Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 2,702 times

Advertisements

Moved to Sarasota 13 years ago from S I NY and would never go back. Family was all up north and over the years they have been moving down and we have lots of visitors. We love Sarasota. School and culture was important to us in raising our children. We are the best school zone and a community with families. We have made a lot of friends and truly enjoy the ability to be outdoors. Hopefully she will give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 06:26 AM

528 posts, read 866,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Most people would love to live in FL, but the reason they don't and stay in NJ/NY etc, is because they are doing much better in the North than they ever will in the South.
And that's probably why FL has not become as insane as CA. The influx of year round new residents is still not too high after all.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbarr2000 View Post
If this helps your argument, I am from upstate NY and had really bad allergies and they are much improved here in FL.
Yea I knew something was wrong because when I first got to CA my allergies got worse immediately, nearly overnight and developed bronchitis and things I never got in FL.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:11 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,135 times
Just a heads up ~ rentals are hard to find; the one's which are available are sky high & we're not even in season, our restaurants are already increasing prices; again, not season yet & with the snow already hitting out west, I imagine we'll see an even greater population increase than last year ~ earlier.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Just a heads up ~ rentals are hard to find; the one's which are available are sky high & we're not even in season, our restaurants are already increasing prices; again, not season yet & with the snow already hitting out west, I imagine we'll see an even greater population increase than last year ~ earlier.
You're the same one who replied to me in the last thread and again, I will not be taking just one persons advice and some people are realtors on here also trying to push the most expensive properties.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:59 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,734,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
You're the same one who replied to me in the last thread and again, I will not be taking just one persons advice and some people are realtors on here also trying to push the most expensive properties.
Really? Example?

Old 09-15-2014, 07:57 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Quote:
Ok, I will make it two. We own an apartment building with affordable rents. We bounced a tenant on August 14. She was out by the 18th. We had 16 applicants for that vacancy in 5 days. Some of the applicants were staying with relatives and had been looking for two months.

Big apartment complexes have a scam going on. They charge $40-75 to fill out an application. This is not a credit check. It is an application fee. They charge people they have no intention of renting to this fee. If we had charged our 16 applicants a $50 fee, even though there were only a few of the 16 we would be willing to rent to, we would have been $800 richer. Finding a place to even apply without putting you through extortion will be difficult.

When we advertised this unit on craigslist, there were maybe 20 other ads in our price range, but they were all for two complexes--one in the ghetto and one that was like a concentration camp complex on Fruitville Road.

August should be the easiest month in which to find a rental. So Ladywithafan nailed it. Rentals will be hard to find and expensive.

Also, tourism hit all time records for the months of June, July, August this year. Even higher than before the economic meltdown. My husband's barber just raised his rates from $20 to $23. Restaurants are phasing out their specials at the end of September.

Not trying to say don't come. Trying to say be prepared to face adversity.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:00 AM

173 posts, read 219,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neildiamond11790 View Post
Aside from loving my time in Sarasota/Siesta Key on vacations, I just really despise NY now. 2 young kids, trapped in the house all winter, virtually no springs anymore just goes from freezing cold, to 1 week nice weather, to hot/humid summers.

I like the heat, it just doesn't last long enough. It takes the ocean 2 months of high heat to just hit 70 degrees. The water is dirty, the sand is coarse and (I don't want to speak about the north shore of long island water and sand, ewww).

The taxes are ridiculous, the heating costs are asburd, the electric costs keep increasing and the housing, forget it, $400K buys you for the most part absolutely nothing in decent areas, a complete renovation in ok areas. If you can swing $500k you get a lot more, and taxes in the $12-15k range, no thanks.

I like to swim, fish, golf, and does that say NY to you? Well, 4 months of the year, but thats my point it is not enough. I know the negatives of Florida, I know the stereotypes that most people that only spend a week at Disney every 4 years know, they don't know the SW corrider of FL however.

I want a modest house, cheap taxes and access to the outdoors most of the year. My wife however will not consider, its been a possibility, but its out the door now. And its all do to family. Now I get family, I understand some people that cannot live far away, but I also get people that want to live their life. She hates NY to, and I just find it annoying tostay living in a high cost area just for people you see once a month or less. I truly admire people that kind of go their own ways, seeking places to live in that they love, and I guess thats really my issue, I am tired of living in a place that has no appeal to me. I could care less about Manhattan, I am not a large city person, while I love the Hamptons, living there is just not a possibility without a few million in the bank. The few positives of NY for me do not outweigh the misery of everything else.

Rant over. If you have any tips on getting a spouse to be on board for a move, please let me know.
Take me with you LOL! It is only September 9th and was already 52 degrees this morning and I am still waiting for the Summer to arrive in the NE !

Last edited by Bx10461; 09-15-2014 at 08:51 AM..

Old 09-15-2014, 09:28 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,347 times
Quote:

Wow, nice way to slap someone in the face who is doing nothing but give you valuable info for free. Lady is not a realtor, she's a property manager that deals in rentals & she is 100% correct. Just because it's something you do not want to hear, there is no reason to be snippy & accusatory to the long term posters & residents on here

Old 09-15-2014, 02:56 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Rentals are definitely more expensive and more scarce here than I have ever seen in my history of living here (total of 23 years).

OP, you might have better luck for affordable apartments in Bradenton, or St. Pete (your other choice). Also, if you don't mind living in a rougher neighborhood or just renting a room somewhere you might find something here. But Sarasota market is definitely tough right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area