Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 05:55 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,104,969 times

Advertisements

Gulf Breeze is currently flooded.

U.S. Gulf Coast hit by flooding after 24 hours non-stop rain | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 06:47 AM

159 posts, read 321,978 times
I just spoke with a women who owns a condo on Siesta Key Beach...said humidity issues are awful. She replaces everything metal constantly! Fabrics as well take on musty odor in short order. We live 20 minutes away and experience some moisture problems but certainly not to that extent. I love the beach...don't get me wrong....but would not want those kinds of maintenance issues. Not that hard to get to one of the many beaches here in Sarasota! Just food for thought.....

Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by let it go View Post
I just spoke with a women who owns a condo on Siesta Key Beach...said humidity issues are awful. She replaces everything metal constantly! Fabrics as well take on musty odor in short order. We live 20 minutes away and experience some moisture problems but certainly not to that extent. I love the beach...don't get me wrong....but would not want those kinds of maintenance issues. Not that hard to get to one of the many beaches here in Sarasota! Just food for thought.....
If you don't use your A/C & humidistat properly you experience the above

Old 05-01-2014, 08:06 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by let it go View Post
Not only that, but the salty air is destructive. The combination of humidity and salty air can really take a toll on things. Back when I was looking to buy a piano, I checked out one on St. Armand's on the water and that thing was literally toast - all the metal strings rusted out, it was a crying shame.

That said, my little house is 2-3 blocks from the bay and I have no issues, even leaving windows open half the year. But I don't have a lot of trees overhanging either, house gets plenty of sun.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:37 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,104,969 times
letitgo

Interesting points. It puts the musty smell in some places in perspective.

gypsychic

Ohhhh that poor piano. Have you ever read the book "love on 3 legs". awesome book. It is about someones search for the right piano in paris. It made me think of a piano as an entity with a soul.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:49 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
My SIL bought a 1/1 condo on Venice Island just across Esplanade from the Gulf--about a block up from Venice Beach--not a dog friendly beach there--
His lanai faced the Gulf and they used to keep the jalousie windows open most of the time when they lived in the condo--
yes it was humid at times but they liked the breeze
they never complained about problems with the television or other appliances being corroded by the salt air
parked two cars on the open/uncovered parking area there for more than 4 yrs and didn't complain about rust

I know those can be problems because I have spent time on the Gulf Coast of TX which has similar issues
I guess it just depends on your tolerance for that aspect/trade-off of being close to the Gulf...

Now their home (and ours ) is about a mi as the gull flies from Casey Key/Gulf--
that is really pretty close but we don't get the same breeze there that the condo got...

PS -- re the musty issue--
we leave our AC set at 75 when we are in TX and I use those bags made of paper w/some kind of crystals (?) that you hang in the closet to wick up moisture in closets--keeping the doors open to the bedrooms--
they help a lot...
sometimes our daughter will go over and run the fans for a day or so

I don't think our HVAC has a humidistat--
maybe that is something to consider if they can be added fairly easily
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area