Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 03:37 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,992 times

Advertisements

as i understand it, verizon is not expanding their coverage and laying any more fiber optic. therefore, if your neighborhood doesn't already have the wiring, they never will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 09:47 PM

244 posts, read 372,919 times
we move into our new home in about 3-4 weeks in LWR and we have Verizon here in NY and was planning on using them in Florida, now i am not so sure. Brightwaters may be the way to go, my bigger concern will be watching Yankee games...

Old 07-20-2014, 06:17 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luby162 View Post
we move into our new home in about 3-4 weeks in LWR and we have Verizon here in NY and was planning on using them in Florida, now i am not so sure. Brightwaters may be the way to go, my bigger concern will be watching Yankee games...
That is what sports bars are for.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:01 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
We don't have a choice as Brighthouse is the cable provider at our condo complex. My first HD box was constantly failing -- I'd hit a button on the remote and suddenly I'd have a black screen with "please wait" or some such thing....sometimes it would clear up on its own and other times I'd have to re-set....what a pain.

Also, I hate their On-Demand as compared to Comcast's up North. The shows aren't updated timely....or they'll have only the non-HD version of a show or movie....anyway, I ended up having to sign up for DVR because I didn't want to wait three days to watch "Survivor", so I guess their strategy worked..... And the new DVR box magically cleared up the "please wait" problems I was having before. I still hate their On Demand though.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:12 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,199,428 times
Liby, forget Yankee games, Knicks, Giants. My son and husband had to pay for a separate packages to run the season for each individual team. You have to pay for an NFL season ticket. Can't get Yankees because its Cablevision. You have to hit the bars and then you're lucky if anyone wants to watch NY.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
Liby, forget Yankee games, Knicks, Giants. My son and husband had to pay for a separate packages to run the season for each individual team. You have to pay for an NFL season ticket. Can't get Yankees because its Cablevision. You have to hit the bars and then you're lucky if anyone wants to watch NY.
This is what i have heard, One of my buddies told me to subscribe to the MLB network or something like that and the NFL package for the Jets which means i would need direct TV which i don't even know if i can have in LWR. Verizon told me on the phone that i can get the YES network for the Yankee games, a friend of mine who lives in Bradenton also told me that we are too close to Tampa so the Yes network has to black out the games...

Old 07-22-2014, 09:35 PM

Called both Verizon and Brighthouse today and the billing is almost the same, Verizon is more expensive by 2.35 so i am thinking of sticking with Verixon Fios, Quantum was an additional 20 bucks. both prices are 40 bucks more than i am paying now but we have 2 more TVs there than we do here.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:00 PM

28 posts, read 52,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luby162 View Post
This is what i have heard, One of my buddies told me to subscribe to the MLB network or something like that and the NFL package for the Jets which means i would need direct TV which i don't even know if i can have in LWR. Verizon told me on the phone that i can get the YES network for the Yankee games, a friend of mine who lives in Bradenton also told me that we are too close to Tampa so the Yes network has to black out the games...
I would consider using a sports streaming site (IE First Row Sports) and an ad blocking extension for your web browser. It's not a perfect solution by any means, but it beats paying out the ass for a sports package where you'll only view a small fraction of their total programming lineup.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:19 PM

will have to look into that Harry, thanks......

Old 07-28-2014, 04:21 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
And when all else fails - there is always the Rays. When in Rome and all that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area