U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2007, 10:06 PM

18 posts, read 50,961 times

Advertisements

Hi - after almost one year of research we are finally moving to Sarasota in Jan.! We are looking at Sarasota Suncoast Academy for our daughter - does anyone have any input about this school? Also, we are looking for a place to rent that wouldn't be too far to drive to the school (it is on Hawkins - close to Clark and Proctor). We would like a family friendly neighborhood with a community pool. Is this a good/safe area? Thanks so much for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 10:09 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,220,615 times
Welcome to Fla!

Old 12-09-2007, 09:51 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,337,148 times
Not sure if you are talking about Suncoast School for Innovate Studies? If so, the last recorded grade for that school was a "B" it generally goes between a B & C.

I have two children in the Sarasota County School System and both of my children go to Pine View, which is a public school located in Osprey. It is a very good school and has received all A's for the past twenty five years. I am pretty familiar with the school system in Sarasota county and can answer most of your questions if you would like to DM me

Shannon

Old 12-09-2007, 10:53 AM

7 posts, read 49,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaS View Post
Hi - after almost one year of research we are finally moving to Sarasota in Jan.! We are looking at Sarasota Suncoast Academy for our daughter - does anyone have any input about this school? Also, we are looking for a place to rent that wouldn't be too far to drive to the school (it is on Hawkins - close to Clark and Proctor). We would like a family friendly neighborhood with a community pool. Is this a good/safe area? Thanks so much for your help!
I'm in a similar postion. I have family down there and I heard from them and many others that Heritage Harbour is the best place to live in Sarasota. Good luck.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:28 PM

5 posts, read 18,358 times
Hi AmandaS, I'm also considering Sarasota and have two kids who will be in school, so I'm curious what research made you pick Sarasota. Pine View seems (from their web site) to be a school for gifted children who are "invited" to attend, so I'm not surprised they have higher results than the general schools (if that is right). How old is your child? Where are you moving from?

--m

Old 12-09-2007, 05:56 PM

7 posts, read 17,235 times
My son is in the 4th grade at Suncoast Academy. This is his first year there. So far it's been very good. Be aware that they have a requirement that each family volunteer 20 hours per school year and they are very strict about this (however, eating lunch with your child counts for 30 minutes of volunteer time every time you do it!). This is NOT the Suncoast School for Innovative Studies. That is a different school.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:51 PM

18 posts, read 50,961 times
Thanks for your replies - I will look at Hertiage Harbour. To answer a few questions my daughter is 5 and we are from IL. I am looking at Sarasota Suncoast Academy (not S.S. for Innovative Studies) so it is good to hear from a parent who is happy with the school. I like the idea of all families volunteering! As far as the research we have done, we have been visiting the general area for the past eight years (we have stayed on AMI) and just love it. After reading lots of negative stuff about FL (actually on this site) we decided to look at other states. We visited NC, TN, and SC all during the past year. Nothing really felt right to us so we decided to start looking again at FL. I have focused on the area from N. Tampa to Sarasota and we are pretty sure that Sarasota is the right choice for us. It's a big move with our families all here but we are going to try it - right now it's 22 degrees, we have about 2 feet of snow and there is more on the way. We won't miss this! Thanks again!

Old 12-10-2007, 12:14 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,337,148 times
Looks like most people really like Sarasota Suncoast Academy-
Parent Reviews of Sarasota Suncoast Academy - Sarasota, Florida - FL

Old 12-10-2007, 02:16 PM

5 posts, read 18,358 times
I should explain: I find your research so interesting because I am researching the same move myself. Well actually I will be returning: I was born in Tampa, and lived on AMI and Bradenton until I was 8. Then we moved to New York and I've always wanted to move back. I'm 40 now and living in the UK (long story) but we recently vacationed in AMI and now I've got it into my head that maybe I should go back. It's changed a lot, but I'm encouraged that you've found Sarasota to be promising. I'll have a 12 and 7 year old so schools are also a huge priority.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:00 PM

127 posts, read 717,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaS View Post
Thanks for your replies - I will look at Hertiage Harbour. To answer a few questions my daughter is 5 and we are from IL. I am looking at Sarasota Suncoast Academy (not S.S. for Innovative Studies) so it is good to hear from a parent who is happy with the school. I like the idea of all families volunteering! As far as the research we have done, we have been visiting the general area for the past eight years (we have stayed on AMI) and just love it. After reading lots of negative stuff about FL (actually on this site) we decided to look at other states. We visited NC, TN, and SC all during the past year. Nothing really felt right to us so we decided to start looking again at FL. I have focused on the area from N. Tampa to Sarasota and we are pretty sure that Sarasota is the right choice for us. It's a big move with our families all here but we are going to try it - right now it's 22 degrees, we have about 2 feet of snow and there is more on the way. We won't miss this! Thanks again!
I remember reading something about the Open Door or Out of Doors being a great private school. Not sure if that's the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area