither defined my happiness.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Okay, you "love the Ocean". You're "way more concerned about being by the ocean than about making MONEY" ???? Something tells me, you have to have a long talk with yourself (or a counselor). Really it seems to most that your first priority should be the stability, safety and happiness of your CHILDREN, and caring and saving for them.. Living in Sarasota County "near the gulf/ocean" will do nothing to insure your overall happiness. That's a figment of your imagination, and wishful Pollyannaish thinking. It's your life however. Make the decisions that you wish. I simply would advise you not to move 1500 miles to Sarasota County just to be "by your ocean". That's not wise. Choose carefully. Your responsibility is to your children first and your own desire to "be by the ocean" is not paramount. But, have at it. You shall learn that all that glitters is not gold. Good luck.
Thanks so much for reminding me I need to worry about my kids. Obviously I hadnt forgotten about them. Where I live now is not stable. I said I want to make enough to pay bill and save. Thats not that unusual. Not everyone need more money than they can spend. Im looking for a better happier more quality filled life for my kids.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:59 PM

The first thing I asked about here were about schools and crime. Maybe you should reread the post before you reply. Of course my kids want to be able to go to the beach all the time, what kid doesnt. I really dont see the issue of me doing reaearch on an area of the country i would love to live in to see if its a good fit for my family. So far everything I have read point to it will work out better than where I live now where there are no jobs, nothing for kids to do, very depressing weather and the very depressing outlook on life by almost everyone who lives here. Obviously I dont think we will move to the beach and everything will be perfect but I dont see anything wrong with enjoying life and going after dreams either.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:59 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,834,653 times
To your question about costs:

We have a house in NJ so here is a rough comparison:

NJ - 3000 sq ft 2 story house (temp set to 75 for a/c, 70 for heat)
Electric: $105/mo (mid-Sept to mid-May), $135, $283, $305, $185 (mid-May to mid-Sept)
Natural Gas (cooking, hot water, dryer, heat): average $25/mo (May to Sept), $100, $243, $360, $375, $285, $150 (Nov to Apr)
Property Taxes: $7,000 (lowest rate township in Morris County- most are twice this amount)
Sewer: $210/qtr
Garbage: $82/every other month
Lawn/snow removal: $250/mo
Home insurance: $1200/yr (house built 1981)
Auto: $1700 (2013 Altima, 2009 Accord)
NJ has state income tax (1.4 to 6.37% up to $500K, 8.97 above $500K)

FL- 2425 sq ft 1 story house (temp set to 77 for a/c, 70-74 for heater)
Electric: $65-90/mo (no pool, only A/C)
Gas: none
Property Taxes: $4,000 (non-homestead, includes $796 CDD)
HOA: $459/qtr
Water/Sewer: $65/mo (this is expensive, but balances itself out with our sewer up north)
Garbage: included in taxes
Lawn: $85/mo
Home Insurance:$1240 (house built 2008)
Auto: N/A
No state income tax

We have bug and fertilizer and they run about the same at both houses. Haircut in NJ $50, FL $25. YMCA membership cheaper in Fl. Gas prices a little cheaper in NJ. Food prices about the same. From what I understand, new auto registration in Fl is much higher.

That should help a little to compare costs.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:18 PM

93 posts, read 179,430 times
So, to compare costs with macrodome for you:

2200 sq ft 1 story house (temps set to 78 for A/C and 74 for heat)
acerage monthly bill of $100 month with pool (some months $70-some up to $150+)
Gas: none
Property Taxes: $1900 a year. There is no CDD because we do not live in an HOA We are also on a half an acre lot. We are homestead here, which I suspect you would do as well.
HOA: none
Water/Sewer: only maintanence of water softener, $5 bags of salt 3,4 times a month and if the softener ever needs service.
Garbage: Included in taxes
Lawn: mow ourselves with a self propelled push mower.
Home Owners Insurance:$1500 includes a rider for our pool cage, House built in 2012 we also have an increased amount of contents coverage since we own expensive scuba diving equipment and also my husband has a ton of skydiving equipment that would be a TON of money to replace if the house was destroyed.
Auto Insurance is $600 every 6 months, 2012 Town and Country and 2006 Pontiac GTO <---"high performance car."

We live in the 34286 zip code.

I can totally understand your reasoning to move...you sound just like my husband and I 5 years ago. We never regretted moving here. Our main and only major complaint is the lack of quality healthcare, but then again, our daughter has special needs, so if she didn't, we would not have that complaint. Pediatric specialties is HARD down here to find a doc you really like...since the demographics here is older...it makes sense, but sucks for us at the same time. We are actually moving to central florida asap, as soon as we can sell our home in North Port. We would still only be a nice day trip away from beaches on either coast of Florida. We are scuba divers and one of the reasons we wanted to move to FL is because we were breaking our savings every time we wanted to go diving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>