Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 10:49 AM

33 posts, read 57,047 times

Advertisements

Seriously considering a move from NJ. Want to see from people who have made the move, what is the best way to go about moving down? Obviously, I want to make some trips down first and see the areas for myself, but is it a no brainer to rent first? We have a family of 4 including 2 boys ages 5 and 4. Schools and a nice, safe and respected area are our top concerns. Any info on the best way to make this transition is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 12:24 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,955 times
It's really best to rent for a year first. Get to know the area. Be sure you *like* the area. Be sure your job or whatever works out.

With a family of 4 that's a big pain in the butt, though, because you all have lots of "stuff" to move.

Of course, that's my opinion, and opinions vary everywhere.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:36 PM

126 posts, read 156,545 times
I plan on doing what beninfl described in a few years, rent for a year. Get the lay of the land, understand the area, the commute. And while doing that visit other areas, parks, match up my activities to things offered in those area, bribe a condo manager to park on siesta key instead of the public beach area (wink wink). Check out the schools, get opinions, see them for myself, etc. Then be able to make a better decision at that point than I would while checking out properties while on vacation over 1-2 weeks. Nightmare for me is finally making the decision to migrate to Sarasota, putting all my eggs in a house that I saw once or twice on vacation and being stuck there for a few years.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:40 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
I wouldn't say it's a no brainer to rent first. After all, many people don't and do just fine. If it is something you can deal with, I'd say renting first can be a way to get to know the area without getting locked into a house but I had a couple from NJ last year who built a house, decided they wanted to be back in NJ, and sold their home at a profit after expenses so even that can work out, given the right circumstances.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:04 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
We visited many times before moving here. My parents lived here first, so I had an opportunity to get to know the area. I found a teaching job down here and then moved close to where my job was. We had a house built because, at the time, there were very few homes on the market that met our criteria. We rented until our house was done. So, each person has their own preferences and methods for moving. The first thing is to have a job and then go from there.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:26 PM

33 posts, read 57,047 times
If one were to rent first, what would be the main areas to look at? Maybe an area that would put us in a place where would be able to be close to many different developments/communities. Sounds like Lakewood Ranch and Palmer Ranch seem to be 2 of the most popular family recommended areas? What are some of the other family oriented areas that are well respected? A list of options can allow me to do some research in the mean time. Thank you

Old 05-21-2014, 07:16 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMarc12 View Post
If one were to rent first, what would be the main areas to look at? Maybe an area that would put us in a place where would be able to be close to many different developments/communities. Sounds like Lakewood Ranch and Palmer Ranch seem to be 2 of the most popular family recommended areas? What are some of the other family oriented areas that are well respected? A list of options can allow me to do some research in the mean time. Thank you
Depends - where are you going to be working?

We moved from NJ and didn't rent before buying. I think it depends on the market a lot when you are ready to make the move. It was actually cheaper to buy than rent when we moved. If you visit a few times you should have a good idea where you want to be. Plus you need good schools so that narrows it down a bit.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:16 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
What are you looking for specifically? What age are your kids? I'm sure schools are a concern. What type of home are you looking for? Price range or rental range? Pool or no pool? What size? Are you working in Sarasota somewhere? Are you set on Sarasota or would Venice or North Port be OK? You would probably get more bang for your buck in both of those cities.

Anyway, LWR and PR both have many neighborhoods to choose from so if you can give more specifics we can probably nail down the best neighborhoods for you.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:08 PM

244 posts, read 372,975 times
We didn't rent at all but we did go down and do extended stays for awhile, maybe 5 or 6 times.. We will be full time this summer, hopefully late july in LWR, Do you need to secure work ?? I didn't have that issue as i am retired. Schools have been the biggest hassle for us, probably just to picky !!! Good Luck !!!

Old 05-21-2014, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,940 times
I would say rent first. I moved to the area from Houston and we rented in Lithia because we thought that was an area we would want to buy. After being here for 3 mos. we know it isn't and have decided we will buy in Bradenton. Had we bought on our original thoughts we would have wasted a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area