Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:21 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esalazarizep View Post
I recently bought my first home and have to take the old fence down and will be installing a new fence in the near future. The problem being is the back neighbors fence is about a 1 foot onto my property. I had a survey done and the markers are there still. When I started taking the rotten fence down my neighbor introduced herself and told me to NOT tear down my fence as it would cause her to fall down????? The fence company attached her fence to my fence posts as well as added more 2x4 pieces to make my fence lean more into my property and now expects me to leave the rotten wood up. I pointed out that her fence was on my property and she said No that she had a survey and a plan for her fence. Okay, fine I left it at that for right now and then went and looked up permits for said fence and there was NEVER any permits pulled for that fence so how could this company put this fence up. I understand that the house that I purchased was empty for 2 years so she felt that she had a right to use it but still. Do I have a right to take my rotten posts down because they look terrible! The other neighbors I have zero issues with.
Sorry about your problem but the reality of your situation is that you are asking for legal advice from a bunch of strangers on the Internet. Talk with a real estate attorney and get some advice worth receiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 06:18 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Too true--tried to rep you and CD slapped it down...

Old 06-12-2015, 07:19 AM

72 posts, read 139,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Sorry about your problem but the reality of your situation is that you are asking for legal advice from a bunch of strangers on the Internet. Talk with a real estate attorney and get some advice worth receiving.
I'm not that strange.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:25 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headacher View Post
I'm not that strange.
Sometimes, even your closest friends and family won't tell you... so....

Old 06-12-2015, 10:01 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,205 times
be aware of utility easements. Sometimes utilities have the right to go on your property to maintain or upgrade their equipment (wiring, etc.) and if there is a fence in the way they can "bypass" it.
Also, if your fence can only be 4 feet high, you can plant vegetation that will grow taller than that on your side.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 11,300 times
Sorry. If I take my fence down it would cause her fence to fall down.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:10 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,110 times
If her fence is attached to your fence, on your property, with no posts holding up her fence, it sounds like it's all your fence. Tear it all down and put up a nice new one.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:51 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
Whatever you decide to do make sure to take plenty of photographs of both sides so if this goes further you can show the condition of your fence and posts and the fact that hers was nailed to your posts. You don't want her claiming after it's down that you took her posts away or something similar that you can't prove.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:51 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esalazarizep View Post
I recently bought my first home and have to take the old fence down and will be installing a new fence in the near future. The problem being is the back neighbors fence is about a 1 foot onto my property. I had a survey done and the markers are there still. When I started taking the rotten fence down my neighbor introduced herself and told me to NOT tear down my fence as it would cause her to fall down????? The fence company attached her fence to my fence posts as well as added more 2x4 pieces to make my fence lean more into my property and now expects me to leave the rotten wood up. I pointed out that her fence was on my property and she said No that she had a survey and a plan for her fence. Okay, fine I left it at that for right now and then went and looked up permits for said fence and there was NEVER any permits pulled for that fence so how could this company put this fence up. I understand that the house that I purchased was empty for 2 years so she felt that she had a right to use it but still. Do I have a right to take my rotten posts down because they look terrible! The other neighbors I have zero issues with.
If it is your fence, you can do what you need to. Her fence is on your property....get her to remove it. Besides, when you get your fence up, she won't need the rotten fencing in the back of the property.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,683 times
my neighbor is putting a fence between our homes how much away from property line should it be installed on their property here in charlotte county ? does a survey need to be done to reaurrance correct property line ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area