Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 05:59 PM

20 posts, read 26,009 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am going to be in Sarasota (Lido Key, to be exact) for a work-related vacation and then extending my stay for a couple nights with my girlfriend.

We are looking into restaurants for the nights we are on our own, and would like some suggestions. We don't have many limitations as far as cuisine, but we are hoping to find something more upscale that has outdoor seating, preferably on the beach or with a nice view. Any suggestions?

I would also like any other suggestion you may have that aren't necessarily on the beach, or outdoor seating. If there any "must-go" places, I would love to hear.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 06:19 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Well, if I could pick one person to answer this question it would be Rushmore. He's our resident foodie.

I'll give it a shot though.

The Columbia Restaurant:
Columbia Restaurant - Sarasota, Florida Location

Bijou Café:
The Bijou Cafe

Ophelia's:
Ophelia's On The Bay

Inkanto:
Inkanto Authentic Peruvian Cuisine | Sarasota Foodies

Selva Grill:
Selva Grill - Nuevo Latino - Downtown Sarasota

The Cottage:
CottageSiestaKey.com | Welcome to The Cottage

Old 03-26-2014, 06:30 PM

20 posts, read 26,009 times
SoFLGal.. Thank you very much for the suggestions. Some of those look great!

Old 03-26-2014, 06:34 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp0705 View Post
SoFLGal.. Thank you very much for the suggestions. Some of those look great!
You're welcome! I'd wait for Rushmore though to give his seal of approval. He should be on in the next day or so. I'm sure he'll be able to come up with more ideas and maybe some better ones.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:32 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
On Lido:

Shore
Columbia
Tommy Bahama

On Siesta:

The Cottage
BlueQ
The Hub
Café Blasé

Mainland:

Walts
Barnacle Bills

Old 03-27-2014, 01:56 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
OK, I will give it a whirl.

First, try to forget the idea of having really good food "on the beach" or really even with any sort of Gulf view.

That said, there is some reasonable dining.

On St. Armand's (near Lido):

The Columbia is very good (not fine dining, but pretty darned good).

The Crab and Fin is a nice spot. The seafood tower is top-notch.

Cafe L'Europe is very good, and at least aspires to fine dining.

I consider The Table (on Phillipi Creek), Bijou Cafe (downtown) and Pomona (Gillespie Park) to be some of the best restaurants in Sarasota. None will break the bank, and they're all places you will want to dress to go.

There is GREAT sushi in Gulf Gate at Vizen. Don't wear shorts and flip flops, or they will bounce you out.

If you are in town on a Sunday, Ophelia's does a nice brunch, and you can have it outside on the water (intercoastal, but nice).

Lido Beach Resort also does a nice brunch with a great view.

Enjoy!

Old 03-27-2014, 04:22 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,587 times
there is clearly demand for fine dinning on the beach or with a view. I find it puzzling that it doesn't exist. It seems like some crappy restaurant with a fab gulf view location would have failed in the financial meltdown and been acquired by an upscale restauranteur. Or why doesn't someone put one of the top of some building downtown? People are crying for it. Why has no one stepped up and provided it?

Old 03-27-2014, 08:02 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
OK, I will give it a whirl.

First, try to forget the idea of having really good food "on the beach" or really even with any sort of Gulf view.

That said, there is some reasonable dining.

Cafe L'Europe is very good, and at least aspires to fine dining.

There is GREAT sushi in Gulf Gate at Vizen. Don't wear shorts and flip flops, or they will bounce you out!
And I've been bounced out of Vizen before! Literally they told us to leave so don't go in your shorts and flip flops. I always forget how good Café L'Europa is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
there is clearly demand for fine dinning on the beach or with a view. I find it puzzling that it doesn't exist. It seems like some crappy restaurant with a fab gulf view location would have failed in the financial meltdown and been acquired by an upscale restauranteur. Or why doesn't someone put one of the top of some building downtown? People are crying for it. Why has no one stepped up and provided it?
Cardiff, have you priced oceanfront property before? Oceanfront property is so expensive in SWF that there is no chance of opening anything. Anything that is on the oceanfront has been there for many, many years. Anything that has gone out of business gets sold for face value. A property owner isn't going to rent out a building for $10,000 a month when they can sell it for several million. My husband's restaurant on St. Armands paid $22,000 a month in rent and that is several blocks from the beach.

Again, the above is for oceanfront specifically, not bayside or bay front. Ceviche had an excellent rooftop bar downtown and the owners didn't renew the lease. It is something else now.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:42 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

Cardiff, have you priced oceanfront property before? Oceanfront property is so expensive in SWF that there is no chance of opening anything. .
Why yes I have. I sold a piece of oceanfront property in San Diego (near Del Mar race track) in the past year. We bought it in 1990. We couldn't afford our own property at the time we sold it.

And I accompanied my BFF last September in a search for affordable oceanfront/bayfront in Sarasota. Her CA oceanfront house is in escrow now.

So I would say after 17 years of coastal living, I am pretty familiar with the cost of oceanfront property, both residential and commercial.

There were 3 oceanfront restaurants the house we sold. A Chart House and a couple of non chain restaurnts are in a row about a mile from us. One went out of business, one barely made it, and who knows what the deal was with the Chart house (deep pockets). Meanwhile a health food restaurant opened across the street. Their second floor deck has fabulous views at probably half the price.

I just find it hard to believe that there was nothing like those restaurants that went into foreclosure in 2008-2009. Hubby and I bought foreclosures at 40% of peak during that period. I find it hard that there was not a single desirable location for sale by a bank back then.

I know that there is nothing like that available now. I used to regularly peruse the mfcre for Sarasota (commerical mls). Summer 2012 there were still waterfront parcels and buildings to be had. Not now. The time for a restauranteur to make a land grab is when the blood is in the streets. Now it is too late.

Edit: Sore bet boy: I know the difference between oceanfront and gulf front. :-)

Old 03-27-2014, 11:12 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,346,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Cardiff, have you priced oceanfront property before? Oceanfront property is so expensive in SWF that there is no chance of opening anything.
I agree! Oceanfront property is VERY expensive here in Southwest Florida. There's so much demand for it, and strikingly, NONE to be had!

Gulf of Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Atlantic Ocean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area