Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 06:35 AM

597 posts, read 1,443,223 times

Advertisements

I have had several people ask me to repost this info that I wrote giving my opinion on how to sell a house. So I am reposting this to others can read it. I am sure others have different ideas but this is just my suggestions and it is what has worked for me.

This was in response to someone asking about Zillow, here is my response.

The last house I sold went for $75,000 higher than Zillow and from listing date to moving out date was 38 days. We could have listed it higher but I hate waiting. There is NO WAY these sites can be accurate. They do a disservice.

My best advice I can give anyone who wants to sell their home is :

1.) clean out your house, closets, garage,etc. stuffed closets gives the impression of not having enough storage.

2.) get rid of that old teddy bear collection or the plate collection that you have been dusting off for years. There should be nothing that shows your personality because then the next person can't picture themselves in the house. Don't forget to remove all the kids pics,etc. No one wants to see them except you. It's time to pack them away.

3.) Rent a storage unit if you have to and pack up everything that you do not need. Get it out of the house. You will be happy you did this when you sell. You will have a lot moved out already.

4.) if you don't want to renovate, at least consider painting and expecially your front door, replacing old, outdated hardware in the kitchen and bath, buy new WHITE towels and bed linens....think hotel!!! There are reasons why hotels don't have black and gold satin comforters or ones with hideous flowers. Also ditch the throw rugs. They are trip hazards and are distracting.

I HIGHLY suggest painting any room that is a horrible/dated color. If you can....every room should be neutral. Not bright blue, red,mauve,etc. This is so distracting and it will turn buyers off.

5.)buy a new welcome mat, 2 pots and fill them with welcoming flowers to go on each side of the door. Yellow and purple mix looks really nice. If it is winter and you live in the snow, then look for 2 cute evergreen trees that will fit and you can make them look elegant and welcoming. The front door is your first impression...you will only get to make that once. So make sure your front door looks like something from a magazine.

6.) Clear your counters and tables,etc If there is a surface, it doesn't mean you have to have junk all over it. In the kitchen, I usually have one wire basket with fruit. I also like to use clear glass apothecary jars filled with fake lemons in one and limes in the other. Bathroom....a small apothecary jar with epsom salt and a natural sponge looks good. Also, lots and lots of snow white fluffy towels in bath. (think spa) No one wants to see your nasty tooth brush, hair brush, etc. CLEAR THE COUNTERS and close your toilet seats!

7.) if you have no imagination go to Pinterest.com and search Bathroom decor, etc. they have all kinds of ideas that will help you. Also, look at the pics.....do your rooms look like the ones you are seeing? If not, rethink what you have in a room.

8.) Seperate yourself from the house. Divorce it...this has to be done so you can look at it objectively and not be thinking " Oh I can't get rid of Grandma's spoon collection" Have a few friends walk in and critique it for you. DO NOT BE INSULTED.....it's now about you selling your home, not sharing your decorating skills with the new buyer.

9.) Hire an inspector....I always have my homes inspected before I have them listed. That way I KNOW what is wrong with my house and it gives me a chance to fix everything. I use this as a selling feature. I have the inspection on the counter with the receipts showing it was taken care of. It takes the wonder out of the true condition. The buyer will still have their own inspection, but this way there are no surprises and it will give you a chance to shop around for quotes for repairs vs end up giving up more after the inspection and have to renegotiate.

10) HIRE A REALTOR...I know many people will think they would rather save the money but in the end, it will get you more and get your house sold. I have sold many, many homes and condo's in my life and never once have I done it on my own AND my homes always sell fast and for more money than other homes in the area. Get a good Realtor and partner with them on this journey but make sure they are a good one and not Aunt Betty's, neighbor's sister's cousin who only sold one house in their entire career.

NOTE: If the realtor is sending out huge post cards with pictures of them wearing a big hat.....don't hire them. If that is their best marketing plan then they are living in the 80's and you will need to look for someone more current and up dated. Think about it....where do you go that women are wearing big goofy hats? No where. That is not normal....Trust me, this person will not know how to sell homes today.

11.) BEFORE you price your home....ask your Realtor to take you and show you the competition. It will help you know what your home should be priced at.

12.) Laundry baskets can be your friend. Put one in each room and when your house is listed, if you get a call for a showing....grab up everything that shouldn't be out and put it in your basket and you can stash it in your car when you leave for the showing. It makes getting ready for the showing, really fast.

We all think our homes are worth more but reality is they will sell for what people think of them and over pricing them is only going to cause them to sit on the market and everyone will know they are over priced.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents..... Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 09:29 AM

126 posts, read 156,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberxer View Post
Big Hats ?? LOL

I met a woman at Sq 1, another realestatewhore, and she gave me a card with her picture on it, and she too was wearing a stupid freekin big hat... !

too funny
I would also add guys under 60 that wear fedoras to the list of will not hire.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:40 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,509 times
Those are wonderful tips. It's pretty much what we did when we sold our house up north. We loaded our truck and were on our way to FL and had 3 offers on that big OLD house on our way here!

Old 08-12-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neildiamond11790 View Post
Are you talking about the ones who wear fedoras while holding a suit jacket over their shoulder while standing in the water?

There is actually one in Naples that has some ornate desk on the beach and of course there is the woman with the big goofy hat. I think she think's she is at the Kentucky Derby. I have an MBA and I can assure you, this is not clever marketing.

Then let's not forget the agents that wear the low cut dresses to show off their (new) assests. (Going for the "sex sells" technique)

The Realtor I use doesn't advertise his face, he advertises houses. Imagine that concept! LOL

People just need to take a good look at the person who they are hiring. There are lots of awesome agents out there. Many of which are right here on this board and I am betting the ones on this board are not wearing goofy hats or sitting at desks on the beach.

Last edited by ILoveLidoBeach; 08-12-2014 at 10:25 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 12:02 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberxer View Post
Big Hats ?? LOL

I met a woman at Sq 1, another realestatewhore, and she gave me a card with her picture on it, and she too was wearing a stupid freekin big hat... !

too funny
OMG - that must mean the "Hat Lady" is still selling around here! LOL Yup, google her (hat lady realtor sarasota) and you will see who I mean....

Old 08-12-2014, 12:09 PM

126 posts, read 156,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
Are you talking about the ones who wear fedoras while holding a suit jacket over their shoulder while standing in the water?

There is actually one in Naples that has some ornate desk on the beach and of course there is the woman with the big goofy hat. I think she think's she is at the Kentucky Derby. I have an MBA and I can assure you, this is not clever marketing.

Then let's not forget the agents that wear the low cut dresses to show off their (new) assests. (Going for the "sex sells" technique)

The Realtor I use doesn't advertise his face, he advertises houses. Imagine that concept! LOL

People just need to take a good look at the person who they are hiring. There are lots of awesome agents out there. Many of which are right here on this board and I am betting the ones on this board are not wearing goofy hats or sitting at desks on the beach.
Not speaking of anyone in particular. I live in NY, and during the beach months, fedoras have reached epidemic status. They have signs in the Hamptons:

Old 08-12-2014, 12:28 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
Quote:
Ok, I'll bite. The photos that annoy me are the ones where the agent is holding the cell phone to their ear.

By the way, props to IloveLidoBeach for the great post!

I would add one category of suggestions to home sellers regarding their pets. If your agent tells you there's a distinct pet odor in your home that you need to take care of - believe them. Along that line, buyers don't want to see pet toys all over the floor, chewed places on the sliding doors frame, pet stains on the carpet and please pick up after they do their business in the yard. Buyers do like to take a stroll around the outside of a home if they like it. Lint rollers are great for removing pet hair from the upholstered furniture. And don't leave a huge pet crate in the kitchen, living room or in the master bedroom. Move it to the garage for the showing.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Not speaking of anyone in particular. I live in NY, and during the beach months, fedoras have reached epidemic status. They have signs in the Hamptons:

OMG I love that sign! We need to have those posted around Sarasota for the transplants that move down with their fedoras and for the Realtors who think they look cool.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Ok, I'll bite. The photos that annoy me are the ones where the agent is holding the cell phone to their ear.

By the way, props to IloveLidoBeach for the great post!

I would add one category of suggestions to home sellers regarding their pets. If your agent tells you there's a distinct pet odor in your home that you need to take care of - believe them. Along that line, buyers don't want to see pet toys all over the floor, chewed places on the sliding doors frame, pet stains on the carpet and please pick up after they do their business in the yard. Buyers do like to take a stroll around the outside of a home if they like it. Lint rollers are great for removing pet hair from the upholstered furniture. And don't leave a huge pet crate in the kitchen, living room or in the master bedroom. Move it to the garage for the showing.

OMG I forgot about the ones who have pics of them holding their phone. That's a brilliant marketing idea because no one else uses the phone. LOL

Good point about the dog/cat odors. Cages, toys, bags of dog food and water bowls should be removed. The yard poo bombs are the worst. I remember looking at a home on Bird Key that the owners had 2 huge dogs and there were bombs everywhere.

If the carpets smell like dirty dog have them shampoo'd!

Old 08-12-2014, 09:52 PM

72 posts, read 139,691 times
ILoveLidoBeach: Thank-you for your post. I have copied it and saved it for myself in an easy to find location. I hope to use your advice soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: