Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 06:25 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times

Advertisements

Easter doesn't even fall untill 04/20 this year so have to agree with all the other posters and put your trip off until May if you don't want to deal with Spring Breakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 11:34 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
May is far and away the best time of year for the beach here. The crowd is gone, the beach is gorgeous, the water is beautiful, the air is clear, there's not much rain.

Other than that, it's awful.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:32 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
May is far and away the best time of year for the beach here. The crowd is gone, the beach is gorgeous, the water is beautiful, the air is clear, there's not much rain.

Other than that, it's awful.
I agree with this.

To the OP, the college age Spring Breakers don't really come to Sarasota. It is mostly families. College age kids want to go where there are bars and they can drink at 18.

While you may see a few in March, it is more of entire extended families.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:29 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I agree with this.

To the OP, the college age Spring Breakers don't really come to Sarasota. It is mostly families. College age kids want to go where there are bars and they can drink at 18.

While you may see a few in March, it is more of entire extended families.

That makes sense. I just couldn't imagine college kids picking Sarasota for a wet and wild week, but hey..I have been surprised before.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:09 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
That makes sense. I just couldn't imagine college kids picking Sarasota for a wet and wild week, but hey..I have been surprised before.
For one thing, it is too expensive when they can go all inclusive for a week in Cancun for $800 and the drinking age there or on a cruise is only 18.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:17 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
Mostly you see school aged kids visiting their grandparents and doing things in the area. Usually mom and dad are with them too.

Contrary to what some folks far away think, all the beaches in FL don't get overrun with rowdy drinking college and HS aged spring breakers. Like you see on MTV. There are only some places where this occurs, and Sarasota isn't one of them.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:42 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
I live near Anna Maria Island and the time around Easter, I don't even try to get to the beach. Spring breakers, families, visitors, whatever, it's one big traffic jam from Bradenton to AMI. I would imagine it's similar in Sarasota.

Quote:

Contrary to what some folks far away think, all the beaches in FL don't get
overrun with rowdy drinking college and HS aged spring breakers. Like you see on
MTV. There are only some places where this occurs, and Sarasota isn't one of
them.
This made me chuckle. My one and only visit to Siesta Key beach was on the Sat. of Mother's Day weekend in May of 2011. There was some enormous party on the beach, it was overrun with college kids, tents, kegs, and even an ice luge for shots.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:35 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I live near Anna Maria Island and the time around Easter, I don't even try to get to the beach. Spring breakers, families, visitors, whatever, it's one big traffic jam from Bradenton to AMI. I would imagine it's similar in Sarasota.

This made me chuckle. My one and only visit to Siesta Key beach was on the Sat. of Mother's Day weekend in May of 2011. There was some enormous party on the beach, it was overrun with college kids, tents, kegs, and even an ice luge for shots.
Honestly, that is an anomaly. While as a local, I don't bother with it during high season, it's still not in the same universe as other resort destinations.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:22 PM

7 posts, read 15,667 times
Exclamation Sarasota-Venice, Florida seasonal/vacation/relocation info

If you are thinking about moving to this area, think twice and then think twice more! The area has become a parking lot and locals are not happy with so many "snowbirds"/transplants anymore. U.S. 41 through Sarasota and Venice is a parking lot. Forget about eating out in the evenings. Local workers are so irritated they are telling out of state residents in person they can leave or go elsewhere. Words being exchanged in parking lots and stores; and, the drivers are irritated on the streets and showing it with their driving. New York cab drivers on steroids here. They are tired of it taking double/triple time to get home after work. Housing is a huge problem for workers. Snowbirds and future retirees are purchasing housing and condos, driving prices higher, and renting up the available rentals that workers need. Things are getting nasty. No violence, yet. However, the natives have had their limit with the 2013/2014 streets packed with out of state plates and drivers who drive like they don't know what they are doing. If you don't already have a place here, suggest you look elsewhere. Rethink any thoughts about this area. It is no longer a paradise for out of state refugees and a bumper sticker that was seen reading, "Open season on snowbirds" no longer sounds funny. This is no longer a fun place to be on the streets.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:24 PM

5 posts, read 5,040 times
Yeah, traffics crazy. What surprises me is the local paper just pushes growth growth growth! 5000 new homes in lakewood Ranch! are you kidding me? Why aren't locals up in arms over this? I have seen this in other places. A Paradise destroyed to benefit a few fat cat developers. They say it creates jobs, but the influx of people eaves the unemployment rate the same. A major no growth movement needs to happen here fast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area