U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 09:59 AM
gpg gpg started this thread

10 posts, read 125,875 times

Advertisements

Trying to get closer to family in Ft. Lauderdale. Any thoughts on Bradenton Fl. Looking for a home around $250,000, good schools and low crime. Does this area get hit much by hurricanes?

Any info please.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2006, 06:31 PM

4,948 posts, read 17,669,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpg
Trying to get closer to family in Ft. Lauderdale. Any thoughts on Bradenton Fl. Looking for a home around $250,000, good schools and low crime. Does this area get hit much by hurricanes?

Any info please.
check out a place called lakewood ranch, they had this place on tv the otherday, and I wish I was living there.

judy

Old 11-04-2006, 10:36 AM

20 posts, read 82,538 times
Default nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Oh My gosh! I moved here about 6 years ago with my ex-husband and know I am stuck. The cost of living is high, the expensive "shacks" they call homes can't withstand winds of 30MPH so you better have a good job prospect with a very good salary of at least 75,000+ per year with a family size of no more than 2 persons or you will be stuck also. Unless you are a professional you will not be able to make a good salary and even professionals here don't make as much as most of the states up north. There are some problems with gangs also, and the closer you are to the water the more taxes and insurance you will have to pay. Unless you like to live a live from check to check DO NOT move here. This is a town for Doctors, Lawyers, Plummers, auto mobile mechanics(and any other dishonest trade that really makes money) are the only ones who can trully survive in this overprice, treeless crummy little(and ugly)town.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:41 AM

50 posts, read 106,618 times
As I said, reverse migration is sometimes a good thing.

Bradenton is just ONE city within Manatee County...Manatee County's growth is fabulous.

The Sarasota-Manatee MSA is a super area to live in...it's not however for wannabes....that's why there are 49 other US States.

Culturally speaking, there are few cities/areas its equal.

Do not limit yourself to looking strictly at the City of Bradenton....look all around Manatee County and Sarasota COUNTY (not just the City of Sarasota).....look south to NorthPort which is also in Sarasota County...

There is no question that high taxes and insurance rates are a factor for HOMEOWNERS....but those are factors in NYC, or SanDiego.. FLORIDA is surrounded by WATER....duh....if you don't understand the implications for that then you have not thought the matter through..........perhaps Montana is a better choice, or a dumb area like the delta in Mississippi, or maybe east Texas....

Sometimes you pay for what you get...sometimes you're overcharged.....I'll take my view of the ocean....and of course pay for it.

Nothing is free....nothing is perfect, right?

Make your own tradeoff....I do and did...things are ALWAYS dynamic

Old 01-02-2007, 06:43 PM

Cool hummm!

Maggie

As I've mentioned, I love to travel by car EVERYWHERE so I know what I'm talking about. Of course there are a few cities it's(Bradenton)equal. You can compare it To Altoona, PA or Pikeville, KY. Sarasota is a little bit more advance but Northport(where I have family)is still a backwards town with not a lot to offer, Unless you can consider a beach view 'something to offer'.

That even though I can't afford a house on the beach since I enjoy saving for a rainy day; don't like to pretend I am something that I'm not to impress anyone and then live on campbell soup because I can't afford a decent meal, I also like traveling because is one of my passions.

I can sincerely tell you that I still don't recommend Bradenton or surronding areas to anyone. That Doesn't means that I despise the state of Florida. It is just that I hate being taken like a fool when in reality this state is not worth what it's costing his residents. Unfortunately I will have to remain here for at least 2 more years since being a mother is more important to me than my own needs.

But, it's also true that sometimes you pay for what you get... but personally... I don't like to be overcharged! I am not a MORON! Why should I? Specially when is not worth it! We are not talking about Bermuda, Hawaii or the beautiful islands of the caribbean with their Spanish mansions built to last centuries. We are talking about a flat swamp. A mountainless dam with unexpected sinkholes than can appear anywhere and the bad constructed residences that cannot stand high winds over 30MPH even though they are ridicolously overpriced...
no big deal!

Old 01-02-2007, 08:20 PM

43 posts, read 197,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellereve View Post
This is a town for Doctors, Lawyers, Plummers, auto mobile mechanics(and any other dishonest trade that really makes money)

Nice...this certainly bolsters your credibility to other posters on the board.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:42 PM

4,848 posts, read 13,282,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
check out a place called lakewood ranch, they had this place on tv the otherday, and I wish I was living there.

judy

Lakewood ranch is Bradenton's answer to Palmer Ranch...swamp homes keeping up with swamp homes......it's too disneyfied!

Old 01-03-2007, 03:09 PM

381 posts, read 1,608,642 times
Originally Posted by Bellereve
This is a town for Doctors, Lawyers, Plummers, auto mobile mechanics(and any other dishonest trade that really makes money)

My father is an "auto mobile mechanic" and he brings in a whopping $30,000 per year (approximately). I'm not sure where you're getting your information about who "really makes money," but I guess you haven't been to many privately owned businesses. Any business can operate dishonestly, it's not narrowed down to just those you mentioned.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:22 AM

Arrow Well,

I don't necessarily mean all of them... but most of them are perverted and have no scruples whatsoever... but I repeat... of course, not all of those professions... some have a conscience... but most don't...

Old 02-02-2007, 11:27 AM

16,299 posts, read 35,003,379 times
Default Why Bradenton

I just wanted to ask the OP why Bradenton? When you are looking to be closer to family in Ft. Lauderdale. Is there something about Bradenton that intrigues you, or is it just the starting point of your search?

I guess it would depend on what you want out of a town. It's OK, for a coastal town - it's not as overbuilt as Sarasota and others have become - still a little more laid-back and sleepy. But I understand there is still a strong element of crime there, probably more downtown and east. Closer you are to the water, less problems you will have, but MUCH more expensive. This area has shot up in appreciation about 35-40% in the last few years, and yes, quite a bit is overpriced, IMO. But it's all relative to where you come from.

Expect to see a lot of retirees all year, and gridlock traffic during the "season" of Jan - March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area