U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 12:48 PM

3,649 posts, read 9,059,678 times

Advertisements

My 11 yr. old was accepted at Pine View and I am wondering how your child likes/liked it? I have heard both good and bad about the school - the bad is that the homework is overwhelming.

Thanks for any insight you can give me.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,064 times
My nephew was there a few years ago, not sure if much has changed. The work IS rigorous and challenging, but the teachers are very supportive. It's not for the faint-hearted just playing around young child and that's for sure. If they work hard and also have a little fun, that's what great schools are about. Pine View ranks as one of the best. This is a serious enivironment.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:59 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,868,569 times
We decided not to send our son there based on a few things:

1) The size of the school (we prefer smaller schools)
2) The fact that all ages are thrown in together (I would be concerned about the language coming from a 16 YO's mouth around our 8 YO for example)
3) We wanted him to experience being the "top dog" 5th grader in elementary school; he would miss that @ PV and they are called the "littles" there
4) When I called to schedule a tour, the administration was less than accommodating, and borderline rude

We decided on the full time gifted program at Venice Elementary. The curriculum is exactly the same as Pine View, the teachers are gifted certified and experienced, and it ticked all the boxes, above, that we were looking for. We've been very pleased. Our neighbor has 3 kids, 2 of which are at Pine View, and they are happy there. I don't think the excessive homework is an issue in elementary school, but that is just what I've heard.

I've also heard great things about Fruitville Elementary, which also has a f/t gifted program. Since we're in North Englewood, that drive wasn't an option for us.

We will revisit the PV option for middle and/or high school. But for elementary school, it just didn't seem like a good fit for our son.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:54 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,946,389 times
I have had two kids attend Pive view. My oldest went from fourth grade through graduation. She now attends New College of Florida. It worked out well for her.

My middle fighter attended PV from 2nd-7th grades and now attends Florida Virtual School. Pine View was not the best option for her. My middle girl is gifted and has ADHD. She did not have time to play sports or do things that she loves. She was terrible in math and always getting in trouble for not keeping up. Since PV she has gone on to do bigger and better The Incredible 14-year-old Who Bought a House - YouTube and Teenage Landlord Reality Show Trailer - YouTube things. Take a look:

So my point is that for some kids it works great. For some kids, not so well.

If you want to go the PV route I have lots of info to offer both very good and bad about teachers, the campus, school psychologists and the general PV living

Old 02-25-2014, 10:57 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,028,759 times
It's nice that Sarasota has gifted options... Wish the same was for Manatee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area