Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:11 PM

118 posts, read 184,751 times

Advertisements

We are a retired couple from St. Louis thinking about buying a second home in SWF. We rented the month of January in Siesta Key last year and enjoyed the laid back lifestyle and of course the beach. Previously we spent time in Fort Myers beach and visited Naples as well. One of the reasons we went to Siesta Key, and it is probably one of the more unique reasons you have heard, is to be within a 40-minute drive of Ellenton. I play recreational hockey and learned that Ellenton offers hockey for the over 50 set. Anyway, I played 3 days a week and loved it. So now as we think about buying we are concentrating on the Sarasota area. Although we could decide to make FL our permanent residence, my approach would be something we could afford as strictly a vacation home and without relying on rental income. We are contemplating a trip next month to do more fact gathering and to survey neighborhoods. Here is our criteria:
1. within 45 minutes of Ellenton.
2. Within 20 minutes of beach
3. Dog friendly. We have a black lab.
4. Close to shopping and restaurants
5. close to a recreation center. Would forgo a pool to save on expenses but would then want to have a
community pool available.
6. $400-600k budget for 3BR and minimum 2,000 sf
7. low/no maintenance
8. annual expenses (taxes, insurance HOA etc.) of < $20k
9. I am only an occasional golfer so living in a golf community is not important.
10. Gated or not isn’t important.
Bases on the information here it sounds like Palmer Ranch might be a good place to look. Would you agree? Any other neighborhoods or areas we should check out? Can anyone give some insight into real estate taxes, homeowners insurance and other fixed expenses? I understand that taxes are higher if not a Fl resident. Anyway of knowing how much higher? In an area like Palmer Ranch would getting insurance or the cost be a problem? If we did buy what would it take to establish residency? It probably makes sense since we would save not only on Fl taxes but 6% Missouri income tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 02:31 PM

5 posts, read 12,013 times
Esplanade by siesta brand new homes in your price range dog park ect. Located on clark rd 8-10 min. from beach and so close to everything.Worth looking into...palmer ranch area you can not go wrong either.

Cody Young

Old 03-02-2014, 02:55 PM

251 posts, read 409,337 times
Esplanade at Lakewood Ranch would have everything except for the 20 minute distance to the beach. We are currently building a house there.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:31 PM

Esplanade siesta sounds like a great fit. Will definitely check out when I visit. Any word on how sales are going? Do they have any residents at this point?

Old 03-02-2014, 03:49 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
Just food for thought but have you considered reversing your time criteria for Ellenton and the beach? If you plan to go to the beach more than three times a week, I can see it but that might only last a year and become less frequent after that. Ellenton and Parrish have developments where you can get more bang for the buck, you'll have less drive time to the rink but you can reach the beach within 45 minutes. Just food for thought, as I said...

Or, as tzais01 mentioned, Lakewood Ranch is about 30 minutes to the beach and about 15 minutes to get to the rink so it's kind of a happy medium.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:49 PM

When considering a new development does it still make sense to use a realtor? I wouldn't limit my search to new homes and from that standpoint a realtor could help compare and evaluate but would they get paid if I wrote a contract on new? If not then I wouldn't think they would have any interest in including new in the universe.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:00 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
if a realtor brings a customer to a builder they should get a good enough commision

Old 03-02-2014, 04:04 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post
When considering a new development does it still make sense to use a realtor? I wouldn't limit my search to new homes and from that standpoint a realtor could help compare and evaluate but would they get paid if I wrote a contract on new? If not then I wouldn't think they would have any interest in including new in the universe.
With my house, the builder gave me a 1.5% discount for not using a realtor and going to them direct. Whether or not this was common practice, I dont know. Lennar did the same thing on an investment property years ago, too, except they gave 2%.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Just food for thought but have you considered reversing your time criteria for Ellenton and the beach? If you plan to go to the beach more than three times a week, I can see it but that might only last a year and become less frequent after that. Ellenton and Parrish have developments where you can get more bang for the buck, you'll have less drive time to the rink but you can reach the beach within 45 minutes. Just food for thought, as I said...

Or, as tzais01 mentioned, Lakewood Ranch is about 30 minutes to the beach and about 15 minutes to get to the rink so it's kind of a happy medium.
after I posted I had the same thought because even though we stayed on Siesta Key for a month I made the Ellenton trip more times than the beach trip a mile away. I also would like to be closer to the beach for when family and friends visit but again how many times would that really be? Which would be better from a resale or desirability standpoint? Generally, is one area nicer than the other or have better schools which of course impacts value?

Old 03-02-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzais01 View Post
Esplanade at Lakewood Ranch would have everything except for the 20 minute distance to the beach. We are currently building a house there.
What sold you on Lakewood Ranch and did you consider other areas? Do you think you get the same or better value New compared to existing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area