U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 03:29 PM

11,762 posts, read 3,534,628 times

Advertisements

kom said: "Also, part of the problem is the sheer number of cars on the road, especially in wintertime, Im not sure that self driving cars will help much in this."

Today's traffic volume was brutal, especially along 41 between South Venice and Palmer Ranch. I'm hoping America's schools resume Monday, and things will quiet down a bit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 08:12 PM

6,864 posts, read 10,368,964 times
It seems that developers are getting desperate for multi family zoned land. A short time ago, I was on Cattlemen Rd, I think somewhere near Webber St. Cattlemen Rd is basically office building and semi industrial and business related. So it was surprising to see a new multi buildings, multi story residential complex being constructed on the east side of the street, backing up to I-75 . The land had to be re-zoned to allow it.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:37 PM

3,590 posts, read 8,480,566 times
I drive from Nokomis to Lakewood Ranch every day and just one small accident sends everyone into gridlock for hours and the only alternative route is Honore with ten million roundabouts and slow going -its terrible

Old 01-05-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
I drive from Nokomis to Lakewood Ranch every day and just one small accident sends everyone into gridlock for hours and the only alternative route is Honore with ten million roundabouts and slow going -its terrible
Its going to get much worse. Have you seen all the new housing going in along Honore between Central Sarasota Pkwy and Laurel? Some of it is high density apartments.

Honore used to be my little secret to travel north and south quickly, but not for much longer.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:53 PM

3,590 posts, read 8,480,566 times
Yes, I was surprised to see three story apartments on East Laurel - of course not affordable housing for the people that service the area but going to be expensive apartments - no improvement in the roads at all - not too mentions the thousands of homes being built

Old 01-07-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
Yes, I was surprised to see three story apartments on East Laurel - of course not affordable housing for the people that service the area but going to be expensive apartments - no improvement in the roads at all - not too mentions the thousands of homes being built
They are extedning Bay Stret from Honore to 41. It might already be open, I have not tried it yet.

If you call installing traffic circles an improvement, they've installed 2 of those on Honore already.

They need to start improving the interesection of Honore and Laurel now to get ahead of the traffic explosion all the new housing along Honore will require, but I'd be shocked if they did so.

There's also a new school, or two, going in along Honore.

Take a good look at Honore between Central Sarasota Pkwy and Laurel while you can, because all that open space is going away...and the Bald Eagles that live there will be going with it.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:24 AM

333 posts, read 163,501 times
If there was an award for kowtowing to developers at the expense of residents, Sarasota would be a sure in.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombuchaluchador View Post
If there was an award for kowtowing to developers at the expense of residents, Sarasota would be a sure in.
It's all about the population density they approve, the setbacks, and building heights.

The Vue downtown is perfect example of not doing ANY of those things correctly, and yes to overlook so many rules and precedents make one wonder if Kolter cuddled up to the County or City, or both, on that calamity.

When zero lot lines, high rises, apartments, condo's are approved too close to one another, that is when we get traffic issues.

Its a constant struggle between residents, city/county, and developers. Many developers want to cram as many people into each square inch they own to maximize profits. This is why our roads are clogged up.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideNews View Post
geez, a 5 yer old topic??
It could very well be a 230+ year old topic, because its been going on since the birth of our nation.

It will continue to go on until humans leave Earth to populate another planet.

Its ageless and timeless.

The roads and other infrastructure (school classrooms as just 1 example) are always trailing behind residential occupational permits. The syste is broken, and has been forever, and always will be.

The only time it seems to do better is when we have a master planned community like Palmer Ranch, the West Villages, and Lakewood Ranch. Now, even Lakewood Ranch has its own traffic issues.

This topic thread may outlive us all!

Old 01-10-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombuchaluchador View Post
Venice would be a close 2nd....read this:

https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...mpaign-mailing

Developers pay big money to campaign for politicians. What do they get in return? Whatever they get isnt good for typical homeowners and commuters.

This "dark money" must be outlawed so there can be adequate transparency.

A local leader is trying to make dark money illegal, so please support him...Joe Gruters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area