Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 06:46 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,341,564 times

Advertisements

You cant work at Hertz, unless you take the bus to Hertz, since you dont have a car. Or maybe they'd cut you an employee discount!

Seriously though, get your **** together and then consider relocating. Sarasota is not a walking town, nor a town to start in when your broke AND pregnant. Unless your job pays at least $15/hr, stay where you are. And that's if both of you work.

PS -- Cardiff, <3 the video. My wife saw it last week and when I ask her what the weather will be the next day she always says "FLORIDA IS WARM AND SUNNY". lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 06:57 PM

509 posts, read 905,373 times
You have hesitation, your woman is hesitant about it, you've been advised by a few here not to move,... I'd say it's probably not a good idea.
Nothing about your post says to me, this move would be a good one for these people.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:18 PM

26 posts, read 41,844 times
I am very grateful to everyone that is contributing! The job is not at Hertz, it is a skilled labor science related field. sware2cod I agree 100% that my girlfriend and the baby's health is the most important thing. (BTW, marriage is a great idea but not something that she wants right now, I have full health care as a carry over from my occupation before college and it is very stressful that I cannot cover her or the baby with it). Cardiff by the Sea, the video was humorous as well as enlightening. Although I am not personally giving up a job, moving for the weather etc I do see the point of the video. I agree that Sarasota is as good a place as any if the pay will be low irrespective of where I get the job. Florida was the first place to contact me back out of all the places I had contacted. I got a response back from a similar job in Nevada as well this morning but my girlfriend grew up there and does not want to go back there to raise her child unless there is no other option at all. 30k a year is not my goal. My goal is to wake up everyday and go to a job I love so I can proudly come home to my healthy child. If I got the same position offered to me at minimum wage here in Oregon I would take it in a heartbeat with no questions. Some people think it was a mistake for me to choose the major I did. I have been told that I should have accepted med-school or at least have done accounting and just had my passion as a hobby on the side. Those same people are the ones who in my youth told me "be the best at whatever you love and the money will follow". I will tell my girlfriend how difficult it will be and I will ask her to consider all other options with me. I wish I did not have a time limit to accept this job, she has even told me she would happily move anywhere with me as a family after the baby is here. I will ask the company if it is possible for me to accept the position but not relocate until the end of the year. It is extremely unlikely that they will agree but at the same time it was an unlikely fortune that they chose me over dozens of other qualified applicants in the first place. We will see where the road leads...

Old 04-21-2014, 07:47 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,096,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernsaga007 View Post
I agree 100% that my girlfriend and the baby's health is the most important thing. (BTW, marriage is a great idea but not something that she wants right now, I have full health care as a carry over from my occupation before college and it is very stressful that I cannot cover her or the baby with it). .
Please give your girlfriend a message from me. She is being selfish not to get married. It is in your child's best interest to be born into a family composed of a married couple and to have health insurance. Whatever is holding her back, she needs to get over it. If she wanted to remain single, she should not have gotten pregnant.

There are three things people can do to avoid a life of poverty. The big one is to get married before having children. The link below is from a conservative website but this was in all the newspapers last year. This site you don't have to register to read. Have her read this and then the two of you need to have a serious discussion. It is not like it is only her child and not yours too.

Marriage Shows the Way Out of Poverty

Old 04-21-2014, 07:54 PM

29 posts, read 50,765 times
I think everyone has given you some good, honest advice. While I do not live in Florida, I think you would hear similar advice where ever you wanted to move to. As other posters have commented, not knowing what you do or this dream job is, it is probably limiting the help people on this blog can give you. Maybe your parents have some advice too. I know what I would tell my kids. "Do not move without a job, minimum 6 months cash cushion, visit/know the area and finally, wait until after the baby is born and you are settled."

Also, I visit my kids in Seattle a couple times a year and I believe you could find a job there. I also lived there 25 years and did quite well. I saw many years, when people from Portland would move or travel to Seattle for work but I never saw the reverse. You might consider that as an option. Yes, Seattle is expensive to live in, but the wages are higher too and the economy is doing very good.

Beninfl took some words out of my mouth. Get your life together, find your direction and just do something. Get a job, any job. The longer you are not working, the more difficult this will be and does not look good to any future employers. I would rather write on my resume 'worked at TACO Bell' for 6 months, rather than have nothing to write. You are a young guy, seem to have a good attitude and you should be able to find some work. Just my opinion.

Finally, I can only tell you from my personal experience and probably others here will agree........life after having a baby will only get more expensive and be more difficult! Now is the time to sort things out ASAP.

Best of luck and hope things work out for you and your family. Tchau.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:04 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,096,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlor Pig View Post
You put your dreams on hold when you knocked up your girlfriend. You need to get a $20.00-an-hour job with medical insurance where you are now.

Did you read the whole thread? The original poster has been applying for any and all jobs. And he has health care. His GF won't marry him & let him cover her and the baby.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:34 AM

153 posts, read 191,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
Did you read the whole thread? The original poster has been applying for any and all jobs. And he has health care. His GF won't marry him & let him cover her and the baby.
Did YOU read the whole thread?

"If she would not be able to get health insurance quickly then I would be relocating alone and flying back and forth until after the baby is born because she just got full coverage from work in Portland recently."

So we can gather she's working now with insurance, he's unemployed and applying all across the country for a minimum wage job and considering moving a pregant girlfriend for it. And you're callous enough to ask him to send a message from you to her, a stranger on a message board, that she's "selfish" ?

Quote:
If she wanted to remain single, she should not have gotten pregnant.
Biting my tongue on that one.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:16 AM

126 posts, read 156,073 times
anyone else just dying to know what the job is? tell us tell us. I am guessing something like environmental studies. I am not getting why you would need a college degree to get minimum wage though.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:23 AM

29 posts, read 50,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neildiamond11790 View Post
anyone else just dying to know what the job is? tell us tell us. I am guessing something like environmental studies. I am not getting why you would need a college degree to get minimum wage though.
Could be. I never understand why people go to school for a minimum/low wage job. I understand you need to have passion or like your work, but you also need to make a living. My niece has a Masters degree in physiology and she works as a social worker for a little above minimum wages. While the job is very important and needed today, she would have to work 20 years to pay for the costs my sister spent at a University.

I just don't understand this either.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:46 AM

126 posts, read 156,073 times
Quote:
Please give your girlfriend a message from me. She is being selfish not to get married. It is in your child's best interest to be born into a family composed of a married couple and to have health insurance. Whatever is holding her back, she needs to get over it. If she wanted to remain single, she should not have gotten pregnant.

There are three things people can do to avoid a life of poverty. The big one is to get married before having children. The link below is from a conservative website but this was in all the newspapers last year. This site you don't have to register to read. Have her read this and then the two of you need to have a serious discussion. It is not like it is only her child and not yours too.

Marriage Shows the Way Out of Poverty
As one recently going through a very difficult marital situation (with 2 small children), while I can understand Cardiff's point of view, marriage is not something to jump into even for financial reasons. I really have a hard time believing there is no work where this person lives or within a short commute, I am not saying I don't believe you but unless you live in a tiny town there has to be something. No restaurants to bus tables? no warehouses to do stocking? How is that possible within a short distance to a city? Stop sending resumes and and start making requests, go to these places, call them and ask for an interview.

I sent tons of resumes years ago and got not a hit on one. I changed my tactic, would apply and then call the hiring company requesting an interview, or better go knocking on doors. Its so easy these days to send 100 resumes online and get nothing. Get noticed, people have a harder time rejecting your resume with a voice or better a person standing in front of them. It shows initiative.

Check with your state for health insurance. Many states have low cost health insurance for kids, sometimes free. When my wife was out of work, I got both kids insurance through the state for $9/ month each. No deductible, everything coverered.

You have options, you just need to hunt them down. Go to state benefits offices, apply for everything under the sun. The different governments have some amazing things, but they are not advertised.

http://www.oregon.gov/oha/healthplan...its/schip.aspx

You want more ideas? Ever play golf? Ever do manual labor? Have any private golf courses in your area? Call them, ask if they take caddies, show up damn early on the weekends, get in line, get paid cash, be home by 1pm on the weekend. Look up the rules of golf, google proper caddie etiquette. Easy way to make a few extra hundred a month in the warmer months.

Get creative.

Last edited by neildiamond11790; 04-22-2014 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: adding link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area