U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:39 AM

9 posts, read 23,489 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to" semi retire " to Florida. We think a 55 and older community of manufactured homes will suit our budget. ( we don't want a mortgage, so sale of our house after paying off mortgage would fund purchase of Florida home ). My question is where is the best location on the Gulf side that is convenient to the beach but still in an area where there are part time retail type jobs to work at ? We are familiar with the Atlantic side from Titusville to Jupiter but have never been to the Gulf side and wanted some pointers before we investigate . A plus would be 2 hours or less travel time to Orlando's theme parks to entice our kids and grandchildren to visit . We have a friend in Ellenton who highly recommended Tierra Siesta , so we will check that out but it seems pretty far from the beach . I appreciate any advice or recommendations. Thanks .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 12:50 PM

3,979 posts, read 9,894,869 times
Here is a link to the 55+ communities in Florida. 55+ Communities - Housing Directory - Florida Commission on Human Relations

A recommendation of an area would depend on what you are looking for in a community and what your budget is. Do you want gulf access, pool, fitness, golf, clubhouse, etc?

There are land owned mobile home/manufactured home parks and lot rent mobile home parks.
You can search for lot rent mobile home parks on the Mobile Home Village web site:
Mobile Homes For Sale - 27,813 Available to Sell or Rent - 36,901 Communities and Parks

You can search for land owned mobile home parks on the MLS site:
MLS - Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS

Here is a blog I previously wrote about mobile home parks.
There are many mobile home parks scattered across Florida. You need to be aware of the differences. There are land-lease parks which are more economical and there are resident-owned parks for a more permanent home. Land-leased communities often sell out to developers as land becomes more valuable. You still own your home and can move it to a new park if this happens, but the cost of transporting the home can be too much for some and they are forced to sell. Be aware and ask the park about this and what your rights are if the park is sold. You should check your agreement.

Many of the parks are for over age 55 and are so-called Mobile Home Retirement Communities. A manufactured home is called a mobile home when it is built before June 1976. After that date, it is called a manufactured home. Many communities have a mixture of ages.

Why would you want to live in a mobile home park? Most people that choose this style of living enjoy the convenience and the low maintenance around the exterior of the property. No more grass cutting, which is a plus at retirement age. It is an efficient and economical way to live comfortably while staying active. Mobile homes are easy to take care of and provide a comfortable living space. Some have small sun rooms and patios. Another major attraction are group activities at the park’s clubhouse such as social events, card games, bingo, pool, dances, shopping trips, and more. Some of the parks also offer golf, tennis, a swimming pool, golf trails, and bike trails.

Mobile homes come in a variety of sizes and styles. You can get a 2 bedroom or even a 4 bedroom. Many of the newer homes have the same amenities as a single family home such as ceramic tiled floors, stainless steel appliances, granite counters and large great rooms for entertaining. There is something for everyone.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:51 PM

4,186 posts, read 6,405,660 times
There are a number of mobile home parks in the Ellenton area, which is north of Bradenton in Manatee county. Finding mobile home parks near the beach will be difficult as real estate gets pricier as you get closer to the beaches. It is better to find something where you own the lot under your home or the community owns the land under the park and you become a shareholder vs renting the lot. With rental lots you never know when the rates will be increased or whether the owner will sell the land to a developer who wants to build on the land. That happened to my brother-in-law.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:06 PM

16,377 posts, read 21,196,091 times
Sometimes there's not a massive price difference between a manufactured homes versus a non-manufactured home. Just be aware of that when pricing and evaluating property.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:29 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,825,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Sometimes there's not a massive price difference between a manufactured homes versus a non-manufactured home. Just be aware of that when pricing and evaluating property.
Good point! Also be mindful of the insurance differences as well

Old 02-27-2014, 08:05 AM

Thanks everyone. We know we want the MH community where we own our land and all the amenities that it offers. Now my question is , which town should we be looking in . Ellenton ? Sarasota? Venice ? St. Petersburg ?

Old 02-27-2014, 08:10 AM

5,651 posts, read 10,006,752 times
What is your budget? Are you talking about a mobile home or a pre-manufactured/fabricated home?

Last edited by bbronston; 02-27-2014 at 08:20 AM..

Old 02-27-2014, 08:33 AM

budget is pretty low …around 100,00 and either one

Old 02-27-2014, 08:57 AM

5,651 posts, read 10,006,752 times
I looked at the MLS and there are a bunch of them out there on the west side of 41 in both Bradenton and Sarasota. I suggest you use any of the online search sites ( www.MyFloridaHomeMLS.com comes right from our MLS) and do a search. Then see if you see the same agent's name show up frequently in certain communities. I've only been an agent since 2005 but I've never done a MH transaction. I think they are different enough that I'd want someone who has a good degree of experience with them and that is probably as good a way as any of finding one.

I have been in an acquaintance's home in Ellenton that was very nice. It was located in Ridgewood Oaks, I think....very close to Ellenton Factory Shops. It would take about 30 minutes to get to the beach from there but traffic would/could be an issue all along SR 64.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:05 AM

thank you, bbronston…a friend of mine just returned from a trip to Ellenton and she had horror stories about the traffic and accidents and what she called dangerous highways to get out of Ellenton and to the beaches .Do you know of any other towns in that general Sarasota to Venice area that might be less dangerous for driving to the beach ? She might have been exaggerating but she said every time they were out on the road they saw an accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area