Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 06:20 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,102,116 times

Advertisements

We have stone floors in our current place and they are killing my knees. When we build, I am going to use wood in the living room and dinning room. Carpet in the bedrooms. Can't decide what to do about the kitchen.

I have read that cork shows wear and scratch patterns. Not so good for under bar stools I figure. But oh my god, does it feel awesome to stand on.

I was sort of set on cork until Hubby dropped a full jar of olives in the kitchen. All I could think was what would it be like to clean this up on cork. Maybe it is not such an issue on the plank-like cork. Don't know.

I have known 2 people who had wood floors in the kitchen and loved it. One even has 4 messy children and I haven't seen any disasters there. But I had a dishwasher incident 20 years ago that caused the sub floor under the vinyl tile in that house to warp. So I am worried about warping.

Any experience with wood or cork in the kitchen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 07:36 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,345,448 times
Hardwood on my entire downstairs, which includes the kitchen. 10 years, no issues.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:58 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,928,812 times
Had wood floors in our last two houses. Loved them. The only issue was plenty PLENTY of dings from stuff being dropped. But perhaps we are very clumsy. We have travertine now and I like the look better for a FL house.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:10 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,902,192 times
I have bamboo in all of the bedrooms in my house in North Port and I love them. They're pretty sturdy and I love the look. It gives it kind of a tropical feel. Cork sounds really interesting though but I too would wonder about stains, etc. I have never seen cork in a house. I'm kind of envisioning cork like the stopper in a wine bottle. Is that what it would look like or is there a different kind?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:56 PM

174 posts, read 408,687 times
I have cork floors in my house. They came with the house. My floor does not look like wine cork but I'm sure there are different style of tiles to choose from. The floor is a neutral beige color with a clear smooth finish. Overtime, you will need to refinish the top clear coat so the cork is protected from any discoloration or gouges. I do like the way the floor feels and it's not hard on the body, like other flooring. I have mixed feelings on cork flooring. Wear and tear, indentations, cleaning, etc.

I do know that this type of flooring is not recommended for kitchens and bathrooms.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp528 View Post
I have cork floors in my house. They came with the house. My floor does not look like wine cork but I'm sure there are different style of tiles to choose from. The floor is a neutral beige color with a clear smooth finish. Overtime, you will need to refinish the top clear coat so the cork is protected from any discoloration or gouges. I do like the way the floor feels and it's not hard on the body, like other flooring. I have mixed feelings on cork flooring. Wear and tear, indentations, cleaning, etc.

I do know that this type of flooring is not recommended for kitchens and bathrooms.
That sounds like a drag.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I have bamboo in all of the bedrooms in my house in North Port and I love them. They're pretty sturdy and I love the look. It gives it kind of a tropical feel. Cork sounds really interesting though but I too would wonder about stains, etc. I have never seen cork in a house. I'm kind of envisioning cork like the stopper in a wine bottle. Is that what it would look like or is there a different kind?
It also comes in a plank style that looks like wood.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:31 PM

174 posts, read 408,687 times
Another option I read, is use the cork as sub flooring and put tile or wood on top. I'm sure that would be an added expense.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
Hardwood on my entire downstairs, which includes the kitchen. 10 years, no issues.
Have you ever had any big spills?

Old 05-01-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Had wood floors in our last two houses. Loved them. The only issue was plenty PLENTY of dings from stuff being dropped. But perhaps we are very clumsy. We have travertine now and I like the look better for a FL house.
I like the look of travertine. I would cover the world with travertine if the choice were just appearance. The weeks I have been in Florida, my knees totally stop hurting. I come back to LA and within two days all the knee pain comes back.

I am trying to avoid upgrades, being convinced that I can find attractive choices in the standard choices. It is the floors that are bugging me. I don't like tile and I figure it would be just as hard on my knees as the travertine.

But I am also trying to be practical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area