Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 07:26 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times

Advertisements

Was in Home Goods today returning some stuff and needed to get lunch so thought I would get "to go" from Sonny's...walk-in and order something like brisket plate--already cooked, sides already in the cooler...
that couldn't take long...right???
Wrong---20+ min of wait time...could not believe it took that long to get something that has been "made" since this morning before they opened for business...or maybe even before...

While I was waiting there were at least 5 people who either walked out or asked for to-go as well because their orders were not served to them timely and they had to get back to work...

Plus one of their soft-drink machines was not working...

The really tacky thing is that the woman who waited on me never apologized, never offered me a free drink from the dispenser that was working, and let my order sit on the shelf for probably more than 5 min while she was taking another to-go order and there were two women who could have done that or brought my meal out...
and there were two guys who ordered pull pork sandwiches to go after I was there 15 min and were out before I was...

I know this is "season" but is that place normally that slow???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 08:49 PM

252 posts, read 371,120 times
That's too bad. I've eyeballed that place and imagined it to be good. How was the food when you got it?

Old 03-07-2014, 10:59 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Hard to say because I didn't eat until I was home--
so meat and garlic bread were cold--
potato salad was OK--it is mustard base and I prefer mayo
cole saw good
meat was C+ because I asked for sliced and got chopped
it was tender enough--not lot of fat--

We have eaten there before and had a decent meal--
not as great as some BBQ places in TX but good enough that I went back

they also are offering pulled pork which said "new" so guess they added that choice which lot of people in south/east coast feel is only BBQ--they don't care for beef...

just really unforgiveable bad service...

Old 03-08-2014, 11:23 AM

547 posts, read 926,622 times
We like Sonny's. Saying that I have heard nothing good and plenty of bad from that particular Sonny's.

In Venice for BBQ try Gold Rush.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:02 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
That Sonny's is usually very good with sit down service. But their "to go" orders can be slow if you don't call ahead to order. I learned to call ahead for "to go" and my order is ready for me when I get there. It seems when you get "to go", the are trying to fit you in between sit-down customers and the sit-down customers get things first and they only find time for the "to go" customers when the sit-down customers are taken care of.

That Sonny's used to be bad service/cold food/dirty, but approx 3-4 years ago they turned it around and have been excellent(clean, hot food, good service) ever since.

With snowbird season, every place is having issues because so many customers.

Gold Rush BBQ in Venice is only 5 minutes from Sonny's and is excellent...excellent service and excellent food. Gold Rush isn't a chain and the owners are hands on. The place is frequented by locals and has been around at least 10 years. The food is priced well and their BBQ sauce is their own and it's some of the best around. Their food is always excellent. You must try their green beans. They are the best green beans I ever had.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:10 PM

67 posts, read 100,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

Gold Rush BBQ in Venice is only 5 minutes from Sonny's and is excellent...excellent service and excellent food. Gold Rush isn't a chain and the owners are hands on. The place is frequented by locals and has been around at least 10 years. The food is priced well and their BBQ sauce is their own and it's some of the best around. Their food is always excellent. You must try their green beans. They are the best green beans I ever had.
We've been there twice now. Both times service was EXCELLENT

Had the spare ribs the first time and the baby back ribs the second time.

Try the cucumber salad too.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:27 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,477 times
Of course the garlic bread was cold when you got home. Bread doesnt stay hot for an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area