Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 02:03 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,086,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC313 View Post
Cardiff,

One more question, why specifically Sarasota as opposed to other Florida towns? (Naples, Ft Myers, Atlantic coast, panhandle..)

RickC313 Have your ever seen the New Yorker's map of the US? It includes the Hudson River, Jersey, a whole lot of nothing except a cactus or two, ant then the Pacific ocean. I ask because I suspect that my mental map of Florida I probably lacking a lot of detail and is distorted. Anyone reading this can feel free to correct the misconceptions I am about to spew.

Hubby used to live in St. Petersburg with his starter wife and he loved it there. I asked him if he were to pick a place in Florida, where would it be. He was in sales and made big sales to Tropicana and Sarasota Memorial and the now dead Sarasota Bank and Trust. He loved going to Sarasota. That was a start.

Starting down the eastern coast, New Symrna is the shark attack capital of the world.
10 Most Dangerous Places for Shark Attacks: Animal Planet

Then I think there is a stretch of coast that is sort of like the boondocks.

Then you get into the cities where the people from the north east spend winters and retire. I have heard the east coast of Florida described as "Jersey with palm trees only worse". It has the northeastern culture.

Traffic north of Miami is supposed to be horrible. I have heard housing is more expensive there. If that is what I wanted I would just stay in LA. Miami is a very crowded international city. Key West is a Jimmy Buffett cliche. Across the south is the everglades and gators.

So now to the west side of Florida starting at the top. The panhandle is referred to as the redneck rivera. It borders Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia.

North of Tampa-St Pete is where the sinkholes swallow your house. Pasco, Pinellas, Hillbrough counties.
Florida's Top 10 Sinkhole-Prone Counties

Tampa/St Pete is a nice metro area, but I have been there done that. Although the homes on the canals are charming. I have heard the area is low and could experience storm surge from both side with limited escape routes. It is probably a good place for a job. But I have had a job and now need a life.

Sarasota has the small town way of life with big city amenities. An the beaches don't make the top 10 for nothing. How many small towns have an opera and lots of live theatre? I like the restaurants although not everyone shares my opinion. The major sports teams are not that far away. The culture is mid western and many of the early movers and shakers were from Chicago. I am a mid western girl.

The realtor joke is "old people live in Sarasota, their parents live in Venice, and their grandparents live in Naples." I was never interested in Naples cause of the age thing, plus Hubby's starter wife lives there. Post 41 of this thead describes Naples in glowing terms.
//www.city-data.com/forum/saras...springs-2.html

Honestly I know nothing about the rest of the Gulf side further south.

Also I looked at hurricane maps. Seem pretty evenly distributed in where they hit land. Yeah Sarasota hasn't had one in forever, but I just figure that means one is due.

So after all the detail, the short answer is I was looking of a small town with culture and things to do, that was not the frequent target of disasters and had a population that was less than ancient. I really like the people in Sarasota. I want to be around people like me and I find them in Sarasota. After a lifetime of diversity, I am in the mood for people who understand references from the past and the history from 1950 - 1990. Not that Sarasota doesn't have diversity. Where else can you find a city that has absorbed the circus culture and has an Amish component.

If the first dress I try on makes me really happy, I bag it and quit shopping and consider myself lucky. That is what happened with Sarasota. It was a good fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 09:14 AM

8 posts, read 15,522 times
Cardiff,

Again, interesting and thorough response. thx

Old 03-06-2014, 09:26 AM

17,462 posts, read 38,864,396 times
I love Cardiff's posts - they remind me of my own! LOL

Cardiff, you made a great choice in Sarasota, IMO. And for the record, St. Pete is my next favorite city in FL, if we ever move that is where we are going!

ETA: We like the restaurants here, too - some people are just too picky! There is something for everyone, and loads of choices.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I love Cardiff's posts - they remind me of my own! LOL

Cardiff, you made a great choice in Sarasota, IMO. And for the record, St. Pete is my next favorite city in FL, if we ever move that is where we are going!

ETA: We like the restaurants here, too - some people are just too picky! There is something for everyone, and loads of choices.
I consider that to be very high praise.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:42 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,404,587 times
Thanks for the breakdown on CA vs. Sarasota, Cardiff. Appreciate your thoughtfulness and candor. Looking forward to following more of your journey on C-D.

Also like the dress analogy. Although I've never worn a dress, I can relate to the idea you're trying to convey. I found Sarasota in much the same way.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:32 PM

547 posts, read 921,463 times
Welcome to your new home!
I enjoyed your SD - Sarasota comparison. I was fortunate to have spent some time working for short periods in SD.At one time I really would have liked to relocate there, but time has changed and for many of the reasons you wrote I now prefer Sarasota. I would like to get back for a visit someday.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picshooter View Post
I would like to get back for a visit someday.
Yes. Let me give you some tourist advice. The best months to go are April and September. October and December are pretty good.

Spring hits in April. As one my mother-in-laws friend's from Chicago described it "there is a flower on every weed". This is mostly true. The freeway overpasses are covered with ice plant that make a carpet of either purple or orange flowers. The CA poppies are in bloom. It is sunny and mild. Being from FL you might find it cool.

May and June are not so great because there is coastal fog, which results the weather being called "gray May" and "June gloom. June gloom some times turns into July gloom. In August, half the population of Phoenix pours in, so it is crowded. Natives call them "zonies". They freeze in the high 70s & low 80s so sweatshirt sales skyrocket.

In September, the winds shift and blow in from the desert. The humidity drops and the smog blows out to sea. (BTW San Diego's smog is created in LA and drifts down). The wind reversal makes the skies stunningly blue and beautiful. The days are warm and the nights are cold. Late September is better than October, because by October the low humidity results in fires in the dry brush. The fires are on the perimeter and most of the time are no big deal, unless you live in the fire zone.

December is kind of nice. The winter rains haven't started. The shrub sized poinsettias are in bloom in yards. The aloe vera have orange flowers on them. There are Christmas activities outside. Whale migrations have started. Tourist attractions aren't crowded. Early Dec is the best time to drive up to Orange county and go to Disneyland.

Jan through March it rains, and the hillsides are green instead of brown. If you think you would miss the rain, then this is a good time to go. But considered yourself warned, the freeways are dangerous because there is a 9 month build up of road oil and a little water turns them into skating rinks. Plus no one knows how to drive in rain.

San Diego is a great place to visit, but ....... (you know the punchline)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area