Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 05:52 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,346,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Are you familiar with www.houzz.com? Lot's and lot's of decorating/design ideas...like walking into hundreds of models. Maybe you'll find a combo idea you like in there?

Is It a Shed? An Office? Neither — It’s a ‘Shoffice’!

Oh dear!

Quote:
Well, if it doesn't work....it was Ben's idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 06:36 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
I might use the colors on Houzz or any website as a jumping off point but I would suggest that before you choose any color as a final answer make sure you get samples painted on large cardboard sections and put them up in rooms after walls are up and you can see how the colors work in the lights...

There is SO MUCH difference even in small paint sections on walls where there are some big variables--like the light changes in rooms based on their direction, the other unchanging colors like flooring and countertops
I assume you will have most furniture picked after the walls are painted but if you are choosing furniture pieces before you have walls up and painted then check how those colors looks with sample boards...

I usually get the "science foldouts" and can cut it into each of the 3 sections for paint samples...

The colors in the FL house we bought were all wrong for us--even though we were buying new furniture to go in the house...
the flooring colors w/yellow tints and the cabinetry (cherry) were strong influences when we were trying to pick colors...I wanted like various tints of white but those colors just wouldn't work with white--we had to find true beige/tans w/o any pink or other undertones...
not easy to do...

W/ our house in TX--the trim (lots of it w/10 ft ceilings and wide crown and baseboards) was painted a greige sort of color--not my choice--I wanted to repaint all of it white--
but our contractor told us that the finish was sprayed on enamel w/shellac--
very difficult to overpaint and very expensive...but less expensive for the builder initially--
so we kept the darker trim (a decorating clue as to the age of the house from what I have seen in DFW area) and went with a lighter neutral beige--for both walls and ceilings...
I have used that same color in three houses now--all different ages and light factors and found it to be a good true light creamy tan..
might not work for others but does for us...

I wouldn't pick any specific color now--maybe general ideas--but you need to see how your floorplan will get light--window placement and sizes, landscaping (like if there are large trees) or shadows from neighborhing homes can all affect light value inside...
And make sure you know what the undertint is for the colors you like now--
those can be really magnified by the light and other colors in the rooms...

sorry if that sounds like lecture--don't mean it to be--but I have fallen in love with colors on paper/screen and been very disappointed with the actual reality on a wall...

Old 05-06-2014, 07:27 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,833 times
We bought a tear down and will be living in it for 6-8 months while we are waiting for the builder to get to our house. I am using the tear down a test color experiment. I had every room painted a different color inside. And I had the outside painted the colors I am considering using on the house.

I consider the tile in the teardown to be a light neutral beige. The paint colors made the tile look dirty down. that was interesting.

Undertones are an interesting thing. I never knew their were so many shades of white.

Since we are talking about houz, I read the most interesting article last week. it was about complex colors that look different colors in different light. they have lots of different pigments in them. I had a complex color in my house in Cleveland and absolutely loved it. I am searching for that experience again.

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/16548...Between-Colors

loves 2 read--thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Last edited by Cardiff by the Sea; 05-06-2014 at 07:36 AM..

Old 05-06-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post

Is It a Shed? An Office? Neither — It’s a ‘Shoffice’!

That structure is so you. It is exactly the kind of place every mad scientist needs.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:06 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
Do you two celebrate "talk like a pirate day."

I don't wanna be a pirate - YouTube

Old 05-06-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I bet you are a direct descendent of Gasparilla. You don't have to be ashamed. This is America. Be proud of who you are.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:33 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
We have stone floors in our current place and they are killing my knees. When we build, I am going to use wood in the living room and dinning room. Carpet in the bedrooms. Can't decide what to do about the kitchen.

I have read that cork shows wear and scratch patterns. Not so good for under bar stools I figure. But oh my god, does it feel awesome to stand on.

I was sort of set on cork until Hubby dropped a full jar of olives in the kitchen. All I could think was what would it be like to clean this up on cork. Maybe it is not such an issue on the plank-like cork. Don't know.

I have known 2 people who had wood floors in the kitchen and loved it. One even has 4 messy children and I haven't seen any disasters there. But I had a dishwasher incident 20 years ago that caused the sub floor under the vinyl tile in that house to warp. So I am worried about warping.

Any experience with wood or cork in the kitchen?
I currently have wood floors in the kitchen and like them very much. Had them in another house years ago and liked them then. Just changed out my tile floors for the new wood BTW and count it as a good decision.

My sister has cork floors BTW. She loves them, but I do not like the mottled appearance.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:36 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
We bought a tear down and will be living in it for 6-8 months while we are waiting for the builder to get to our house. I am using the tear down a test color experiment. I had every room painted a different color inside. And I had the outside painted the colors I am considering using on the house.

I consider the tile in the teardown to be a light neutral beige. The paint colors made the tile look dirty down. that was interesting.

Undertones are an interesting thing. I never knew their were so many shades of white.

Since we are talking about houz, I read the most interesting article last week. it was about complex colors that look different colors in different light. they have lots of different pigments in them. I had a complex color in my house in Cleveland and absolutely loved it. I am searching for that experience again.

The Case for In-Between Colors

loves 2 read--thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.
and I repainted my house interior Benj Moore -stone harbor, a grey color. In the darker light and shadows it shows a green color. The overall effect is that of a piece of granite with tones of green, white, and grey. I like.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
and I repainted my house interior Benj Moore -stone harbor, a grey color. In the darker light and shadows it shows a green color. The overall effect is that of a piece of granite with tones of green, white, and grey. I like.
Benjamin Moore is the best in terms of complex colors.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:05 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
Quote:
I bet you are a direct descendent of Gasparilla. You don't have to be ashamed. This is America. Be proud of who you are.
Obrero's the pirate. If I was a pirate, I wouldn't have tile floors, I'd have real wood floors because...you know...pirates walk the plank(s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area