U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 07:06 PM

6,864 posts, read 10,383,380 times

Advertisements

The county has come to our rescue to solve the traffic problems. They are removing traffic lights/stop signs at intersections and installing a concrete circle and refer to it as a 'roundabout'. Never mind that they are poorly designed and too small with no intersection improvement. Our tax dollars are at work to alleviate our traffic problems.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 06:21 AM

11,810 posts, read 3,573,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
The county has come to our rescue to solve the traffic problems. They are removing traffic lights/stop signs at intersections and installing a concrete circle and refer to it as a 'roundabout'. Never mind that they are poorly designed and too small with no intersection improvement. Our tax dollars are at work to alleviate our traffic problems.
A big reason they use the circles is to control the speed of cars. If there's a circle every 300 yards, its very hard to exceeed 35 mph. So, voila, the eliminate the need for law enforcement to write speeding tickets by making sure no cars can speed. They are like speed bumps in that regard.

I forget which road has so many of them,Bee Ridge or Fruitville, but after I drove that gauntlet 3 or 4 times I told my wife we cant buy a home out this way because I wont deal with all of those circles. They also wear out tires if you have soft racing tires.

They confuse the heck out of elderly drivrs too. I saw an elderly lady driving the wrong direction within the Jacaranda circle...poor lady must have been terrified.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:59 AM

New Traffic Signals Installed at Busy West Villages Intersection

Thisisa step in the right direction for the City of North Port. They are adding traffic lights and turn lanes in 2 areas where volume is growing rapidly. Its being funded locally by City, County (from taxes) and Developer dollars.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:18 AM

213 posts, read 103,160 times
Until there are intelligent traffic signals that analyze traffic flow and backup, I'll take Sarasota's preference for roundabouts.

I deal with the Central Sarasota Parkway and Macintosh stoplight almost daily. What a train-wreck.

As for "Thisisa" - I'm guessing you had a confeve moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
New Traffic Signals Installed at Busy West Villages Intersection

Thisisa step in the right direction for the City of North Port. They are adding traffic lights and turn lanes in 2 areas where volume is growing rapidly. Its being funded locally by City, County (from taxes) and Developer dollars.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
Until there are intelligent traffic signals that analyze traffic flow and backup, I'll take Sarasota's preference for roundabouts.

I deal with the Central Sarasota Parkway and Macintosh stoplight almost daily. What a train-wreck.

As for "Thisisa" - I'm guessing you had a confeve moment.
I go through that intersection often myself. Other than the lights staying Red for way too long, I dont see any huge issues with it.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:21 PM

213 posts, read 103,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I go through that intersection often myself. Other than the lights staying Red for way too long, I dont see any huge issues with it.
That's part of the issue. If you've stumbled upon it from 4-5pm, CSP is backed up to the bridge and Macintosh is clear on both sides.

The beauty of roundabouts is they continuously balance the traffic flow through the intersection.

It's disappointing that we don't have adaptive traffic lights, so roundabouts (and education) are our best bets.

Seems that you live in the boondocks. But CSP is going to get unusable when South Honore is built out. I wish they'd be proactive and put in a (properly designed) two lane roundabout at Mac' and CSP.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
That's part of the issue. If you've stumbled upon it from 4-5pm, CSP is backed up to the bridge and Macintosh is clear on both sides.

The beauty of roundabouts is they continuously balance the traffic flow through the intersection.

It's disappointing that we don't have adaptive traffic lights, so roundabouts (and education) are our best bets.

Seems that you live in the boondocks. But CSP is going to get unusable when South Honore is built out. I wish they'd be proactive and put in a (properly designed) two lane roundabout at Mac' and CSP.
We are in the boondocks right now, but not for long. I'm enjoying it while it lasts. I have to drive up your way because I prefer the retail there.

CSP will become gridlock after Honore is built out. Bay Street too even though it just opened. All those new residents along Honore will need to travel West to shop, gas up, eat out, everything. There's no retail along Honore. They can go South to Laurel Publix strip center, so that's an option if you dont mind paying Publix prices.

Oscar Sherer Park will be the only thing in that area to thin out population density. That is one of the reasons I didn't wind up in Esplanade by Taylor Morisson along Honore. We almost wound up in there.

5 years from now, CSP and Bay Street will be parking lots. Everyone will need to have groceries delivered and everything else they consume to avoid the traffic.

Its all about density, and extra wide road easements so significant widening can occur. CSP should be getting widened right now to 4 lanes each way, and that roundabout is way too small.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:28 PM

6,864 posts, read 10,383,380 times
All the miniature and poorly designed 'roundabouts' are constructed in the county right of way. A properly designed roundabout requires a lot of space. The county will not buy land or get involved in eminent domain to properly construct them. They don't even bother to make intersection improvements by rounding off the sharp enter and exit roadways.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
All the miniature and poorly designed 'roundabouts' are constructed in the county right of way. A properly designed roundabout requires a lot of space. The county will not buy land or get involved in eminent domain to properly construct them. They don't even bother to make intersection improvements by rounding off the sharp enter and exit roadways.
I agree with the newer ones they are putting in (espeically CSP @ Honore), but a few of the older ones are much larger. They all need much better lighting at night so motorists who are unfamiliar dont drive right through the center of them.

They are not being done properly, and I agree, they wont admit it and get in to land acquisition issues.

I heard they are removing the Jacaranda circle because it won't be able to handle future volume, and that one is much larger.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:36 AM

4,835 posts, read 13,026,754 times
Next method of acquiring land for roadwork - eminent domain - which is now being used for traffic circle building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area