Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:34 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,339 times

Advertisements

Any carriers you would recommend I use or avoid?

Anything you wish you had known before shipping a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 07:08 AM

98 posts, read 291,341 times
If you use a large shipper, it will usually take about a month. They pick your car up at your home or wherever you want them to get it. They will attempt to mark down every little scratch on the car. The car will then go to their local depot where it will sit until they have one of the large shipping trailers full or close to full. They do typically guarantee a maximum delivery time. The car will then eventually arrive at your new location where they will bring the car to you (my cars had been washed before they brought it to me so I gave the gentleman on the delivery end a tip). They will leave it up to you to now inspect the car for damages even though they probably marked every square inch of your car as scratched or damaged prior to you leaving. All in all, it isn't that bad. I don't recall who my company used for shipping my car but they actually shipped two cars a different times and I had not issues. Your car will be subject to all weather conditions and even road debris flying up and hitting while it is on the trailer. They take no responsibility for those type of damages.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:26 AM

252 posts, read 371,167 times
Vintage musclecars were big hobby for me for a couple of decades. I've imported cars from the US (I'm Canadian) and shipped a few to the US and one to Switzerland. Probably not much use to you, but I used TFX International a few times. Based in Toronto, they work throughout the US with nice enclosed transports and may have an empty trailer available. As mentioned, they do a thorough cosmetic inspection and note every speck on your car. If it's just your daily driver-type car I'm sure there's cheaper options, but if the car means something to you, give them a call. They might know of a good carrier in your area as well.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:34 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
Ugh...when I moved here from NY, we had my car shipped on one of those open carrier trailers that you see all the time on the highway. One of the meatheads (I'm being kind here) for some needless reason must have opened the driver window and never closed it again. By the time they delivered it to my work address, the interior was LITERALLY COVERED with diesel soot--top to bottom. The driver knew nothing about it (big surprise) and I had to fight the company to get their insurance to clean it up.
If they have some sort of additional coverage, I'd consider getting it but I'd also look into one of those enclosed trailers. The odds of your having the same problem are tiny but that's the lesson I learned, FWIW.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:10 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Whatever you do - do not use DAS - Dependable Auto Shippers.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:36 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,339 times
Oh wow!!! Or should I say yikes!!!

I live in a densely packed neighborhood of condo buildings. I see cars delivered all the time to new residents. I didn't realize it would take so long or be such a hassle cause all I see is the driver taking it off the carrier.

I have a 90 BMW 535 that only has 115,000 miles on it and meticulously mechanically maintained. I am less worried about the body because it is time to get it repainted and erase the memories of LA from its skin. LA is really hard on cars. Too many drivers--not enough space. You rarely see a car here that doesn't have a little body damage. It is a toss up which has less chance of damaging the car--the hit and run parkers or the convoluted maneuvers required to get into your own assigned below ground parking space.

I drove my car across country when it was a baby of 15 but now that she is an adult of 24, I have fears of her breaking down in the desert or that big empty stretch of Texas. Plus her gas mileage is 17mph and she only drinks the good stuff. That is why I was going to ship.

The month part really shocks me. I figured it would take about the same amount of time as a moving van.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 AM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Whatever you do - do not use DAS - Dependable Auto Shippers.
I've shipped at least 15 cars with them, never had any trouble at all. In fact, that's who I would recommend.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:55 AM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
I have a 90 BMW 535 that only has 115,000 miles on it and meticulously mechanically maintained. I am less worried about the body because it is time to get it repainted and erase the memories of LA from its skin. LA is really hard on cars. Too many drivers--not enough space. You rarely see a car here that doesn't have a little body damage. It is a toss up which has less chance of damaging the car--the hit and run parkers or the convoluted maneuvers required to get into your own assigned below ground parking space.
It'll cost half that cars value to ship it. Sell it. Move on. Maybe give em a discount on stained glass and the car at the same time.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:10 AM

I don't think it would be a month. They dont want their yards cluttered with cars for that long. In my experience, a week would be more like it. The car I sent to Europe was there in 3 weeks, in a container on a ship.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
It'll cost half that cars value to ship it. Sell it. Move on. Maybe give em a discount on stained glass and the car at the same time.
Once again, beninfl makes a good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area