Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:58 PM

6 posts, read 11,659 times

Advertisements

I know Palmer Ranch had a pinhole leak problem a few years ago. Has that been resolved? Should I worry about that in a condo villa I buy?

Have there been Chinese drywall issues in Palmer Ranch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 10:20 PM

4,613 posts, read 7,532,666 times
Sarasota county has a website that covers the specific topic of pinhole leaks:
http://www.co.sarasota.fl.us/EnvironmentalServices/Water/Utilities/PinholeLeaks.asp

Most of the problems with pinhole leaks in our area seems to be concentrated in the south Sarasota (Palmer Ranch) and Venice area, although they have been found in other parts of the county as well. The local newspaper, the Sarasota Herald-Tribune, has published several articles on the topic over the years. Here's one:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20060514/NEWS/605140336

That's why, if you look at MLS listings in the Palmer Ranch area, you'll frequently see something in the remarks that the home has been replumbed.

The pinhole leaks situation is not something that will "go away" unless the owner has had the home replumbed so copper pipes are no longer in use. On condos I think it would depend on the type of pipes used and whether the pipes come in contact with the soil. With villas, pinhole leaks would be a possibility. The association's property manager should be able to answer specific questions you have about pinhole leaks.

As to Chinese drywall (as it is known), there were a few builders in our area that had issues with the defective drywall, none of those properties are located in Palmer Ranch. However, if remodeling was done between 2004 and 2008 that involved the hanging of new drywall, you may want to include a Chinese Drywall Addendum to any purchase offers and consider having a test done for Chinese drywall if there's any question that the home/condo may have tainted drywall. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:30 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,738,350 times
I'll just add that you should have a professional home inspection with any home purchase (with new construction it is less often done) and home inspectors are trained to look for tell-tale signs of tainted Chinese drywall. Not all Chinese drywall was bad, and telltale signs include corroded (blackened) copper wire, A/C coils, and edges of mirrors, or possibly a rotten egg smell in more extreme cases. However, sometimes pipes smell that way, too, so that is not a reliable sign. None of these is a substitute for actually taking a sample and having it tested at a lab but those tests are expensive and very hit or miss if there are only a few bad wallboards, as in the case of a repair or remodel.

Last edited by bbronston; 04-24-2014 at 07:48 AM..

Old 04-24-2014, 07:24 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,746 times
Thousands of dollars later, I can attest to the fact that the pinhole leak problem in Palmer Ranch (The Hamptons) is very real.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:22 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,546,075 times
There are many communities in Sarasota County and Venice that have pinhole leaks. If they haven't happened, they could happen, depending on type of plumbing in the home. I have heard of them happening even with a 2 year old home in Venice. Some owners have had the plumbing replaced, others have not. If you are looking and are concerned, get a home inspection and maybe buy a home that has already had it replaced.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
There are many communities in Sarasota County and Venice that have pinhole leaks. If they haven't happened, they could happen, depending on type of plumbing in the home. I have heard of them happening even with a 2 year old home in Venice. Some owners have had the plumbing replaced, others have not. If you are looking and are concerned, get a home inspection and maybe buy a home that has already had it replaced.
No buyer with an agent worth any fee whatsoever is not going to be talking pinhole leaks with sellers in PR.

If they do not, the agent should be, uh, defrocked.

Or whatever.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:49 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,738,350 times
^^^We do answer to a higher power but, in this case, it's FREC. Guess it beats being burned at the stake....

Old 04-24-2014, 04:23 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,546,075 times
Most agents that list a home in a community that has had pinhole leaks will ask the seller to sign a pinhole leak disclosure. But you have to keep in mind that some of the homes are bank foreclosures and there are no disclosures from banks. So you have to do your own due diligence.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:29 AM

8 posts, read 11,372 times
Hi Rushmore,
We are new to The Hamptons, just purchased a home here. Could you tell me what I should be looking for to see if there is a pinhole problem in our home. Do you know how many homes here have had a problem and any recommendation on who to use if we repipe the house.
Thank you

Old 05-08-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach-life View Post
Hi Rushmore,
We are new to The Hamptons, just purchased a home here. Could you tell me what I should be looking for to see if there is a pinhole problem in our home. Do you know how many homes here have had a problem and any recommendation on who to use if we repipe the house.
Thank you
I cannot recall the name of the company we used, but will look into it.

You'll know when you have a leak. In our case, we had water in the garage (fixed it), then water in the side yard (hmmmm...), then the bathroom floor was warm to the touch (yikes), then...time to bite the bullet.

It's not just the Hamptons. It's Palmer Ranch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area