Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Yankee View Post
I suppose many do not like having a CCD,I can understand that but on the other hand,the areas that have CDD's are very well kept up.I walk my dogs late at night and feel very safe. I don't live in LWR but the only reason someone wouldn't touch it,is probably because the couldn't afford it.
Not having money is a drawback and this is only meant in a nice way,not a snobbish way.
Or because we don't need more rules and restrictions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 07:30 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,729,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Yankee View Post
West Bradenton the best?
No way,East is the Best!
Crazy. Listen, West is throw up, but East is even more throw up, you choose West if you must move to Bradenton.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:03 AM

20 posts, read 55,111 times
There are some homes in LWR that have HOA's of $100 a year and no CDD's. They were built in the 90's before the CDD's. A good realtor will disclose not just sell ;-)
Regarding Ft. Myers and living in Bradenton. It is about 1.45 hrs. to drive. Quite a ways away from family! Punta Gorda or Bonita Springs is much closer... Venice, Port Charlotte all have great prices on homes. Downside are CDD's and taxes with impact fees, need to be careful to ask the right questions! Be happy to help. Happy hunting.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:51 PM

5 posts, read 11,135 times
[I live in bradenton moved from NJ . Enjoying life here . No Probs. U can get a decent house now within your price range . Looks like hurricanes from Florid have drifted to other states. quote=gpg;5636]Trying to get closer to family in Ft. Lauderdale. Any thoughts on Bradenton Fl. Looking for a home around $250,000, good schools and low crime. Does this area get hit much by hurricanes?

Any info please.[/quote]

Old 03-25-2008, 02:37 AM

I wouldn't worry about hurricanes in Bradenton.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:57 AM

45 posts, read 144,998 times
Thumbs down Stay away if you can.

My family is saving up their money to leave Bradenton as quick as we can. The crime is horrible. I realize there are worse places you can live. But you only get to live once and Bradenton is not a great place. I never go to the store at night! The education system is a disaster, the communities have gone down hill, and nothing is improving. If you have children, you can never let them out of your sight. I have lived in so many places, and this is far the worst!!! My family counts down everyday until we leave here. I do not think you can get "deals" in the real estate market-it is still over-priced. There are so many houses that were built in the 1980s that are still going for 400,000-WHAT IS THAT ABOUT? Sorry if I offend any body about Bradenton-but it has been my experience that there is a lot of crime, drugs, and a bad education system.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:07 PM

I guess not living with small kids makes it a little different, but I live in the middle of town. No problems. My girlfriend would like us to move into nicer digs...was checking out Woodbury today...but that's just TOO FAR from work for me--I like to walk to work.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:08 PM

45 posts, read 144,998 times
Unhappy Today in the news...

Hmm...I would not move to Woodbury. There is a lot of crime in that part of town and it is getting worst. I would not suggest it so you could walk to work. Be careful! Today in Bradenton, bank was robbed again by 4 people and there was a high speed chase through Bradenton. Currently, one is still armed and running the streets. They tried to carjack 2 people in Palmetto. The bank was robbed in Bradenton, 47th and Cortez! What is that about! This is not a random incident anymore, it is a daily event here in Bradenton.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinflorida View Post
Hmm...I would not move to Woodbury. There is a lot of crime in that part of town and it is getting worst. I would not suggest it so you could walk to work. Be careful! Today in Bradenton, bank was robbed again by 4 people and there was a high speed chase through Bradenton. Currently, one is still armed and running the streets. They tried to carjack 2 people in Palmetto. The bank was robbed in Bradenton, 47th and Cortez! What is that about! This is not a random incident anymore, it is a daily event here in Bradenton.
I was saying Woodbury is too far. I prefer to live here on Cortez, just a few blocks away from work. Takes about ten minutes to walk over there.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:03 PM

83 posts, read 277,506 times
Default Bradenton?? - We'd say yes!

Hi
The below is some of a reply I posted to another question, but I've tried to add a bit to it for you.

You always have to take, with a pinch of salt, the replies from ALL of us who post on forums. Guaranteed there will be those who moan about EVERYTHING (and I always feel there are heaps of them), and you will also find people who see things through rose tinted glasses.

Bradenton, like everywhere else, has its positives and negatives.

POSITIVES
Beautiful area of the country
Great beaches
Close to Sarasota for ballet, opera, theater, city center dining, etc
Fanastic climate
Great people
Relaxed atmosphere
Excellent healthcare providers
General Quality of Life

NEGATIVES
Certain areas of the city are run-down with inner city issues as in any place
The run down areas look run down and so driving say from East Bradenton West through to the beaches can, some of the way, not be attractive viewing
Salaries are not good
Florida, in many ways, is still "redneck" country and certain parts of Bradenton show this.
City attempts to gentrify the center of the city have been SLOW.

Economy in General/Real Estate
The Gulf Coast economy is suffering maybe more than others at the moment due to the previously over inflated house prices. However, this means that there are heaps of property bargains out there. We've bought a house but our realtor told us that the rental market is struggling even more than the house market, as so many investors bought to rent in 2004/5 that they just can't find anyone to rent, let alone cover their investment!
Look for property you want. Don't worry if they are asking higher than you want to pay (even substantially - 100k more or even 150k more). Many of these properties have been on the market for months. Put in silly offers - we did and have found our perfect house. Someone is going to be desperate enough that they will take your offer. This does not mean you will have to be living in a ghetto. Many properties - for example - in Lakewood Ranch - are well built and upmarket and you would probably really love living there.
We are now coming into the slower part of the year for real estate - so you can definitely benefit from being aggressive.
to give you some examples, we were looking at properties for just under 400,000, that 2/3 years ago were selling for double that, in Lakewood Ranch. You will certainly be able to find something just right.

We've been to and from Bradenton for over 10 years now and have done a heap of research before we decided to make the move. I felt a huge amount of indecision and concern from reading many of the comments on the boards - but I've made numerous visits in recent months, and every visit meeting with people living there, other families, schools, waiting staff in restaurants, the mail guys - everyone - has given me a totally positive perspective.

Every place in our modern world isn't going to be perfect - but whilst Bradenton isn't refined like Sarasota - there are very nice parts!
Lakewood Ranch is a new community, purpose built (and good schools).

In terms of hurricanes, my husband and I have lived through 2 big ones in Bermuda, which included houses being lost to the sea, neighbors with half a house left, etc. Bradenton is protected to a certain degree by the islands to the West. There are worse places in a hurricane!

Good luck with whatever you decide. Should you need any info, please don't hesitate to send me a private email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area