Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 06:05 AM

333 posts, read 1,991,909 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

Hope I have the right section to post this in. We were looking into vacation . Normally we travel to OBX in the summer. Last summer we didn't get a chance to take a vacation due to schedules. But this year we can do it and boy do we need it!

So my planning has all been last minute . Our usual OBX when I started to plan, was basically booked solid. There were a few homes left but not many. We are a family of five (kids ages 17, 12, 9). We all have different likes. My son(9) HATES the beach. He is scared to death of sharks . My 12 year old likes the beach but also likes things to do . The 17 and 9 year old are big amusement park fans.

We thought about Disney. We were there in November for a lax tourney and did get to go then. We love Disney but I didn't want to battle the crowds and the heat. So we think we nixed that.

My husband wanted Bermuda or some place tropical like that, but the airfare for five is outrageous. We would have to plan that well in advance.

So I started looking up things and found Tampa area. We had never been to that side of florida. I have been to the Daytona side because my in laws used to live there. I started finding out more about Anna Maria Island and it sounded wonderful. The water and beach sound fantastic. I thought it would possibly be a good home base if we wanted to venture to Busch Gardens for a day. We would also like to visit an aquarium. My son will be ok if I find other things to do once in awhile..lol

Anyway..we are looking very last minute and have found a couple properties. It's hard though when I don' know the island and Im nervous about taking the plunge. We really need a vacation and of course like everyone else....I want it to be a good one. So since I don't know this area..it is making me a bit anxious.

Our neighbor who moved in last summer that we have become close with....he grew up in Bradenton and told me how lovely and laid back it is. They actually vacation on Anna maria too. So that helped.

My friend is in Viero right now and says it's lovely in the morning but rains for 4-8 hours in the afternoon. I know it's rainy season. We have been to Disney in the summer, but it only rained an hour or so and then was fine. She could be being dramatic

Am I picking the wrong time with the weather? How crowded are the beaches? I am from south jersey so I know crowded beaches! When I went to OBX ...it wasn't really crowded but you did have people next to you..just not on top of you like Jersey. We also went to Topsail where we had the beach in front of our house to ourselves!

Is the entire island walkable? I know there is a trolley. I have a possible condo that is only two bedrooms but it is right on the Gulf. But some are further north of Bradenton and seem further back on AMI(but they have pools). What can I expect? I saw some posts on other forums saying the water is smelly and brown..but I think that was further south? How is the water there so far? We are trying to go the week of 7/27-8/2 or 8/2 to 8/9. What can I typically expect?

Thank you so much for any input you guys have! City-data is always where I get the good info!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 06:13 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,883 times
For the rest of you, who like me, who do not know what OBX stands for, google tells me it is the Outer Banks. Helpful piece of info in understanding the posters preferences/desires.

Original poster, your friend is being dramatic on the amount of rain.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:29 AM

490 posts, read 624,457 times
First welcome to the forum. I can only address a couple of points in your post but there are much more knowledgeable folks here will be able to help you.

You might find the aquarium in Tampa a tad underwhelming. It is pretty small compared to others I've visited. What they do have is very nice but my wife and I kept looking for the rest of it. There is no big outdoor pool with dolphins leaping through hoops or the type of shows you see elsewhere. It is definitely worth visiting if you are in the area but don't plan on spending the entire day there. The Mote Marine Research Center in Sarasota is very interesting. We love that place but it's not large and not a typical aquarium. It's research oriented but open to the public.

The water around AMI is absolutely gorgeous. Maybe there is a part that isn't but I haven't found it. The beaches there shouldn't be that crowded at that time of year but it will be pretty hot. AMI is thought of as old Florida. Very little there is brand spanking new and the people who like to spend time there think of that as a good thing. It is long and narrow. You could walk from the north to the south but I wouldn't want to do it in the heat. Walking from the east to the west is easy and wherever you are there should be a beach within walking distance. There are plenty of rentals that are beachfront though.

While there is the possibility of 8 hour rain days most have an hour or two of rain and plenty of sunshine.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:31 AM

490 posts, read 624,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
For the rest of you, who like me, who do not know what OBX stands for, google tells me it is the Outer Banks. Helpful piece of info in understanding the posters preferences/desires.

Original poster, your friend is being dramatic on the amount of rain.
Thanks Cardiff. I didn't know and was too lazy to google it. It looked like an airport code. You could conceivable vacation in some of the larger ones.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:51 AM

333 posts, read 1,991,909 times
Sorry ..didn't even think you guys wouldn't know OBX. Im used to being on vacation forums asking questions..so the people there know the abbreviation. Sorry about that.

I figured she was. I have been to central florida during summer and it rained for an hour or two and then was perfectly sunny. Im ok with hot since we will be at the beach. Oddly, my area of South Jersey has similar heat. We get very humid and 90's during the summer. I am assuming Busch Gardens will be a day that I will dread..but the kids like it.

I am good with laid back and non commercial. We normally eat breakfast and lunch at the rental and then head out for dinner. I know there are a few places to eat on the island ..so am sure we will head there...Im just wondering if I can drive or would I have to walk.

Good to know on the aquarium.. I have heard of Mote and that there is a eco tour that is very good from there?

Old 07-08-2014, 05:13 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,883 times
Haven't done this but haven't lived here long enough to fit it in. Seems way cool to me.

Kayak Tour in the South Lido Mangrove Tunnels - Sarasota and Bradenton FL - Almost Heaven Kayak Adventures

Assume you have seen the list of attractions.

Things to do in Sarasota: Check out 87 Sarasota Attractions - TripAdvisor

Here is a cool ap that allows you to find a beach that matches your preferences.

Florida Beach Finder |Florida Beaches | VISITFLORIDA.com

Old 07-08-2014, 05:28 PM

707 posts, read 1,052,562 times
Beaches will be relatively uncrowded compared to LI/NJ summertime crowds, as this is our "low season". Besides the Tampa area, you should also look at Longboat Key, Anna Maria (one of my personal favorites), or Siesta Key.

We are also relatively safe from hurricanes in the summer, unlike the Outer Banks, so the likelihood of weather ruining your trip is low. As far as it being the rainy season, I wouldn't say it rains for 3 or 4 hours. More like an hour, in spots, and then the sun is back out, and it's usually later in the afternoon, so your trip won't be a washout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area